Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,167 Posts
Do you have a rental while yours is there? That’s a LOT of money for something that GM has released TSBs about and is part of an integral assembly known for failure.

Get GM Customer Care involved or tell the dealer they need to call their warranty dept again and double check.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Thank you, @jblackburn , will do. Getting by on bicycle for now. Lot of money in any case... they're not replacing the entire clutch, just the slave cyl and (since it's a single assembly) the release bearing and I don't know what else, maybe what's in the bulletin. Online sources place the expected price for a clutch at $1200-$1500. Service advisor said book hours for this was 15 hours ??!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yikes. Yeah don't let this slip. They don't want to eat it, because money, but this sure seems like it aught to be covered. It's an internal transaxle component which is part of your powertrain. The warranty explicitly states the clutch and pressure plate are not covered because they are wear items but I'd think everything else short of wiring should be covered.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The warranty explicitly states the clutch and pressure plate are not covered because they are wear items
This failure does not point to the clutch and/or pressure plate being the problem. I'd only accept that they failed if the dealership opened up the transmission and can point to the parts being bad.

If they are indeed bad but it's still a failed slave cylinder, GM owes you all the standard labor costs as part of the warranty. Sure, it's extra labor to remove the old pressure plate and then install it (and the cost of the new pressure plate), but that's all you should be billed. If it costs GM $2,000 to disassemble the transmission for their warranty work and it's an extra $100 + a $50 part for something not under warranty, you owe them $150 out of your pocket for that.

Depending on if the clutch is anything other than brand spanking new when inspected, it's worth having the mechanic put a new clutch plate in there to have a new part if the cost is low enough.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Called the service advisor, was told the 'help' would involve cutting the price in half to ~$1100. Still sucks for a problem that's supposedly covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Called the service advisor, was told the 'help' would involve cutting the price in half to ~$1100. Still sucks for a problem that's supposedly covered under warranty.
Stick to your warranty benefits as explained in the book in the car. The slave cylinder is failing or failed as per that TSB, and they owe you the repair under warranty.

Worst case: pay for the repair and then take them to small claims court (as I am doing right now with my car).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Let us know how that goes. I saw a Steve Lehto (Lemon Law att'y in Michigan) video & I think he said such suits are usually unsuccessful. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
such suits are usually unsuccessful
It's small claims court. It's an argument over about $800. Do you think GM wants to pay their lawyer to schlep down to Central Illinois to argue with me over $800? The travel expenses and per diem of any lawyer are going to cost more than that. They'll settle.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It's small claims court. It's an argument over about $800. Do you think GM wants to pay their lawyer to schlep down to Central Illinois to argue with me over $800? The travel expenses and per diem of any lawyer are going to cost more than that. They'll settle.
No, they don't want to quibble over a single $800 claim. What they want is not to face a kabillion $800 claims, so they'll contest every last one.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
No, they don't want to quibble over a single $800 claim. What they want is not to face a kabillion $800 claims, so they'll contest every last one.
True, but the odds are stacked against them. Small claims is relatively lax as it is the layperson's access to quick settlements of disputes. The burden of proof there is "clear and convincing evidence" which is somewhere beyond a preponderance of evidence but not quite at the stage of beyond a reasonable doubt.

So, in my case I have the TSBs on the car that are written by GM. GM acknowledges there is a problem with my car starting before I even purchased it. The TSBs were revised to expand the vehicles covered, so GM acknowledges the problem is widespread. Finally, I have the notes from a GM technician on the repair invoice that the problem was a warranty item and that it was not repaired the first time (as I specifically instructed them to do) when they charged me out-of-pocket.

There isn't a judge that is going to buy the argument that it was OK for GM to charge me for a repair that DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM and that the problem immediately resurfaced, 12 miles later, and the warrantied fix did correct the problem. The judge is going to look at the TSBs written by GM and know they have a problem that is acknowledged by them. They're going to look at the insufficient repair made to my car when I specifically told them that was not the problem I was experiencing. They're going to look at the notes on the invoice from the GM technician stating that the warrantied repair was necessary to fix the issue. They're more than likely to rule in my favor.

Thanks to the rules of evidence in my state, GM cannot have the TSBs or repair invoices excluded as hearsay evidence. My state has a "business records" exemption to hearsay where a business record created in the ordinary course of business operations is presumed to be accurate and correct, and it can only be excluded if there is clear and convincing evidence that such records are false or incorrect.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This slave cylinder issue sucks....GM always either gives us a hard time or mis-diagnoses it....Last February I had my clutch fluid bled to the max at the dealership to try and stave this off, My cruze is a Feb build 2016 I believe (Gen 2) and so far, so good for me. I think I will do a clutch bleed on a regular basis if this will stave off the issue. Looking at the picture of the slave cylinder online, I am not too sure what debris is actually breaking off and clogging it. I would love to see this debris first hand....Are we talking half an inch in size? The size of sand? Just what does this debris look like..
I think I will get my vacuum pump out again this weekend, hook it up to the nipple and change the fluid. Paranoid about this....LOL

Jason

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Looking at the picture of the slave cylinder online, I am not too sure what debris is actually breaking off and clogging it. I would love to see this debris first hand....Are we talking half an inch in size? The size of sand? Just what does this debris look like..
It isn't clogging the slave cylinder. It's doing 3 things:
1. It's clogging an orifice in the pipe between the master and the slave cylinders.
2. The debris shed means the slave cylinder isn't working properly.
3. The debris (according to the UK and EU recalls) is causing problems with the ABS controller module to the point that it needs to be replaced in the recall.

In my case, I had symptoms of 1 and 2. My clutch pedal was sticking to the floor AND the slave cylinder wasn't working (the transmission would not go into gear).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Do you think then Barry by doing regular clutch fluid changes this may help the problem?
Absolutely not. A failing slave cylinder is a failing slave cylinder. You might prevent the problem of the clutch pedal sticking, but you will never prevent the problem of the slave cylinder failing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Absolutely not. A failing slave cylinder is a failing slave cylinder. You might prevent the problem of the clutch pedal sticking, but you will never prevent the problem of the slave cylinder failing.
Hey Barry, I agree on that for sure. However, from what I read, most of the issues people are having here is the debris clogging the orfice....Is the actual slave cylinder failing or is it simply the debris issue most people are having?

Jason

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Is the actual slave cylinder failing or is it simply the debris issue most people are having?
The debris is FROM the slave cylinder. The recalls in the EU and UK state it's debris from the slave cylinder that contaminates the hydraulic fluid and can damage brake components, so that's why it's all replaced.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Won't budge on charging for the master cylinder and lines. $1100-ish. Still don't know when I'll get the car back, have been 'car free' for 10 days now. If they do the entire repair right the first time (ignoring the shared fluid reservoir, and thus anything to do with the brakes/ABS module for the time being), I suppose I should credit them vs. some of these tales of woe.

I'm not sure where to go next. Between possible brake problems, and that my pistons haven't cracked yet but very likely will (occasionally hear clanks from under the hood when I get on it), and all the trouble with crudded up intake valves and turbos and cheap plastic vacuum booster pumps... Should I exit this unreliable money pit? 21,000 miles & 4 1/2 years of ownership.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'll possibly get the car back tomorrow. I won't be able to tell you exactly what until then.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts