Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh... Ok........ So. I have this squeaky chirping noise in my engine I don't know where it's coming from ive already had parts replaced from my dealer, new tensioner, new belt, and water pump... And still the noise continues.. My dealership can't find it I can't find it, they tell me whenever it happens constantly just come to the dealer so they can look at it again... It's only happening now when I back up. Sometimes at start up.. Other than that it doesn't. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS ISSUE?????

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Another guess that noise .. OH Googly !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well your opinion is a **** of a lot better than the dealership's.. It makes sense.. But i just don't know with my dealership honestly they need look into this more than what they already did.. And they won't look at it again unless it's constantly doing it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine was also replaced along with the belt and tensioner but still makes the noise it's really irritating

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
When I had a squeal from the water pump, I could very slowly unscrew the coolant reservoir cap and the pitch would change. Not completely go away, but change in relation to the cap releasing pressure. That's one way to tell if it's the water pump pulley.

The more likely thing is a dirty belt. Have you sprayed WD40 or any kind of lubricant on the belt while it's running? If the sound goes away when sprayed then it is a definite issue with the belt slipping on one of the pulleys.

Disclaimer: if you do any of this, I take no responsibility for you getting injured in any way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another guess that noise .. OH Googly !
I completely take credit for the creation of such a wonderful game :D
haha you guys are awesome!

I saw the video and it is definitely from the belt drive. I had a similar issue. I could trace mine by ear to the tension pulley. I confirmed it by replacing it :D But seriously, I could actually feel the sound vibrations on the pulley when I firmly press my fingers against it. You could spray some water on the belt when it's making the noise, and if the noise stops you need a new belt. If it persists, you need to check other pulleys. NickD also suggested you have other components checked whilst your getting that looked it.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I could trace mine by ear to the tension pulley. I confirmed it by replacing it :D
I'm glad that worked for you, but just keep in mind that if something is going on anywhere in the belt drive, the changing tension will show up in the tensioner.

Something you can try to do is shut off the engine, slip the belt off, and then spin each pulley by hand. Look for any unevenness in the spin or any "rumble".

·
Registered
821 Posts
I started getting the same noise under the same conditions a few months ago. It comes and goes, glad to finally have an idea what it is. Never bothered taking it in since the dealer would certainly be unable to replicate.

Out of curiosity how many miles on your Cruze?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just hit 21k yesterday when I got the ac compressor replaced I was told from my dealership that the noise was gone... Which it wasn't.. When I got home I put the car in park, turned on the ac climate control and I can hear the change in the engine and then came along the chirping squeaky noise again... I don't know what else to do here or what the dealership can do but I'm just going to keep taking it back til it's fix and gone

1 - 20 of 38 Posts