Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Chirp and clunky rattle 2014 1lt rs

1290 Views 32 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Baldrico1
Hi all,

Well...in the video the air conditioning is on. There is a chirp all the time, and a clunky rattle when air is on, more prominent on driver's side. Radiator fan is interesting as well, on/off high speed. Not my car yet but I was at a chevy dealership to consider buying this 2014 1LT rs with 119000 mi. As is, 'wholesale to public' offering. Intake and v-cover appear newer maybe. Bottom of engine and trans coated with oil. Oil on oil cooler area. Can you see the oil coating on lines and wires below brake resevoir, looks like it sprayed there.. Drives very nicely, looks beautiful, like new interior and body. Ltft good. O2s1+2 graphs good. Passed emission in June but torque says not ready. Oil streak in turbo normal.
Thanks very much for your opinions.
chirp
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,879 Posts
There are several problems here:

-The chirp is the crank seal. The PCV check valve in the intake manifold is missing, and the valve cover might need replacement too. www.cruzekits.com and buy the v3.4 kit to fix the intake manifold check valve, and then you'll probably need to replace the crank seal as well.

-The rad fan high-off-high means that the lower fan speeds have burnt out - it should run constantly on low speed. The fan needs to be replaced; this causes the compressor to work really hard until that high speed kicks in to lower the high side pressures.

Bottom of engine and trans coated with oil. Oil on oil cooler area.
Oil cooler seals are a common leak point. Again, address the intake manifold before fixing any oil leaks or others will appear at the next "weakest link".

I'd walk away from this car. This is at least $2k to fix in labor. The oil cooler and fan are a bit of a pain to fix but possible to DIY.

17,879 Posts
-Any ideas on the air conditioner noise besides the chirp? belt tensioner or AC clutch?
It's just the crank seal. AC puts higher load on the engine, which ups crankcase pressures.

-Regarding the rad fan, has anyone replaced only the fan blade/motor/resistor pack that is an ACdelco part on Rockauto?
Yes, it's been done. Not sure if you have to remove the whole thing or not.

-Toward the end of the vid clip there is a low rattley noise mostly from the driver side of the engine. Would air conditioner use cause engine internals to make that noise? it is not there when air is off.
Is it a manual? Kinda sounds like the dual mass flywheel failure mine had.

-Also, to change out oil cooler or seals, turbo must be removed correct?
Yes

17,879 Posts
It is an automatic. that's the noise that concerns me the most. I'll try to take a stick and use the "hearing rod" method to figure out where it's coming from
Unless it's the Ecotec cover doing it, it kinda sounds like the famous Ford broken flex plate, then. Not usually an issue with GM vehicles, especially these. There's not really anything else rotating over on that side of the motor.

17,879 Posts
Look for a loose bolt at the top right hole of the compressor. Getting to be relatively common. Just snug it back up.

intercooler leak - boost leak? Took a hit from something? Oil leaking at air connections (PCV?)

17,879 Posts
Attached pics compare my 2012 with 2014. What reason for trans cooler lines routed on top of the fan assembly on the 2014? Does this make fan replacement more difficult? Is it so the cooled trans oil travels less pipe distance back to transmission? @jblackburn
Fun fact, GM removed the auxiliary cooler at the front of the car in mid 2014 so it only has the radiator heat exchanger. I would venture a guess that this is one of those.

17,879 Posts
Hmm, maybe it's mid-2014 they introduced the aux cooler. We discovered at some point during the 2014 model year with another member that there are two designs of radiator for that specific year.

Sorry, my 1st gen knowledge is mostly centered around the manual trans model I had.

In any case, you may be able to finagle that shroud/fan around the cooler lines without disconnecting, but it may be easier just to disconnect them.

17,879 Posts
Hi all, new issue that daughter described: when accelerating, more so uphill and only city driving speed, she hears a "liquid trickling sound" generally on driver side, from dash area. I have not heard it yet because I have old ears...
Does not change with heater control adjustment. Air conditioner is off. Engine temp does not affect occurrence. Just did a coolant change but the sound was there before the coolant change.
no video at this time...
Educated guesses?
Low coolant level/air pockets in the cooling system running through the heater core.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts