Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello cruzetalkers. I need your help/advice. I Replaced front brake pads today. In the process of compressing the Pistons I got a small chip on the putter edge. At least I think is small. I think I should be fine/safe to drive ? Or Do I need A new piston or caliper? Is it dangerous to drive it like this can I leave it How it is?
I forgot to take a picture of the actual piston. But I have pictures of the chip itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello cruzetalkers. I need your help/advice. I Replaced front brake pads today. In the process of compressing the Pistons I got a small chip on the putter edge. At least I think is small. I think I should be fine/safe to drive ? Or Do I need A new piston or caliper? Is it dangerous to drive it like this can I leave it How it is?
I forgot to take a picture of the actual piston. But I have pictures of the chip itself.
It's hard to say without seeing the piston. I've chipped one before - using the wrong tool :( - but the chip was on the inside of the rim and did not affect the seal or the brake pad.

Is it holding fluid? If it's not leaking, you're probably OK. But I'd want to see the piston to be sure.

Doug

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Doug thanks for the reply. I just took it for a spin for 10 minutes or so. I dont see anything leaking. I've got to take a long drive tomorrow I hope I'm ok...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You'd have to crack the piston down below the piston seal before it leaks.

You're fine with a chip on the rim.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tha k for reply snowwy. It did chip off the side edge down to rubber. I don't know how far down it has to go to hit seal wish I took a pic. But I don't see anything leaking so I think I'm good. I hope so..

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You'd know if you had a leak as your brake pedal would fade from hydraulic pressure loss. And you'll suck in air when you take foot off the pedal.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That chip looks like it is the rubber dust seal? If so that is for keeping debris/moisture, etc. out of the piston area to prevent a stuck piston. It would not be a problem for a short time, but would be eventually if not corrected. It is possible to get a re-built kit to replace that without an entirely new caliper (and usually pretty cheap), though it can be tricky work, and you should obtain the proper tools to do that job, if you go that route. In many cases a rebuilt caliper is money well spent to avoid the hassle.

Now if I'm not seeing it right, and somehow its the metallic part of the piston, I would NOT drive a car with damage to the hydraulic piston. To damage that some serious force was in play, and you could have a crack that could get worse overtime and cause brake failure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
He's not the first guy to chip his piston.

No one else had a problem.
Certainly not, but it's smart to be cautious. Your brake system is probably the most important safety system on the car. If it were me, I'd probably take it to a big parking lot somewhere and do some autocross type braking and test them pretty heavily. Then if I didn't have any leaks or additional damage, I'd say you're probably ok.

Having said that though I wouldn't question replacing it either.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Certainly not, but it's smart to be cautious. Your brake system is probably the most important safety system on the car. If it were me, I'd probably take it to a big parking lot somewhere and do some autocross type braking and test them pretty heavily. Then if I didn't have any leaks or additional damage, I'd say you're probably ok.

Having said that though I wouldn't question replacing it either.
Don't really need a parking lot. The driveway works just fine. Just put some pressure on the pedal and hold a couple of minutes.

A piston chip is really no big deal. Seen it quite a bit in my wrenching days. But that's all they were. Just chips. People use channel locks to compress the piston in. They don't think to use the brake pad as a safety cushion instead of direct contact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts