Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2011 Cruze LTZ, and I know it needs a new PCV, and that whole job done, but idk if this contributes to that or not but while idling beside the bad idel it clicks but when I hit the gas it goes away?

·
2,168 Posts
Hello! Sorry to hear about the issues you're currently having. Can you tell us a bit more about the problems you're experiencing? How many miles are on the car, and is it still under warranty? What are the conditions when the car has the problem? (IE: All the time, only when moving, only in first) Which transmission do you have?

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
The LTZ is an automatic 1.4T engine. The Ecotec line of engines has a nickname EcoTick because they make clicking and ticking noises at idle. Under load they don't do this.

·
2,168 Posts
So I have a 2011 Cruze LTZ, and I know it needs a new PCV, and that whole job done, but idk if this contributes to that or not but while idling beside the bad idel it clicks but when I hit the gas it goes away?
This part of the post worries me.

So far just from what you've told me, I've gathered your car has a bad PCV valve, bad idle, and some kind of clicking noise during engine load. It needs to see a mechanic. :(

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses guys. I do the work on my car myself, and I already bought my new PCV cover and gasket etc. it just needs replaced. I noticed a little bit today while driving I hit the gas while in park idling and it goes click click click real fast then stops.I'm not have any driving issues at all, just needs the PCV, I plan on working on it this week im adding a new zzp downpipe, removing res, and adding a straight pipe into a Flow master Super 44, Injen CAI, tuner, and Sprint booster. Will Attempt to get It done but will prolly not

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just replaced a valve cover myself after after the PCV valve failed. When it's stuck open (the PCV valve), the air it's sucking in at idle causes a lean condition with some RPM surging, and rough idle that is bad enough to shake around the cover that goes over the coil pack. That's probably the intermittent, not so great sounding rattling noise you're hearing at idle. Plus, as others have already mentioned, the Bosch fuel injection system on this vehicle is known to produce a loud ticking noise at the lowest idle RPM, but it's of no maintenance concern.

The good news is that the valve cover is very easy to replace yourself with the right tools. I think I spent a whopping $50 for the cover with 2 day shipping from an GM dealer on eBay, and $10 for a set of torx sockets from Harbor Freight. More expensive than a normal PCV valve replacement, but whatever, every vehicle has some service quirks.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Using a piece of old fashion heater hose as a stethoscope helps to determine the source of the noise. Wife was complaining about a minor tick in our 1.4, was the front of that coil pack plastic cover tapping on that plastic camshaft cover causing the click like noise, and mostly at idle. Piece of weather strip cured that.

PVC hose returns to the inlet of the turbo along with that large hose from the air cleaner, but the PVC port is a venturi that creates all that vacuum. Never fool with that PVC hose when its ice cold, can crack it, gets very brittle, not a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts