Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A whole fleet of chevy sonics made an appearance at the woodward dream cruise today. Supposedly they have started shipments of the new model this week. Didn't see any sedans though, all of them were hatchbacks. Personally I hate the look of hatchbacks but considering that they didn't look all that bad.

·
Registered
665 Posts
A whole fleet of chevy sonics made an appearance at the woodward dream cruise today. Supposedly they have started shipments of the new model this week. Didn't see any sedans though, all of them were hatchbacks. Personally I hate the look of hatchbacks but considering that they didn't look all that bad.
I thought they started shipments a couple months ago. I have seen 9 without manufacture plates in the last 2 months.

This reminds me of the PT Cruiser fiascal where a bunch of people (200 vehicles) did a appearance together saying it was so cool and it would be like this for years to come.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I thought they started shipments a couple months ago. I have seen 9 without manufacture plates in the last 2 months.

This reminds me of the PT Cruiser fiascal where a bunch of people (200 vehicles) did a appearance together saying it was so cool and it would be like this for years to come.
Me too... I've seen a couple driving around with regular temp dealer paper tags on them...

Mike

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me too... I've seen a couple driving around with regular temp dealer paper tags on them...

Mike
First I've heard of them already being available, I didn't actually confirm with a gm rep about release date, I later heard it on channel 7 news. Pretty happy I didn't order one instead of a cruze last month. They are pretty nice, but definately a bit of a step down as far as looks and size goes.

someone from detroit?!?!?!?! i was at the dream cruse all week!
Yeh, I ended up going in the afternoon after getting off work early. I'm from Lincoln Park.. would have been kinda cool to hook up with another member. By the way, I used to work at Hi-Tech transmission in Farmington Hills blackeco. Are they still in business?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I saw a silver one on I-75 south of Toledo, OH on Aug. 6th. It had MI plates on it. I couldn't tell if they were manufacturer's plates or not. Really very nice looking for such a small car. I liked it better than a Mazda2 or a FIT.

Jim

·
Registered
395 Posts
The first Sonics started shipping from the factory to dealers on 8/17. There have been a lot of them out there running around though on manufacturer plates. Chevy had one at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway around the Brickyard time and they are very impressive little cars. A lot of the First Take reviews in car magazines were conducted there since Chevy invited all the journalists and had a small road course setup.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first Sonics started shipping from the factory to dealers on 8/17. There have been a lot of them out there running around though on manufacturer plates. Chevy had one at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway around the Brickyard time and they are very impressive little cars. A lot of the First Take reviews in car magazines were conducted there since Chevy invited all the journalists and had a small road course setup.
So they did ship in the past week. I was starting to wonder if the channel 7 news anchor around here was smoking a little :stoner:

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
And it was the pace car for the Sprint Cup race at MIS today.

·
Registered
665 Posts
As I said, there have been a lot on regular plates. I know what the manufacture plate look like and the ones I have been seeing for the last 2 months didn't have them. Maybe fleet cars or employee purchases? The manufacture vehicles have been on the road for 4 months now at least. My parent neighbor got his in March for testing, he likes my Cruze more and he was driving the LTZ.

·
Registered
395 Posts
So they did ship in the past week. I was starting to wonder if the channel 7 news anchor around here was smoking a little :stoner:
According to GM they did.....but I will believe it when they actually show up. The Sonic intro is unlike any that I have seen so far. Normally we order every single unit for our lot and spec it how we want. This time they are shipping two to every dealer and we have no idea what we are getting other than they are 1LT automatics, one hatchback and one sedan.

And it was the pace car for the Sprint Cup race at MIS today.
I saw that too. I wonder what they did to the engine in that thing! At the Speedway here it's usually a Camaro or Corvette that doesn't get anything other than communications and safety equipment but no way a Sonic could do that.

As I said, there have been a lot on regular plates. I know what the manufacture plate look like and the ones I have been seeing for the last 2 months didn't have them. Maybe fleet cars or employee purchases? The manufacture vehicles have been on the road for 4 months now at least. My parent neighbor got his in March for testing, he likes my Cruze more and he was driving the LTZ.
Yeah I imagine up there that you see quite a few of the newer models than elsewhere in the country. My guess is that the ones on regular plates are from rental or corporate fleets. Speculation on my part though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yeah I imagine up there that you see quite a few of the newer models than elsewhere in the country. My guess is that the ones on regular plates are from rental or corporate fleets. Speculation on my part though.
You are probably right, typically fleet orders are processed first. I mean who are you going to ship to first, the guy buying quantity or the guy buying one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had ordered a turbo sedan back in july, but my build date wasn't until mid sept. When this eco w/connectivity package showed up on the lot marked down to $17.9k and I had a $1.5k discount mailer from GM bringing it down to $16.4K I just told them to scrap my order and had them move my down payment over to my new cruze. I still would have loved to have had the LT sedan with the turbo 6MT.. but $400 for a larger car with same engine transmission won me over. (the LT was $16010 after my USAA discount or something like that)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.