Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen other threads where folks have had issues with front brakes that click/grind/clank/rattle etc when braking, however my issue is the opposite.

When hitting certain bumps in the road (not small bumps nor large bumps, but medium bumps--yeah, I know, hard to explain) I hear a metallic clank in the front end, both sides. Similar sound to a loose suspension part such as the sway bar links, or strut, but this happened immediately after replacing the pads and rotors.

The clanking quits when I "ride the brake" going over said bumps but comes back when going over the same bumps without riding the brake.

I used Centric pads and rotors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CRE7VG?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WT9DQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New pad hardware, new caliper guide pins.
I did not use lube or any type of paste on the back of the pads themselves.

I meticulously cleaned all mating surfaces and lubed the guide pins and shims.

Now, one thing I did notice......the pads have a slight slop in the caliper bridge/bracket/ whatever you want to call it....the gap is about .035" (measured easily with a feeler gauge) between the pad and shim.

Is that enough slop to cause this clanking???

If so, how do I rectify that? Another set of pads? Somehow fabricate a small shim to put in that gap? Use some adhesive on the back of the pad to make it adhere to the caliper?

It's driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'm thinking the anti rattle clips are incorrectly positioned (or not installed).
When the pads are installed in the carrier bracket, before the caliper is installed, the pads should have no play whatsoever.

Rob

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking the anti rattle clips are incorrectly positioned (or not installed).
When the pads are installed in the carrier bracket, before the caliper is installed, the pads should have no play whatsoever.

Rob
The anti rattle clips are installed and honestly, there is only one way they can be installed so I don't think the clips are the issue.
However, the pads indeed do have play once installed without the caliper......pretty sure that is the issue, thanks :)

I ordered some Wagner pads and will try those.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update ....installed the Wagner pads and issue went away.

Funny how the Centric brand pads were loose in the caliper bracket, but the Wagner pads were nice and snug.

I'm wondering if the Centric pads that I got from Amazon were of a different "quality" than if I had purchased them from a Centric retailer?

Anyhoo, all is good now :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
You're not the only one with Centric pad issues:

"So I thought I'd give an update to these pads. Turns out my noise over bumps was these pads rattling. I put back in my OE pads and clips and the noise went away. Also, I am 99% sure all my gains in stopping power were due to the caliper slides working properly. When I put my OE pads back in, I actually think they stopped better when working correctly.

Dust is another thing, holy crap do these pads dust for me. I'd wash the car and after a day of driving the wheels would be totally coated. Overall, I'm planning on sticking with the OEM brakes from here on out. Not trying to disregard anyone's results- these pads just don't work as well for my situation."

Copied from:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-gen1-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/126562-centric-oe-brake-kit-upgrade-4.html

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're not the only one with Centric pad issues:

"So I thought I'd give an update to these pads. Turns out my noise over bumps was these pads rattling. I put back in my OE pads and clips and the noise went away. Also, I am 99% sure all my gains in stopping power were due to the caliper slides working properly. When I put my OE pads back in, I actually think they stopped better when working correctly.

Dust is another thing, holy crap do these pads dust for me. I'd wash the car and after a day of driving the wheels would be totally coated. Overall, I'm planning on sticking with the OEM brakes from here on out. Not trying to disregard anyone's results- these pads just don't work as well for my situation."

Copied from:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-gen1-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/126562-centric-oe-brake-kit-upgrade-4.html
Ah, thanks!! And yes, about the dust----I did indeed notice quite a bit of dust on my wheels only after a couple/3 days of driving

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am the one who had this issue. Get yourself a set of the Akebono Proacts. I have had them for 1k with the centric rotors and they work awesome!

Reactions: mikestony

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
TBH I didn't even know Centric made pads. They do make good rotors, though.

I've been quite impressed by every set of Akebono pads I've used, and I too used the ProAct on my Cruze. Akebono is actually the OEM supplier of pads for the Cruze - but it's cheaper, dustier, more long-life ceramic compound than those.

