Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Cruze Eco (1.4L turbo, 6 spd manual), purchased from another individual at 62k miles a couple of months ago. The car consistently makes a fast clicking (almost a low frequency buzzing noise) in the engine bay when the key is turned to the ON position (second click), but before starting the engine. I've narrowed the noise source to a solenoid looking thing (maybe boost control solenoid?) between the intake resonator and the waste gate. I took out the metal clip and unplugged it while it's buzzing (key ON but engine is not running) and the noise went away. I've also found out that the noise goes away if I disconnecting the battery, wait for a while and connect it back. It'll be quiet or make a short buzz for a few days, then back to the continuous noise as long as I leave the key in the ON position.

Is any one else seeing this behavior? Is it normal?

Sorry about the poor description. It's my first turbo car and I'm still learning all the parts.

Thanks!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
With the car in run, blower motor on for a load, would be grabbing a voltmeter to check voltage drops between the negative terminal of the battery and various ground points, and looking close to 0 volt drops. The same for the positive terminal of the battery to various 12 V points.

Even across the battery for at least 12.2 volts with a fully charge battery. If losing voltage across what should be good connections, the voltage is low to all these computers all kinds of weird things happen.

My short negative battery cable was dropping 2 volts, and my ignition relay, another volt. Leaving only 9 volts for the computers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brought it to the dealer and was told they'll replace the waste gate solenoid under powertrain warranty. I'll bring the car in for the work on Monday and will report back if whether it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Brought the car to the dealer for the work, and here's the update.

Two fixes were performed today:

1. The ticket states:
"Found turbo wastegate solenoid making noise. Found no DTCS stored at this time. Found both power and ground tested OK for solenoid. Found turbo waste gate solenoid sticking, making noise. Performed replacement of turbo waste gate solenoid. Recheck = OK".
The replacement part is "55587751 (S) Valve"

2. The ticket states:
"Found intake manifold missing return valve, recommend replacement with updated part as per doc# 4374316. Performed replacement of intake manifold".
The replacement part is 55581014 (S) Manifold

I was told the missing return valve might be what caused the solenoid to malfunction.
The ticking noise is still there when I got home, but seems to be a little quieter. I'll observe it a few more dates and call up the dealer again for follow up if the noise doesn't go away.

I'm really curious about this "return valve" they are talking about. How could it be missing (note not malfunctioning, but missing)? Was it not installed in the factory, or fell into the engine? Can someone help explain to me what it does and how to find it, in case it goes missing again in the future? The service manager didn't sound very authoritative in explaining both items performed above. It was late when I got the car so I didn't question him a lot, thinking I'll just go home and look it up on the web, but didn't find much.

Now onto the warm and fuzzy side of the story.

Technical abilities aside, the Chevy dealer in Davis, CA is top notch when it comes to costumer service. I got shuttled to and from work every time I go in for an oil change (I bring my own oil so they are not making much with the $7 labor charge). The shuttle was running a little behind yesterday and the service manager waited after closing to personally hand me the keys and the job ticket. He also seems to remember me and what car I have, and will throw in a free quick car wash if I ask. One time I asked for a brake measurement (free if you are doing some maintenance work there) thinking I'll just adjust it myself if needed (they charge about $40 for adjustment), since the parking brake lever position seems high and the car makes noise when stopping from slow speed. When I picked up the car I was told the technician just adjusted it form me since he's already half way there doing the measurement. I'm not advertising for them, but they really do go the extra mile. Maybe I'm easily bribed, but I'm really glad I have a dealership near me that actually care about their customers.

Edit: I did find some info regarding the Non Return Valve on the intake manifold.
http://gm.oemdtc.com/2398/possible-...-from-the-exhaust-2011-2014-buick-chevrolet/2
Sounds like if it's missing it could damage the PCV, but I'm not having any vacuum leak on the PCV and the car is not throwing any code. Well at least I got that replaced under warranty. I'll go home tonight and check to make sure the orange part of the non return valve is indeed visible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought I'd update the post after the issue being semi resolved. Basically, after two trips to the dealer having the waste gate solenoid replaced twice and the intake manifold replaced, the noise is still there. It is quieter after each replacement but grows louder after driving it for a while. At this point the dealer doesn't really know what's causing it. Another Cruze 1.4L in the dealer's lot also make a similar ticking noise, but barely audible. So the dealer told me to come back for a solenoid replacement if it ever gets too loud, but there's nothing else that can be done. I think it's time to give up. Maybe it's another design "characteristic" of the engine. I did get a new waste gate solenoid and a new intake manifold with the non return valve at where it's supposed to be out of this event, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hi
I'm experiencing the exact same problem.
Before starting the engine and just by turning key to ON position the exact same solenoid next to the wastegate and under the turbo intake hose starts clicking hard.
Here's a video of the sound. (don't be fooled the engine is off, it's just heard by turning the key to ON position)
[/FONT]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQnC36RCuE[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

The thing is that if it's defect it might be the culprit for my p1101 pending codes and boost drops I'm experiencing.
What's the outcome of your workshop visit. Should the solenoid click or not? Is it a clear sign that it's defect when it clicks?
If anyone could check and see if their car does the same I'd be grateful because it could be an indication that it's normal if more than one cars do the same noise.

Thanks in advance for your help[/FONT]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the two year follow up on this issue: the car still runs.

Here's the pattern I noticed:
The humming noise:
Humming from engine bay if AC was on after highway driving
Humming doesn't seem to be there if I turn off the AC a few blocks before I get home but leave the blower fan running until I turn off the car
The clicking noise
There's clicking noise from waste gate solenoid when I turn the key to ON position, doesn't matter is the car is cold or hot.

After re-programming the HVAC module (a whole other story that I won't elaborate here unless somebody asks), the humming noise seems to have gone away completely. The clicking noise went away too if the car is hot (turn off engine after I arrive home from the commute, turn it back to ON position, no noise) but is still there when the car is cold. Maybe the HVAC programming has something to do with it, maybe it's the weather.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The clicking noise went away too if the car is hot (turn off engine after I arrive home from the commute, turn it back to ON position, no noise) but is still there when the car is cold.
Sounds like the fuel pump pressurizing the system before a start. When it's warm and has recently been driven, the pressure hasn't bled off like on the first cold start of the morning after sitting all night. If it hasn't caused a problem in 2 years, it's probably normal. Have a Jetta that turns on the fuel pump as soon as I open the door.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the fuel pump pressurizing the system before a start. When it's warm and has recently been driven, the pressure hasn't bled off like on the first cold start of the morning after sitting all night. If it hasn't caused a problem in 2 years, it's probably normal. Have a Jetta that turns on the fuel pump as soon as I open the door.
Actually, there is yet another buzzing noise (lower frequency than the humming noise I described in previous posts) when I turn the key to ON position when the car is cold, lasts for about 3 to 5 seconds, I've always assumed that's the fuel pump. The humming noise sounds like what's shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_HGTEKkE1s (in case the link is removed, search youtube for "2012 Chevy Cruze buzzing under the hood"). The clicking noise definitely came from the wastegate solenoid, it goes away if I unplug it.

After all, the car is still running, and I've accepted various clicking and buzzing noises as undocumented features. It's a fun car to drive and I sure hope it won't quit in the foreseeable future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts