Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Chrome Trim around mesh grille! Replace?

5817 Views 23 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  chevycruze2012
Is there any way to find a replacement in black for that? Mine is chrome, and I don't want to have to plastidip it? I was looking at a new grille, but from what I see with that, it will still use that chrome trim when put on the car...Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know how to remove the chrome strip from the trunk lid?

Also, lol, any good places you know of to buy the replacement bowties? insert and back piece?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Banned
2,224 Posts
Only way to really get the grill all black is to plasti dip or paint...because I don't think there is an aftermarket grille that is all black. The chrome strip on the trunk lid is easy. You just take the trunk liner out, look up inside the trunk lid where the chrome trim is, and there is 4-6 10mm nuts holding it on if I remember correctly on the size. Id also disconnect the license plate lights wiring harness. Its just simple to disconnect. Loosen the nuts and take them off. After the nuts are off, it pulls right out. As for the places to buy oem bowties, ebay has them for a lot cheaper than the dealer. gmpartsdirect.com and gmpartscheap.com has them very cheap as well. YOu will end up paying shipping on those as though if you buy them from a gm parts website.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Got plans for my cruze. Trying to get stuff ordered so it will be there by the time I come back from my deployment! Appreciate the help!

· Banned
2,224 Posts
Thanks! Got plans for my cruze. Trying to get stuff ordered so it will be there by the time I come back from my deployment! Appreciate the help!
No problem at all. Your welcome. In the grateful nation I thank you for your loyal service. What branch are you in?.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Banned
2,224 Posts
USAF. Appreciate the support. :)
Ahh...USAF. Its all good man. Your out there on the front line risking your life for us, its the least I/we can do. I know it isn't easy being away from home and all, so I can imagine its tough on you as well. I wanted to join the air force. I was in the national guard. Didn't go to basic training, but I was in the guard lol. it wasn't what I exactly wanted to enlist in, but hey, its the military. I would have been helping others still. Keep up the great fight, and remember who you have back home in the U.S that's supporting you in every decision you make while your away.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do! Hopefully all these upgrades will pan out for me! I'm not very knowledgeable on cars so it's definitely a project!

· Banned
2,224 Posts
Will do! Hopefully all these upgrades will pan out for me! I'm not very knowledgeable on cars so it's definitely a project!
Yeah. Upgrading these cars and doing small projects is hella fun lol. I just painted my trim around my radio, shifter trim, and my instrument cluster trim rings light blue metallic to match my car. Im in the process of removing the stinking airbag off the steering wheel to paint the silver trim on the steering wheel blue as well but I cant get the darn thing off. I applied 2 coats of blue after I sprayed the part with adhesion promoter, and then added clear coat. If you go to my build progress for my cruze and scroll through the pages, you will see what I did to my car. The last page is where the photos are at of my newest and most recent cheap mod lol.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, i'll be spending a couple thousand, buying new rims/tires, coilovers, grille, emblems, dash kits, and caliper covers! Then I gotta figure out to put it all on, lol.. But yeah, i'll definitely go look! I love the cruze, always interesting to see what people do!

· Banned
2,224 Posts
Sounds good =]. I always go through other members build sheets and see what they are doing to give me ideas. I stole the idea of painting my dash trim pieces from APcruze lol. I doubt he minds at all tho. I ve certainly did a lot of mods to my car so far. It may not look like it on the inside much, but there are 4 things on my car that are expensive mods. The most is my kn CAI, the next is my hood aeroskin, vent visors, and last is all my LED bulbs swap. I swapped all the stock bulbs out to LED using the correct colors for the outside lights, except my license plate lights lol. Those are blue. Im actually going to take out the amber colored side marker lenses in the bumper, and put in clear ones and put blue led bulbs in those. They would look sweet as **** lol. Cops shouldn't bother me as im cool as **** lol. jkjk. I rarely get bothered, plus I don't think cops will pay any attention to those lights anyway.

· Banned
2,224 Posts
Yeah. Im even more glad I have the kn cai because of the sounds it makes my turbo blowoff. I have the 6spd manual so it sounds awesome in between shifts as well. Gotta love the manuals.

· Banned
2,224 Posts
Z spec grille gets rid of chrome, you just have to catch it on sale or pay full retail for it.

Sent from my iFail 5s
I was actually wanting to get the z spec grille. I may now, now that ill have more money with my new job im getting ready to start.

· Banned
2,224 Posts
I don't want it because there is no lower matching grille.
Yeah. Do you know if there is any benefits to this grille?. Or what the upside and downsides are?

· Banned
2,224 Posts
Besides it having a wider opening than our eco, not sure. It came on some Cruze with a certain package.
DO you think that Would create aerodynamic drag for the cruze...especially the eco to affecting MPG?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.