·
Registered
690 Posts
This is the same issue like this one:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/12-g...over-splash-guard-rattle-vibrate-rubbing.html
I also replaced the rotor and pads (Centric). Something doesn't fit properly I think. If you push the brake a little bit then the noise disappears. I checked everything a few times and didn't see any "mistake" I have could done. I used the same pads on my other car but keep the original rotors. No noise at all! The play must be too much, the rotor seems to be the issue..

·
Registered
8 Posts
for me my mechanic said there was wear in the bridge/bracket area. They tried another set of pads from napa and the problem was still there. He recommended buying a set of calipers and it fixed the problem. I bought the centric pads and rotors as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've seen other threads where folks have had issues with front brakes that click/grind/clank/rattle etc when braking, however my issue is the opposite.

When hitting certain bumps in the road (not small bumps nor large bumps, but medium bumps--yeah, I know, hard to explain) I hear a metallic clank in the front end, both sides. Similar sound to a loose suspension part such as the sway bar links, or strut, but this happened immediately after replacing the pads and rotors.

The clanking quits when I "ride the brake" going over said bumps but comes back when going over the same bumps without riding the brake.

I used Centric pads and rotors:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CRE7VG?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WT9DQM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New pad hardware, new caliper guide pins.
I did not use lube or any type of paste on the back of the pads themselves.

I meticulously cleaned all mating surfaces and lubed the guide pins and shims.

Now, one thing I did notice......the pads have a slight slop in the caliper bridge/bracket/ whatever you want to call it....the gap is about .035" (measured easily with a feeler gauge) between the pad and shim.

Is that enough slop to cause this clanking???

If so, how do I rectify that? Another set of pads? Somehow fabricate a small shim to put in that gap? Use some adhesive on the back of the pad to make it adhere to the caliper?

It's driving me nuts.

100% same for me, Just replaced my rotors and pads and now I have a clunking over bumps. Does it sound like this?
https://youtu.be/gQg8LwVnbVA

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
TBH I didn't even know Centric made pads. They do make good rotors, though.

I've been quite impressed by every set of Akebono pads I've used, and I too used the ProAct on my Cruze. Akebono is actually the OEM supplier of pads for the Cruze - but it's cheaper, dustier, more long-life ceramic compound than those.
I found them in the Rockauto catalog.. Do you have rotor wear with these? Are these aggressive performance pads for a daily driver?

Jblackburn- I'm confused, your saying that the OEM Cruze pad is cheaper, dustier... than the Akebono direct?

I'm probably a really odd person who likes the GM original friction, It's probably because I'm really soft with the brakes and my terrain is relatively flat and forgiving.

Centric seems to be all Chinese manufactured most vendors probably are. I was happy to see Akebono made in the USA according to their web page.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not saying this is your problem but a search for brake rattle is: (I'm quoting here) "either from the brake pad springs because they are either missing, bent or installed backwards- i.e. the top one on the bottom and the bottom on the top or you do not have the shims correctly installed on the pads."
Also found this link which might help pinpoint a problem:
Chevrolet Cruze Front Brake Pads Replacement Guide - 2011 To 2014 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Jblackburn- I'm confused, your saying that the OEM Cruze pad is cheaper, dustier... than the Akebono direct?
Yes. I've always used the ProACT pads. The OEM is an Akebono pad - if memory serves correctly - but it isn't the same compound. I don't recall that there were any markings; I may still have them around somewhere.

For anyone that wants it, here were the part numbers I used for my brake change:
AKEBONOACT1522Brake Pad$ 64.79$ 0.001$ 64.79
2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE 1.4L L4 Turbocharged
CENTRIC12062130 (120.62130)Rotor$ 47.79$ 0.002$ 95.58

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes. I've always used the ProACT pads. The OEM is an Akebono pad - if memory serves correctly - but it isn't the same compound. I don't recall that there were any markings; I may still have them around somewhere.

For anyone that wants it, here were the part numbers I used for my brake change:
AKEBONOACT1522Brake Pad$ 64.79$ 0.001$ 64.79
2012 CHEVROLET CRUZE 1.4L L4 Turbocharged
CENTRIC12062130 (120.62130)Rotor$ 47.79$ 0.002$ 95.58
Of course the stock are not the same compound, lol. That goes with the GM "we know better" way of thinking. Just like how the GM TPC tires are crap compared to the aftermarket version.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts