Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer I purchased my car from last week is saying the compact spare kit is over 500 bucks! Comes w/ jack and some sort of holder thing. But my gosh till I spend that I could have a real spare. ( doesnt look like it would fully fit but anyway).
Should this infernal kit be over 500 bucks??? All it comes w/ is the pump and can stuff.
I tried to bargain a spare in but we already got it at a large rebate plus my trade in, they wouldnt budge.
I called junk yards they all said its too new have nothing like it.
Do donut spares hurt disc brakes??? thanks....

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sounds like super inflation, for the Eco in 2012, compact spare tire with the jack was $100.00, but only if you purchased the Eco with an AT, wasn't even available with a MT, that caused me to ask a stupid question, what in the hail does the transmission have to do with a spare tire?

So we looked at the 2LT, here it was also a hundred bucks, but on this model didn't make any difference if you purchased it with an automatic or a manual transmission, is somebody at GM smoking crack?

But we got our manual transmission and elected to pay a thousand bucks for that compact spare tire as part of a package, that also included leather, electrically heated seats, power drivers seat, superior radio, and suspension.

Don't even get me started on compact spares, radius of these stupid things is only an inch less than the standard tires, claim it saves weight. If anything should save weight, should be these big fat marketing guys that make these stupid decisions. 50 mph and a 50 mile limit. TPMS and ABS/traction control goes nuts, and these are not safe to drive. Also have a much lower weight limit.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Sounds like super inflation, for the Eco in 2012, compact spare tire with the jack was $100.00, but only if you purchased the Eco with an AT, wasn't even available with a MT, that caused me to ask a stupid question, what in the hail does the transmission have to do with a spare tire?
You can thank the EPA testing done to get that ECO 42MPG highway rating(an improvement of 4MPG over the standard car). Sure that spare tire may not seem like much, but in the weight savings game its equal to almost 0.5-1MPG in weight savings. Its also not uncommon for factory options to be significantly cheaper than getting the same exact parts at the dealer, this spare kit is a prime example. RS package is only $800 but all those difference would be more than $2000 if they were bought at the dealer.

EDIT: I should add there was only 10lb difference going from a compact spare to a full size spare the same size as my cruze came equipped with.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, what about elimination the trunk, one of my kids, won't mention which one had a ton of crap in theirs, what are you carrying all this junk for? Well I didn't have time to remove it.

What about carrying a heavy speaker enclosure back there like two 15" woofers?

With my 2LT, could always rely on getting 46 mpg on the interstate, with a compact spare, what really killed my fuel economy was this stupid winter gas that we were paying as much as $4.50 a gallon for oxygen and nitrogen.

Not fun living in a world full of BS.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You can thank the EPA testing done to get that ECO 42MPG highway rating(an improvement of 4MPG over the standard car). Sure that spare tire may not seem like much, but in the weight savings game its equal to almost 0.5-1MPG in weight savings. Its also not uncommon for factory options to be significantly cheaper than getting the same exact parts at the dealer, this spare kit is a prime example. RS package is only $800 but all those difference would be more than $2000 if they were bought at the dealer.

EDIT: I should add there was only 10lb difference going from a compact spare to a full size spare the same size as my cruze came equipped with.
Not the highway number - it's the city number that's excessively sensitive to curb weight. I will flat out tell you that adding the spare to my ECO MT did NOT change my city or highway fuel economy. The problem here isn't GM but the EPA - yeah, now I sound like NickD, but in this case the EPA's methods for calculating city fuel economy are the real culprit and reason for no spare in the ECO MT.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I will flat out tell you that adding the spare to my ECO MT did NOT change my city or highway fuel economy.

Sure that weight savings does bring up the city MPG by 2, but from my own testing over thousands of miles with and without a spare stack its good for around AROUND 1mpg improvement on the highway MPG as well. Add that to all the other weight reductions, engine load being lower at every speed on the highway, it certainly does attribute to some to some of the 4MPG highway improvement over the standard car.

Allot of the time I fill my tank, ramp on the highway, set my car at the exact same speed and top off 3-4 hours later at the same pump. This eliminates some of the variable in MPG, with that said every single time I ran without the spare tire my highway MPG was better than with. Makes sense though, if you do the horsepower to pound calculation you can see even the 60lbs off the car does make a significant change in how hard those 138HP has to work.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure like picking on this little stuff, but makes sense when leaders have little brains. 65 Buick came with a fluid driven fan that was a constant problem and extremely expensive to replace. In doing some calculations, worse case power consumption was 1/3 HP, and at idle when you needed cooling the most. Different story on the highway, have these guys ever heard about the windmilling effect? Guess not.

Was able to go to a salvage yard back then and get a fixed fan for a buck, not a bit of difference in fuel economy, but sure made a huge difference in stopping engine overheating in city traffic.

Noted on this new thing, the spare tire cavity is large enough to hold a full size spare, but also came with a doughnut. If you stop and think for a second, this is logic, if you do need to put on that compact, where can you put that full sized tire if your trunk is already loaded with stuff?

Do you just leave that overprice alloy wheel in the ditch even if the tire is shot? Or in the laps of your rear seat passengers?

Whatever happened to thinking? Driving at 50 mph on the interstate, you would get ran off the road! Have a word for people that don't think, call them idiots. But who are the real idiots? Us who put up with the BS.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Sure that weight savings does bring up the city MPG by 2, but from my own testing over thousands of miles with and without a spare stack its good for around AROUND 1mpg improvement on the highway MPG as well. Add that to all the other weight reductions, engine load being lower at every speed on the highway, it certainly does attribute to some to some of the 4MPG highway improvement over the standard car.

Allot of the time I fill my tank, ramp on the highway, set my car at the exact same speed and top off 3-4 hours later at the same pump. This eliminates some of the variable in MPG, with that said every single time I ran without the spare tire my highway MPG was better than with. Makes sense though, if you do the horsepower to pound calculation you can see even the 60lbs off the car does make a significant change in how hard those 138HP has to work.
My lifetime overall average went from 42.3 MPG to 42.6/7 MPG since I installed the spare tire stack. If anything it's helped weight distribution (ha!)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what Im seeing and reading here my car is 2nd gen, my cruze ls manual turbo 1.4L. I have a price on a compact spare from a local tire dealer he is getting it used from a totaled car, he said its a 16" donut (my tires are 15) but says it will fit. Will have them try it before I leave w/ it. He says 115 bucks. All I need then is a jack. I wanted a full tire and wheel but we measured it would push up the trunk liner thing and would take up too much space we think...so we opted the stupid donut. I wish I knew for sure the full size wouldnt fit.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Reminds me of the muscle car days dropping a huge hunk of iron under the hood with front to back weight ratios of like 70-30, but sure were great at squealing tires with RWD.

If you wanted to drive these things with an 1/8" of snow on the ground, had to load your trunk with about 400 pounds were of sand bags. Even made these with plastic liners so you wouldn't spill sand all over your trunk.

Did a bit of net searching, can buy a new full size steel wheel for 62 bucks, and a full size tire for 67 bucks for my toy. Some guys went to a salvage yard and purchase an alloy wheel with a tire, but no way to tie it down. But not in Wisconsin, salvage yards around here want more than net prices for a tire for a worn out piece of crap, have liability laws in this state.

At least my wife wasn't killed by an untied compact spare, it was securely tied down. Ever look at those cheap rear seat locks? Made out of tin.

May think about saving ten pounds but what about your safety, in particular driving on icy roads with a compact spare. Your ABS light will be on with no ABS, and your traction would be next to worthless. Owner manual also says to install it in the rear, that's two wheels to change if in the front.

What good is TPMS when the only thing you can find at a convenience gas station is a case of beer? Road salt and tubeless tires sure don't get along, have about ten feet of circumstance per tire with a rubber to metal contact that gives you 40 extra feet of potential leaks.

So help me, our government making these laws are smoking crack.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you much appreciated...I think my local tire shop may have got me one for 125 like new from a wrecked 2016...its 16" my car is 15 but they say it will fit, I will make em put it on first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.