Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chevy Volt totaled in car crash, doesn’t catch fire

June 2, 2012

Safety concerns stemming from the Chevy Volt's battery pack may be cooled after a woman driving a Toyota Camry crashed into a parked Volt with nary a blaze to be found.
Generally speaking auto accidents are never something to be happy about. Unless of course you happen to be General Motors and the car in question is the company’s beleaguered Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid. Why would GM be happy over such an incident you ask? It’s simple really, nothing caught fire.
According to the reports from the Livingston County News, a Chevy Volt in Geneseo, New York, was involved in a rather brutal accident when a driver ran a stop sign, lost control of her Toyota Camry, and plowed right into the parked vehicle. Luckily the driver of the Camry didn’t sustain any life-threatening injuries, but the Volt she rammed into didn’t fare so well. As you can see from the (below) image, it was practically demolished. While the owner of the Volt was likely upset, parent company GM will certainly take pleasure in knowing that the Volt didn’t catch fire upon or after impact.

Read more: Chevy Volt totaled in car crash, doesn't catch fire | Digital Trends

Chevy Volt totaled in car crash, doesn't catch fire | Digital Trends

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On an aside, if you go to the main article, the Toyota Camry that hit the Volt, actually DID catch fire.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The Camry was also out of control and speeding. I wonder ... Despite what the NHTSA and NASA said about the Toyota unexplained acceleration I suspect there is a problem in some Toyotas. I personally have experienced electrical inductance problems that have cause parts of a car to fail, so I can't rule out that a combination of a software edge condition not being properly handled along with inductance induced electrical surges being the actual culprit. The problem is that this combination would be very intermittant and almost impossible to find.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,599 Posts
Holy god, it looks like it was hit by a steamroller. A Camry did that?!

It may not have caught fire, but it looks like if anyone had been driving that Volt, they would have been killed. How fast was the other driver going?

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Camry was also out of control and speeding. I wonder ... Despite what the NHTSA and NASA said about the Toyota unexplained acceleration I suspect there is a problem in some Toyotas.
*sigh* Does nobody think to simply shift into neutral when this happens?

Oh, wait. American drivers and thinking are mutually exclusive. Never mind.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ok... that Volt looks like it was hit with missile! I would be very concerned because that could have been a stop light/sign & OP occupied. I'm no accident expert & don't pretend to play one on the Internet, but I thought the Volt had a 5 Star crash test rating & would not appear so... well, destroyed to put it mildly.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,747 Posts
Ok... that Volt looks like it was hit with missile! I would be very concerned because that could have been a stop light/sign & OP occupied. I'm no accident expert & don't pretend to play one on the Internet, but I thought the Volt had a 5 Star crash test rating & would not appear so... well, destroyed to put it mildly.
The rear right tire held up pretty well though. It isn't flat. Maybe scuffed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Without rereading the article, I believe I remember that the Camry was airborne at least twice. The last being when it bottomed out on the cement driveway and then "bounced" sideswiping the Grand Cherokee and kind of landing on the Volt, going over it and then crashing into the garage. I think the force was so great that it moved both vehicles it hit by around 25 feet. I think some of the Camry's under carriage might still be on the roof of the Volt.

Main article:
http://thelcn.com/2012/05/23/driver-plows-into-two-cars-in-geneseo-driveway/

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...aw, that'll buff out, just gotta use lots & LOTS of polishing compound!

Reactions: JMORIN

·
Registered
343 Posts
Without rereading the article, I believe I remember that the Camry was airborne at least twice. The last being when it bottomed out on the cement driveway and then "bounced" sideswiping the Grand Cherokee and kind of landing on the Volt, going over it and then crashing into the garage. I think the force was so great that it moved both vehicles it hit by around 25 feet. I think some of the Camry's under carriage might still be on the roof of the Volt.

Main article:
Driver plows into two cars in Geneseo driveway
Ok... thanks for clearing that up. Seems nothing would have avoided that much force. My missile analogy is not that far from what the Camary became (ballistic) as it landed on the car.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Despite having a superb safety rating, depending on the location, speed, other vehicle involved and a slew of other factors, no car is completely safe and will still look like a wreck after another vehicle hits it. Even if it was something like a mini-van or a large truck (like a Silverado or a F150), it can still do a brutal amount of damage. Keep in mind that this car was stationary, and the amount of force on impact (depending on speed, etc..) could of been similar to have being hit by a truck or larger.

For this to have happened, the Camry would have had to have been travelling at a high rate of speed and probably didnt' slow down on impact.

They are lucky no one was in the Volt and there were no life threatening injuries.

·
Registered
283 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts