Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Cruze LTZ and I am getting a clunk at the front passenger side over SOME bumps (bigger ones like manhole covers, etc.) It doesn't happen all the time, I have 37k on the car... Does this sound like it could be the sway bar end links?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Endlinks or mounts. I recommend upgrading to the MOOG Endlinks. For more information check here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/153-gen1-brakes-suspension-tutorials/168338-how-replace-sway-anti-roll-bar-end-links.html

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Endlinks or mounts. I recommend upgrading to the MOOG Endlinks. For more information check here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/153-gen1-brakes-suspension-tutorials/168338-how-replace-sway-anti-roll-bar-end-links.html

Yeah I saw these. I was just wondering if that's what it seems like it would be with my mileage and everything. It seems that way to me, but it isn't doing it all the time only over certain bumps.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Yeah I saw these. I was just wondering if that's what it seems like it would be with my mileage and everything. It seems that way to me, but it isn't doing it all the time only over certain bumps.

Based on the mileage and such, I'd say the endlinks. My mounts didn't make noise until like 60-70k

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,099 Posts
I have a 2015 Cruze LTZ and I am getting a clunk at the front passenger side over SOME bumps (bigger ones like manhole covers, etc.) It doesn't happen all the time, I have 37k on the car... Does this sound like it could be the sway bar end links?

Sounds just like an Aaron Rodgers!! ;>)

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I have a clunking...rattle but figured out what mine is. Plastic snaps that hold the wheel well in place were missing so more or less flapping a bit in the breeze. I was thinking end links before it got louder lol

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Hope u get your clunking fixed. I just picked up a pack of the nylon rivets to hold my fender well in place. Quiet as ever driving home....had to put them in in the parking lot lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the end links with the Moog set up but my clunking is still happening. It almost seems like depending on the bump it sounds like it's on either the driver or the passenger side. It isn't happening over smaller bumps and it seems to really only happen if the wheel is turned. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like brake pads.. Mine does that over the same type of bumps... I apply brakes very lightly over the same bumps and it goes away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like brake pads.. Mine does that over the same type of bumps... I apply brakes very lightly over the same bumps and it goes away.

Just changed all the pads and rotors at the same time as the sway bar end links. Brakes are completely quiet so I don't think they are the culprits here. It really sounds like the sway bar but the bushings and the end links are good. I'm really at a loss.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I think someone said the sway bar bushings were indeed urethane and not rubber. At 36,000 miles I doubt the sway bar is the problem. I can't look back in this post to see what year your vehicle is without loosing what I'm typing. At 35,000 miles seems kinda low, the vehicle may have been sitting.

I'd look into the strut rubber mount at the top of the strut between the strut and the shock tower. They have been known to make noise while turning at low speeds.

This was an issue with 2011's and 2012's when they were new right off dealership lot. There was even a change with 2011-2012's to address front strut/springs for this issue. All latter Cruze's got the updated parts, but a low mileage car that's been sitting, makes noise while turning that's where I'd be looking before tearing out the sway bar.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think someone said the sway bar bushings were indeed urethane and not rubber. At 36,000 miles I doubt the sway bar is the problem. I can't look back in this post to see what year your vehicle is without loosing what I'm typing. At 35,000 miles seems kinda low, the vehicle may have been sitting.

I'd look into the strut rubber mount at the top of the strut between the strut and the shock tower. They have been known to make noise while turning at low speeds.

This was an issue with 2011's and 2012's when they were new right off dealership lot. There was even a change with 2011-2012's to address front strut/springs for this issue. All latter Cruze's got the updated parts, but a low mileage car that's been sitting, makes noise while turning that's where I'd be looking before tearing out the sway bar.

Car is a 2015 and it just hit 40k miles. I am not going to be tearing out the sway bar as I already replaced the endlinks and the bushings appear to be fine. When turning the wheel (while sitting still) there is NO noise at all from the struts which tells me the strut mounts are ok (unless I'm missing something). I'm not sure what else to check...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I had mine replaced at the dealer in the first 500 miles.. Going slowly less than 5 miles per hour in a parking lot turning the wheel fairly tightly while moving. Could hear a popping noise when turning one direction, but not in the other direction.

I drove the car with the tech and he said sounds like the shock mount is not allowing smooth movement. There have been service bulletins that told the technicians to liberally apply silicone spray up into the rubber on the top of the mount. This sometimes works, but it doesn't seem to last.

Might be worth it for diagnostic purposes though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, it doesn't happen specifically while turning, just seems to happen more when turning. The sound is there whether turning or not while going over larger bumps. Also sounds like it is on the passenger side sometimes and other times I swear it's on the drivers side which is why I initially thought that the sway bar end links made sense.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had mine replaced at the dealer in the first 500 miles.. Going slowly less than 5 miles per hour in a parking lot turning the wheel fairly tightly while moving. Could hear a popping noise when turning one direction, but not in the other direction.

I drove the car with the tech and he said sounds like the shock mount is not allowing smooth movement. There have been service bulletins that told the technicians to liberally apply silicone spray up into the rubber on the top of the mount. This sometimes works, but it doesn't seem to last.

Might be worth it for diagnostic purposes though.

I can give that a try, but that is not the noise I am getting. It is definitely more of a metallic clunk sound versus a "pop" sound. It's the exact sound you would get if your sway bar bushings were bad and the bar was moving around.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK so here is the latest. I am now getting a noise when sitting still (doesn't happen if the car is moving) when turning the wheel to the left. I believe it is related to the clunking sound I am getting as well. Lower control arm?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts