Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I love my Cruze as is, but the non-stop check engine lights are getting frustrating. Prior to owning it, I'd never had a car throw a check engine light. In the past 50,000 miles I'd guess the Cruze has thrown at least 10. The check engine lights have almost always been something related to emissions equipment, so I feel like it's time to seriously consider the tune and delete. I do have a few questions on it though. I've looked through the other threads on deletes and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So here are my questions.

-Is there any advantage to getting the EGR blocker plate? I know people have said that the tune shuts off the EGR, so is the blocker plate really necessary? Even if it's not necessary, is there any advantage to it?
-Does anyone have anything bad to say about tune or delete? I've only heard good things about it, so is there anyone out there who had a bad experience?
-Is the install fairly straight forward? The posts I've seen on the thread make it look somewhat easy, but I find online posts always have a way of making things look very easy haha
-What kind of fuel economy numbers are people seeing in the city after the tune and delete?
-Anything else to add?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
i work in alberta, live in bc

will delete my cruze next year, have had zero emissions repairs so far, i have all 3 cels that the recalls are for, probably go in next week for them

someone on here said they lost lots of heat with the delete.

i dont understand why....my kenworth is deleted, heat is normal, my western stars for the years prior were deleted, heat was same before and after delete.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someone on here said they lost lots of heat with the delete.
I've seen that too. Obviously it wouldn't get as hot under there as when the car is doing a regen, but I would think under normal conditions it wouldn't have had much of a difference.

Also, somewhat on the heat topic, is there any benefit to heat wrapping the down pipe? I'm going to guess that if lots of heat has been lost with the delete, heat wrapping is probably unecessary, but figured it'd be worth asking.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I've seen that too. Obviously it wouldn't get as hot under there as when the car is doing a regen, but I would think under normal conditions it wouldn't have had much of a difference.

Also, somewhat on the heat topic, is there any benefit to heat wrapping the down pipe? I'm going to guess that if lots of heat has been lost with the delete, heat wrapping is probably unecessary, but figured it'd be worth asking.
they said the car never gets up to heat

us up here in real winter need the heat

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they said the car never gets up to heat

us up here in real winter need the heat
Yeah, that could definitely be an issue then. Would be curious to hear more from whoever that was. I know as is, mine won't really warm up in city driving in winter. Never really gets past the quarter mark on the coolant temperature gauge. Thankfully I've got heated underground parking, so at least the inside of the car will be warm on the way to work. On the way home, I'll likely just freeze as I park outside at work. That's pretty much the way it's been since I've owned the car though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The electric heater built into the hvac system has always done a good job for me. I wouldn’t imagine deleting making a difference as far as cabin heat because you could just use the electric heat. I think the problem is that no one knows how to use it right. The temp control knob has to be all the way to full hot, and don’t crank the fan to full blast. Put it at level two or three and it seems to do fine. If the temp control knob is even 1 click back from full heat, the electric heater won’t turn on.

As far as the egr plate, I think it’s just an aesthetics thing.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Yeah, that could definitely be an issue then. Would be curious to hear more from whoever that was. I know as is, mine won't really warm up in city driving in winter. Never really gets past the quarter mark on the coolant temperature gauge. Thankfully I've got heated underground parking, so at least the inside of the car will be warm on the way to work. On the way home, I'll likely just freeze as I park outside at work. That's pretty much the way it's been since I've owned the car though.
mine goes to the tick before dead center for heat all year round, i dont remote start or idle long before driving away

even starting at -51 and 20 km drive to house

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The electric heater built into the hvac system has always done a good job for me. I wouldn’t imagine deleting making a difference as far as cabin heat because you could just use the electric heat. I think the problem is that no one knows how to use it right. The temp control knob has to be all the way to full hot, and don’t crank the fan to full blast. Put it at level two or three and it seems to do fine. If the temp control knob is even 1 click back from full heat, the electric heater won’t turn on.

As far as the egr plate, I think it’s just an aesthetics thing.
I did know that with the heater that it has to be on the highest setting. Always have mine on the highest setting in the winter. Typically keep the fan speed down to one or two. I'm trying to remember now, but maybe mine only goes a quarter of the way up the coolant gauge if I have the fan on full speed. I think it does actually warm up to a tick below the middle mark in city driving if I leave the fan on setting one or two.

If the EGR plate is just for aesthetics, I think I'd be more likely to leave it. Not like I'm bring my Cruze to car shows and showing off under the hood.

·
Registered
376 Posts
With EGR off my car runs much colder and gets much better fuel mileage. In winter its night and day just use some cardboard and be done with it. Im not deleted.
In the summer it takes 5 - 10 times longer to warm up, winter longer. It creates alot less soot with EGR off. The oil stays clean a long time.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
With EGR off my car runs much colder and gets much better fuel mileage. In winter its night and day just use some cardboard and be done with it. Im not deleted.
In the summer it takes 5 - 10 times longer to warm up, winter longer. It creates alot less soot with EGR off. The oil stays clean a long time.
Interesting.. I have EGR unplugged on my Diesel truck... It gives me a permanent CEL P0405.. but I have an Ultragage and monitor for any other codes should they come in, and ignore the light. Better MPG with the EGR unplugged and no worries about a stuck open valve wiping out the turbo, which had happened to other Cummins owners. How did you disable EGR on your Cruze without a full delete?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The cooling system is sized to accommodate cooling hot exhaust gas flow through the EGR, this is a considerable heat load on the cooling system. Remove EGR flow and now you have an abundance of capacity and minimal heat, which is typical for a diesel engine. It's why you see big rigs with their radiator covers in the winter. In my Cummins with no EGR flow it will not even open the thermostat, ever, even after a highway drive.. in mild temp and no trailer load.. the EGR adds consdirable heat to the coolant, without that it will be noticed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
EGR was the worst thing to add on a diesel, b/c diesel exhaust isnt just "gas". The amount of garbage that gets recycled into your intake is ridiculous. Eventually makes the engine run like crap.

You cannot remove/block the EGR on a modern vehicle without also retuning the ECM.

My plan is to add a few Fleece parts come Christmas.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So just to be clear, more so what I’m looking for is “is the EGR blocker plate necessary or with the delete tune is it completely unnecessary with no advantage accept aesthetics because the tune shuts off the EGR?”

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Th egr blocking plate is not necessary. Fleece doesn't even have it installed on their own cruze. The egr valve will remain closed on it's own when unplugged.

On bigger engines they can potentially be forced open but this doesn't seem to be an issue on the cruze.

I was the person who said the delete makes the cruze even more cold blooded. This is true. It will heat all the way up on the freeway and longer drives in the winter but around town it won't. I'm going to completely block off the radiator this winter.

The install is pretty easy in hindsight but takes longer the first time you do it. Take your time.

The only negative thing about the delete is it still shoots some raw fuel into the exhaust until the engine warms to heat up the dpf that's no longer there so it stinks more than it should on cold startup and cold economy could be better if that was shut off

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
People say the thermostat never opens in cold weather, then they say they're blocking the radiator airflow to prevent overcooling of the coolant the thermostat sends through the radiator. Is that a contradiction, or does too much coolant flow bypass the thermostat?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
People say the thermostat never opens in cold weather, then they say they're blocking the radiator airflow to prevent overcooling of the coolant the thermostat sends through the radiator. Is that a contradiction, or does too much coolant flow bypass the thermostat?
The airflow through the radiator doesn't just cool the coolant, it directly air cools the Engine as well. Also a small amount of coolant flow continues even with a closed thermostat, particularly EGR cooler, heater, etc. Also most thermostats have a small bypass hole for some flow even when shut.. hope that helps clear it up.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Th egr blocking plate is not necessary. Fleece doesn't even have it installed on their own cruze. The egr valve will remain closed on it's own when unplugged.

On bigger engines they can potentially be forced open but this doesn't seem to be an issue on the cruze.

I was the person who said the delete makes the cruze even more cold blooded. This is true. It will heat all the way up on the freeway and longer drives in the winter but around town it won't. I'm going to completely block off the radiator this winter.

The install is pretty easy in hindsight but takes longer the first time you do it. Take your time.

The only negative thing about the delete is it still shoots some raw fuel into the exhaust until the engine warms to heat up the dpf that's no longer there so it stinks more than it should on cold startup and cold economy could be better if that was shut off
Very interesting. From what I have read the tune should eliminate ALL post injection events. From what you describe it seems you still have warm up post injection.. I didn't even realize that was something the car would do. Is it possible it's just running rich when cold? Gasoline cars run rich to warm up in what is called open loop, where the O2 sensor is not used to control mixture.. as a result high emmisions when cold.. perhaps that is it, and not post injection?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just put in the order for the tune and delete. Not sure how long it'll take to ship. Also, I currently have a CEL on (what inspired me to start seriously considering the tune and delete in the first place). Scanned and it's P11A0 and P22FA. Should I take it in and have these dealt with prior to doing the tune and delete or will the tune and DPF delete fix these issues? I'm pretty sure it'll fix the P22FA as that's NOx sensor related. I can't find any information on P11A0 though.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Just put in the order for the tune and delete. Not sure how long it'll take to ship. Also, I currently have a CEL on (what inspired me to start seriously considering the tune and delete in the first place). Scanned and it's P11A0 and P22FA. Should I take it in and have these dealt with prior to doing the tune and delete or will the tune and DPF delete fix these issues? I'm pretty sure it'll fix the P22FA as that's NOx sensor related. I can't find any information on P11A0 though.
Did you have the most recent recall? It would replace one of the NOx sensors..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you have the most recent recall? It would replace one of the NOx sensors..

I haven't gotten the most recent recall done yet.

Anyone have any info on the P11A0 and can anyone confirm if the tune and delete will make the P22FA go away or should I take it in prior to doing the tune and delete?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.