Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today at home, got in & pressed clutch pedal, went almost to floor before it actuated the clutch, that is, before more resistance was felt to further movement. I pressed it about a dozen times & it pumped up some. Noticed a slightly lower engagement on my last drive 36 hrs earlier but it didn't trigger my serious concern at the time. Fluid reservoir level is normal. Decided not to proceed, did not try to start the car, will leave the car at home until I can take it or have it towed for service.

Still under warranty but, if it can be pumped up, this seems like the sort of thing GM or the dealer might shrug off until the warranty is expired. About 20,500 miles on the odo, and about 6 months left in the 5 year powertrain warranty. Any tricks or magic words for dealing with GM or the dealership reluctant to do warranty work?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had it happen to me. It took three failures until the dealer bit the bullet, pulled the transmission, and replaced the slave cylinder. Insist that they replace it, or there are high odds that it will fail again down the line.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it may be the pressure plate...
That would be crazy... I am very gentle and deliberate driver, I know what kills clutches and I don't do those things. I have owned five manual transmission cars since the 1970s, and only one automatic for two years in all this time. I have never had to replace a clutch in a car I've owned (until, maybe, this one at 20,500 miles!), and the two (Japanese sedans) I've driven to high mileages, have with their 2nd owners (people I know) gone well over 200,000 miles without ever replacing the clutch.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,167 Posts
Sure sign the slave cyl is on its way out...just what you were trying to avoid with the fluid changes, etc IIRC.

Figure out how you can duplicate it, if possible, and drop it off in the service bay requesting a tech to look at it happening. Or shoot a video and email to the service advisor to send to the tech.

Communication/duplicating the issues with my Gen 1's transmission were a huge pain in the whole process.

·
Registered
2018 Cruze Hatch LT RS 6MT
20 Posts
Should definitely get GM to take care of it. Also should report to NHTSA so maybe an investigation will happen and maybe a recall.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reported to NHTSA. Just left the car at the dealer. Currently, drives OK after pumping it up before starting. Service advisor says they will 'look for leaks'. The 16 hours or so between now & tomorrow, should demonstrate the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That’s good. I have an 18 manual Trans with 28k miles. Really hoping that it either fails sooner rather than later so it will be warranty or for a recall. Don’t particularly want to pay for such a repair.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
They looked at it today & saw it was leaking into the bell housing. Will take it apart tomorrow & if it's the release bearing they will warranty repair. If I understand correctly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Service advisor 'called GM and was told it was not covered. He looked it up & indeed, the clutch release bearing is not part of the powertrain warranty.' I am looking through my docs right now... the owner's manual that I downloaded does not have a warranty page, and the paper owner's manual is with the car that's now at the dealership.

I told them to go ahead & repair it, has to be done.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is no mention of warranty in any of the documents I have here at home.

Yes, I believe it is the slave cylinder. I believe it's integral with the release bearing, an all-in-1 part. Not sure about all that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The slave cylinder is mentioned as covered in the 2020 Warranty Book. Is this what my 2017 Warranty Book also says?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds like the dealer may have misdiagnosed this as the clutch release bearing instead of the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If that’s the case then it should be covered for warranty. It specially stated slave cylinder so if these parts are one unit then the slave cylinder failed which is covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Your description of the problem is common to basically every manual transmission owner of 2nd gen cars. The slave cylinders fail and cause problems.

The slave cylinder is covered under warranty. Do not budge from that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts