Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So using the climate controls today in my 2012 Cruze LT I noticed air continues to come out of the vents after I turn the fan off. Also the button with the chair and arrow pointing to the head for the dash vents the light stays on. How do I turn that off? I tried pushing that button to see if it would turn off but does not.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
The Cruze has "forced" air. You can force it to a different set of vents but whenever the car is moving air that enters the exterior cabin air intake (in front of the driver at the base of the windshield) will be routed into the cabin. If you turn the car to recirc it will stop most but not all of this - recirc is about 80% recirculation and 20% external air to prevent carbon monoxide build up in the cabin.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Had the 2LT where the mode would flash on the radio screen, non-GPS, for 3 seconds, gather the 1LT is different. But did have a five position blower motor switch with an off position. And when it was off, so was the blower motor.

Yeah, air comes in the vents, really noticed this when driving at 200 mph, but should be dead still when parked. Also when you changed modes, the blower motor was switched off, gather that actuator motor driven by the BCM wasn't very powerful, so always took seemingly hours to switch modes. Motor off, mode change, motor back on again.

Shop manual isn't too much help but generally your temperature and blower switches are not switches at all, but very the capacitance going into the BCM, that changes the pulse rates. Could try rotating your blower motor switch to max and off position if you blower is still running and blowing air when parked.

After this, it gets complicated. Circuit diagram only shows one wire from the climate control panel to the BCM.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just kinda bugs me because often times I just have the windows down. Having said that, it seems kinda pointless having air coming out the vents! Still learning these quirks about my Cruze.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, not exactly a quirk of the Cruze, just look at the bottom of the windshield where the base of the windshield wipers are and you will see a shroud with vent holes in it, this is where the air enters. Use to be made out of metal, now all plastic.

How far does this date back? Like 60 years, Chrysler was the first to introduce this system. Prior to this, just had a box hanging under the right side under the dash, a heater core with a tiny fan behind it that just recirculated the interior air. And everybody use to fight to sit there, because the rest of the vehicle was cold.

Also use to use a heater valve that was extremely difficult to adjust even back to the mid 80's, very slow to respond, so either too hot or too cold. Now all heater cores are always hot and using a blend door that responds very quickly.

Prior to model years 1935, rare to find any vehicle with even a heater core in it, you brought blankets and a rag to keep the inside of your windshield clean.

1939 Packard was the first vehicle to have AC, was a huge trunk mounted on the rear of this vehicle. Finally became popular in the mid 50's. Could even get it in a 1957 Chevy, but darn near doubled the price. Now AC is standard in practically any new vehicle, even the base models, but for some strange reason, leaving off the cruise control.

What I really miss is door side vent windows, could crack those open even it a major rain storm, Believe the 1989 Lincoln was the last vehicle to have these. Crack open a window in these newer vehicles will drown.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It just kinda bugs me because often times I just have the windows down. Having said that, it seems kinda pointless having air coming out the vents! Still learning these quirks about my Cruze.
Every car I've owned has done this. Clicking recirculation stops it (supposedly). Even in my Cruze I don't notice air coming through when I do. As far as the button light being on, wherever you have the flow set, the light will remain on. It just means it's the direction of air, doesn't really mean the system is on. If you really don't want to feel anything, put the direction to your feet and turn on recirculation.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, like that extra air, but if it really bugs you, leave it in dash vent mode and close all the vents.

Ha, my wife is always closing the vents on her side, but then complains its either too warm of cool. Well, open your vents, but change the direction so not blowing on your hair.

Ha, my German Shepherds love sitting with their face pointed into the cold wind from the north, and really love sticking their heads out the window in the car. But if you blow in their face, they really get annoyed.

Also like driving with my window down, but a no no with the wife abroad, but with this new thing, she can have warm air, and with me, cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts