Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Fellow Cruze Owners,

I wouldlike to share my experience with the hope that it may benefit othersin similar circumstances. I haveconsulted this forum in the past whenever I have encountered mechanicalproblems with my 2011 Cruze LTZ and have found it helpful.
First letme say that I the Cruze is a great car to own WHEN it’s running problem-free. My car has less than 20 000 miles but I have had my share ofproblems. The latest incarnation was aclacking sound at low RPM and the smell of burning coolant in the enginecompartment. Turned out to be a loosespark plug and a leak from the water pump that needed to be sealed. Simple enough solution… but it took 4 weeksfor GM and the dealership to agree to repair the issues under warranty. I was even told that there was a GM technicalbulletin explaining that the water pump should NOT be replaced due to the leak. I have heard of many Cruzes having their water pumps replaced in thisforum!
The pointis that problems will happen… any car from any manufacturer can experienceproblems, however, the way the manufacturer deals with them makes thedifference between a satisfied client and an angry, frustrated one.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed, sucks you had to deal with the runaround for so long.

GM could stand to gain alot by educating their dealers better.

And last I heard the bulletin for a leaking waterpump stated to replace the pump with an updated version and also replace the thermostat...

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
There is indeed a bulletin from Chevrolet indicating that pumps are being replaced for, what they call, normal wisping.
For the most part, any water pump will wisp from time to time......the definition of wisp is that of momentary steam recondensing within the pump housing on the atmosphere side of the seal/bearing.
The condensed liquid will vent, or 'wisp' from the drain hole from time to time and this will leave a dried trail of dexcool.
The key word here is 'Dried' as in not drooling coolant.

The OP's dealer should read the entire bulletin and not just memorize the 'Its OK if it leaks part'.....making it a wholesale "They all do That' response......jerks.

So, yes, there is a reminder bulletin and no, it is not supposed to mean a leaking (wet) pump is normal.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
First, welcome to CruzeTalk. I'm glad your dealership finally got your car fixed. Now, find another dealership. This one apparently can't read TSBs and I wouldn't trust them to do anything to my car.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

I am so glad that after 4 weeks the Goofer Balls have figured out how to properly treat your ailing cruzen and fix that Venting water pump for you . I really do not wish for people of the Hume race to have to Breath the Coolant called Dex -Cool for any prolonged period of time .

Drop by any time . Don't be shy there are a multitude of popular peoples doing all sorts of things to they're cruzen that things can get down right drastic at times .

Oh yeah Post up some Pics of yer cruzen when you get a chance we like pics here .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I called GM back and told them what the dealer had done, including the fact that they splashed coolant all over the engine compartment and they replied: Issue is resolved for now... let us know if you have any further problems down the road. I asked if they could read me the TSB... they replied that the dealer had done the correct thing by NOT replacing the water pump and claimed not to have the TSB.

To be continued...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts