Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently brought a 2012 VCDi LT and just read in the manual that the cigarette lighter near the shifter is not advisable to be used as phone charger and recommended only the rear port. How true is this? Planning to put in a 65w charger/volt meter on that port for convenience. Has anyone used that port for other than cigarette lighter? Say charger or maybe dash camera power source? Many thanks

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,696 Posts
i think its Korea for those released in asia, thats what it says on that some kind of label on the side of the door.
I seem to have a hard time finding manuals for the Korean made Cruzes, do you have a line on any?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a BlackBerry KeyOne, which does not draw as large an amount of power as some phones. And a 2012 Cruze LT1 1.4L automatic.

I found it to work fine to stick a cigarette lighter USB charger into the port by the shifter. What doesn't work, the USB port inside the center armrest/console -- there's a little notch in the lid so you can run a USB cable out with the lid shut (to the left of the latch), but the manual advices this USB port is just to feed music to the entertainment system (which I don't have, I have radio + SiriusXM) and not to use this port for charging. It's no joke, that port only supplies like 0.5 amps (USB standard specifies ports should provide a minimum of 1 amp...); even on my fairly low-powered phone it's not enough to charge, just enough to make the battery drop more slowly.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
I have a 2012 JH Holden Cruze diesel, but it has a different engine to the JG Korean model. I have a TomTom navigation device and a dash cam running off the front socket and in nearly 10 years have no issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a BlackBerry KeyOne, which does not draw as large an amount of power as some phones. And a 2012 Cruze LT1 1.4L automatic.

I found it to work fine to stick a cigarette lighter USB charger into the port by the shifter. What doesn't work, the USB port inside the center armrest/console -- there's a little notch in the lid so you can run a USB cable out with the lid shut (to the left of the latch), but the manual advices this USB port is just to feed music to the entertainment system (which I don't have, I have radio + SiriusXM) and not to use this port for charging. It's no joke, that port only supplies like 0.5 amps (USB standard specifies ports should provide a minimum of 1 amp...); even on my fairly low-powered phone it's not enough to charge, just enough to make the battery drop more slowly.
I am using that USB port inside the center storage for music as well but it can charge my iphone at the same time

·
Registered
2012 1.8 LTZ
22 Posts
I can tell you my front socket ALWAYS blows up any usb sockets I plug into it.
Got a reminder of that just last week when I unplugged the one from the rear and absent mindedly replaced it back into the front one.. Cue the magic smoke and the smell of circuitry going to heaven.
Works fine with the inflator. Just seems to kill sensitive stuff.
Thought i had a dodgy outlet.

UK spec model.

·
Administrator
13,696 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts