Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: I ended up going with a set of Continental Pure Contact LS 235/45-R18's 94V - Thanks for all the input!

I have finally purchased a set of 18 x 7” stock rims to augment my 16” LT rims. I have pretty much decided on Bridgestone BLIZZAK WS80 215/60-R16's for my snow tires, but am having trouble choosing tires for summer.

1. I want to stick as close as possible to 26.1 inches in diameter to keep my speedo accurate. I understand that the stock tire size is 225/45-18. I also thought there was a wider size that would look more aggressive and possibly give more traction via a bigger contact patch. I am going to install Eibachs so I also need to worry about interference when turning lock to lock as well. Any suggestions here?

2. I think that an S (112mph)or T (118 mph)speed rating is the most I will need and even that will be later after other mods far in the future.

3. As for the load index, if my source is correct (2014 Chevrolet Cruze LT w/1FL 4dr Sedan Specs) it has a gross weight of 4321 lbs. Add 2 passengers at 200lbs each and a max of 150lbs tongue weight for those days I tow and you get 4871 lbs. So per tire it would be approximately 1218 lbs. I think a load index of no less than 87 (1201 lbs.) and above would be sufficient as I usually drive alone with no trailer. Anyone see a flaw in this thinking?

4. I am leaning towards all season radials or high performance ASR’s vs. Ultra High Performance ASR’s or summer only tires as I live in the Midwest and we see plenty of rain as well as many 40 degree and lower temperature days before and after the snow flies. I do not do any autocross or track type driving, just spirited road use.

Any informed suggestions?:whatdoyouthink:

EDIT: I've read this thread - Tires, everything you need to know about sizes for the cruze. - , but it was limited in help and hasn't really been updated much and also I tried to get to this thread - Tire Sizes -, but as usual, I do not have access to the COMG.

I just recently found this thread - New wheels, need some help with tire sizes.- parallels mine pretty well, but not many suggestions

Related threads:
Cruze OEM Wheel Options
factory rim dimensions
18" Rims

·
Registered
635 Posts
I recently started looking, I like American products and I like my Michelin, but I think the cooper rs3-a is a good performance tire especially for the money!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
I recently started looking, I like American products, and i think the cooper rs3-a is a good performance tire especially for the money! I got shared around $167/ea from benny's with some promotion, if I get them ill let you know how they are, but it probably won't be for months

Hope this helps

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently started looking, I like American products and I like my Michelin, but I think the cooper rs3-a is a good performance tire especially for the money!

What criteria did you use to pick this tire?

·
Registered
635 Posts
What criteria did you use to pick this tire?
Keeping the exact same size as my cruze, online reviews from others, I purchased coopers for my truck, loved them, I believe they are good quality tires

My stock Michelins have a real rough, stiff feel to them and I love that so I want new tires to be similar in feel, my Michelins have a 1 inch over lap "curb saver" and it has come I handy, the coolers don't have that but they are a lot cheaper

·
Registered
59 Posts
What wheels are those. I like.
I'm looking for wheels.

Like the tires too. May be an option.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,900 Posts
4. I am leaning towards all season radials or high performance ASR’s vs. Ultra High Performance ASR’s or summer only tires as I live in the Midwest and we see plenty of rain as well as many 40 degree and lower temperature days before and after the snow flies. I do not do any autocross or track type driving, just spirited road use.
In my experience, my Direzza ZIIs (Extreme Performance Summer Tire, 200-treadwear) handle rain significantly better than any all-season I've driven on (my stock steelies had UHP A/S Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Positions). Some summer tires hate rain - but there are definitely plenty out there that can handle it with ease. Michelin Pilot Super Sport would definitely be one of those.

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some summer tires hate rain - but there are definitely plenty out there that can handle it with ease. Michelin Pilot Super Sport would definitely be one of those.
Besides the rain, I also experience many days below 40 degrees (F) so that is why I want to stay away from summer only tires, but I did consider the now discontinued Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 225/45R18 91V.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Go for at least H rated to get rid of the mushy handling. Those S-rated FR710s are one of the worst tires I've driven on.

Speed ratings aren't *just* about top speed - higher speed ratings also have stiffer sidewalls.

I like:
1) Continental PureContact - good handling, excellent traction, slightly firm ride quality
2) Pirelli P7 - good traction, mushy handling, excellent ride quality

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Besides the rain, I also experience many days below 40 degrees (F) so that is why I want to stay away from summer only tires, but I did consider the now discontinued Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 225/45R18 91V.
I've run my ZIIs on the occasional high-30-degree day, and they've handled it just fine. I'm usually putting the all-seasons on by that point (or putting the car away), but that's also the optimal time to put the snow tires on, since you have those.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
You need to corner harder! Get on into that triangle!

My ZIIs look similar to this:

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You need to corner harder! Get on into that triangle!

My ZIIs look similar to this:
It was cold until recently. :p I'll scar them up in the coming warmth. Snow on the ground Friday morning, 65 and sunny Friday afternoon. Michigan man. hahaha.

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Taken from another thread Tire sizes after lowering:

Unless you're getting a wheel that is 18x8.5" wide, a 235/45/18 will be too big for stock overall diameter. 225/45/18 is the go to tire size for an 18x8" wheel, and unless you get coilovers and try to slam your car, you will never rub with 235/45/18 tire. Lowering springs don't get your car low enough to worry about rubbing as long as you stay within stock overall diameter.
I may have my rim size listed above incorrectly, so... I have (currently waiting for me in Toledo) some 18" rims I purchased that were from a 2017 LTZ or possibly an RS, (was not able to get that information from the seller) and I also have Eibachs to be installed. Do you still recommend the 235/45/18's for this setup?

I'm guessing this is the rim:

from Cruze OEM Wheel Options

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taken from another thread: New wheels, need some help with tire sizes.

Given that this wheel is 1/2" wider than the stock 7.5" wheel and the LTZ runs 225/45 18's I would run 235/45 18s. I Just put 245/45 18's on my LTZ rims and they are a little too wide. They grip like crazy but they also added sidewall height. 235/45R18 my reccommendation
Do you still feel this way and what tires were they?

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go for at least H rated to get rid of the mushy handling. Those S-rated FR710s are one of the worst tires I've driven on.

Speed ratings aren't *just* about top speed - higher speed ratings also have stiffer sidewalls.

I like:
1) Continental PureContact - good handling, excellent traction, slightly firm ride quality
2) Pirelli P7 - good traction, mushy handling, excellent ride quality
The Pirelli's are currently at the top of my list. What speed rating were / are they?

I'm confused by your comments on speed ratings and sidewall stiffness vs mushiness though. You say to get H rated, which is a lower rating than S, but say that the H's are less mushy than the S rated tires. I would think it would be opposite.:unsure:

I do agree that the Stock tires are lacking though - i have 16 FR710's at the moment.

·
Administrator
12,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone have access to Consumer reports? If so can you post or PM me the last tire ratings for 18" all season radials (not sure how they break it down).

Thanks

PS the Blizzaks are 215/60R16 95H

1 - 20 of 36 Posts