Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought it new. 143,500 miles on it now. I put new OEM turbo on due to leaky line at 130k. Car is in great shape. I have 4 post lift in a freezing garage. I'm usually a do it yourselfer but this doesn't look like a good job to do on a 4 post lift especially in the cold. Has anyone paid a dealer vs small town garage? I'm calling for prices tomorrow. I've spent hours searching this forum.. I have a shopping list.

Clutch has slipped a few times over the past few months but last night I almost didn't make it up a hill so now is the time.

OEM Part Numbers -
Shopping list -
Flywheel - 55599020
disk - 55587035
pressure plate - 55565497
realease bearing AND slave cylinder - 55593577
alignment bushing - 9157141

Shopping list -
Flywheel - 55599020
disk - 55587035
6 new flywheel bolts - 55559650
6 pressure plate bolts - 90470712
3 quarts synchromesh
Dot3 brake fluid to bleed slave

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't speak with 100% certainty on the 1.4t cruze, I drive a 2011 1.8L. I needed my Transmission replaced a while back due to car accident related issues. At the time the mechanic recommended I do the clutch also, because in order to replace the clutch - you have to drop the transmission... (great design chevy..)

Anyway, I think labor was something around $1000 for new trans + new clutch for 6 or 7 hours of labor. This was at a non-dealer transmission shop in the west-metro of Minneapolis about 2 years ago. In my area, Chevy dealers typically charge about 1.5 or 2 times the labor costs of non-dealer outfits (partly from higher rates, and partly from double-counting time. i.e. they would have charged me 6 hrs time for the tranny replacement, and 6 hours time for the clutch, even though it was 6 hrs total time).

If you have a lift, I can only assume you also have the tools to drop a transmission, but I really don't envy the job you're taking on. I'd expect to use up a whole weekend or more doing this (again, assuming the 1.4t has the same process to replace the clutch as 1.8NA).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^Interesting information thanks for the response! Yes I have a lift, engine hoist, tranny jack.. Time and the lack of heat in the garage are the 2 things I'm lacking.

Quotes are coming in
Local garage - $650 labor I bring in all the parts
Local chevy dealer - $1655 if it has the 216mm clutch disk. $1772 if it has the 228mm clutch disk. I guess my vin doesn't say what clutch disk it has. (was given same price by 2 chevy dealers)

Now to figure out what clutch disk I have.

·
Registered
969 Posts
...because in order to replace the clutch - you have to drop the transmission... (great design chevy..)

Maybe you're being facetious - it's not clear. But I've never see a manual transmission where the clutch could be changed without dropping the tranny.

Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe you're being facetious - it's not clear. But I've never see a manual transmission where the clutch could be changed without dropping the tranny.
I'm just passing on what the mechanic told me. I think they're reputable, but I'll admit there is always the possibility they lied to sell me a clutch. Looking on the forums though, it looks like the Mechanic was being honest. https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/how-to-mt-removal-clutch-replacement.160825/

·
Registered
8 Posts
^Interesting information thanks for the response! Yes I have a lift, engine hoist, tranny jack.. Time and the lack of heat in the garage are the 2 things I'm lacking.

Quotes are coming in
Local garage - $650 labor I bring in all the parts
Local chevy dealer - $1655 if it has the 216mm clutch disk. $1772 if it has the 228mm clutch disk. I guess my vin doesn't say what clutch disk it has. (was given same price by 2 chevy dealers)

Now to figure out what clutch disk I have.
Just a thought, if you have all the tools, and a garage that isn't too large. You can still buy a really nice space heater and still save money over the Chevy dealer. I posted this in another reply, but here's a full instruction set on clutch replacement: https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/how-to-mt-removal-clutch-replacement.160825/

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought it new. 143,500 miles on it now. I put new OEM turbo on due to leaky line at 130k. Car is in great shape. I have 4 post lift in a freezing garage. I'm usually a do it yourselfer but this doesn't look like a good job to do on a 4 post lift especially in the cold. Has anyone paid a dealer vs small town garage? I'm calling for prices tomorrow. I've spent hours searching this forum.. I have a shopping list.

Clutch has slipped a few times over the past few months but last night I almost didn't make it up a hill so now is the time.

OEM Part Numbers -
Shopping list -
Flywheel - 55599020
disk - 55587035

Shopping list -
Flywheel - 55599020
disk - 55587035
6 new flywheel bolts - 55559650
6 pressure plate bolts - 90470712
3 quarts synchromesh
Dot3 brake fluid to bleed slave
The easiest way to do it is to take the engine & transmission out from the top. I've done a swap engine this summer and replaced the clutch plate and slave cylinder also. Check here for details:
https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/how-to-engine-swap-2011-eco-mt-to-2014-eco-mt.245159/#post-3254966
However.. I hate working in cold weather, the clutch replacement it should take you one weekend only (ask a friend to help) but my advise is to do it in a warmer weather, or heated garage...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Reading thru that thread, I got the impression that the technique used didn't really allow for a proper repair. Dropping the sub-frame isn't really that hard. Not that I like dropping sub-frames and transmissions, but changing a clutch without machining or replacing the flywheel begs for another big repair way too soon.

Doug

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two throwout bearing part numbers are coming up. 55593577 and 55563645 . Currently trying to figure out the difference. Both say they are for 2012 cruze.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A dealer just told me the 3577 number is the 2nd design for 228mm... my closest dealer told me 645 was latest design.. UGH... I ordered both and I will have to figure it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts