Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ground is not the problem, but on a typical lighter, the collar that shields the element is what makes contact to a U-shaped bimetallic strip, that is also a self cleaning contact.

This is what supplies the positive voltage, as a conventional lighter heats up, that bimetallic strip expands so the lighter will pop out.

So why aren't they making these plug ins the same way to get a good positive contact? These certainly do not heat up, so that bimetallic will not expand, so it won't pop out. But instead, they use a spring loaded tip that is suppose to make contact with a rivet or a screw that never was intended for a contact point. So you wonder why you always have a poor connection.

Thinking about making a 0.670 diameter washer with a special pin to hold it to emulate the heater element cupped washer. This way, would always be making good solid contact. The lighter in my Supra is virgin, but 28 years old and a bit corroded.

For now taped a piece of sandpaper to a 1/4" dowel on my portable drill to get a bit of a shine on it, so got it working. But did occur to me, by using this spring loaded tip, they got it all wrong.

Supra only had one cigar lighter socket in it, but this unit has a USB charging output so could use a regular cord to plug it in. No brainstorms like I mounted my GPS in my Cruze with a hard wire connection. No airbags in this thing, so a very thick padded dash, so I just jammed the suction cup in upside down so the GPS is resting on the dash. Can't fall out this way.

This unit also works in my motorhome and boat, so should get my 20 bucks worth of use out of it.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auxiliary outlets in our Cruze won't accept a lighter, center positive contact is deep inside of an insulated hole. Perhaps my MP3 player would work fine in these, except have no need for it.

Assuming if you buy that smokers package, would have to change that console outlet to a more conventional one. MP3 player is intended for the conventional cigar lighter socket. But its fully reversible back to original, just to uncrimp that metal button, and put the old one back in.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Assuming if you buy that smokers package, would have to change that console outlet to a more conventional one. MP3 player is intended for the conventional cigar lighter socket. But its fully reversible back to original, just to uncrimp that metal button, and put the old one back in.
Yes the smokers package swaps out the front power outlet for a conventional cigarette lighter socket and gives you a cup holder change holder/ash tray. I only mention this because it seems my front socket is much more stable power source, I have had my back one loose connection during hard braking or rough roads but never my front.

I quit smoking November will be 4 years, I use the money I used to burn up every month to make my Cruze payment. When I was looking for the Cruze I wanted I noticed mine had the smokers package installed, decided I wanted it as a reminder of how far I have come. I have tested the cigarette lighter working, but never actually used it. It also doesn't pop out like they used to, you just press the center of the cigarette lighter down and it pops up when its red hot.

I always have the cup holder ash tray full of quarters, easily hold $25-30. I wrap it in a 12oz can cozy, so it doesn't rattle as easily, can even throw it in one of the front doors if I need to use the other cup holders.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure is a large hole with the worse possible connector for making contact. Most chargers I have seen only have a 7805 IC in it, some add a capacitor that is not even needed. Could have used a DC power connector like you have on the side of a notebook computer.

Or even mounted a USB connector that practically all devices use now with that 7805 internally mounted. Ashtray is sure history, but sure a lot of cup holders for carrying a beer. And Wisconsin is noted for having the most drunken drivers on the road.

Around here, I can't even buy a bottle of wine after 9:00 PM, but can hit any bar to get a glass until 2:00 AM with the only access to these places is with a vehicle. Our convenience gas stations, have cases of beer on pallets, but can't even find an air hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts