Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like GM is releasing a bi-fuel Impala next summer that can run on either CNG or gasoline. I think this is a great idea. But does anyone know whether it will be the "good" Impala or the substandard "Impala Limited" that they make for fleet use? I would not buy the fleet version for personal use.

Could we see a CNG Cruze someday, too?

GM to sell Impala powered by natural gas, gasoline - CBS News

General Motors (GM) says it will start selling a Chevrolet Impala sedan next summer that runs on both natural gas and gasoline.The company says both fuels are needed because there are few natural gas filling stations in the U.S.
GM says the Impala will be the only factory-produced full-size car that runs on both fuels

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Holden used to sell a duel fuel Commodore, petrol, LPG, but they had to use the lower performance engine for the sake of durability. The current Commodore has a LPG only car but again the lower power engine is used. All LPG cars were aimed at fleet and taxis. No direct injection engines run on LPG.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
CNG for the 1.4L Cruze is allready on the market for 2013 and 2014. It's being done at GM authorized independent modification shops. I called one of them in Wisconsin and was given 9,500 USD to convert a Cruze. Hopefully the mass produced Impala will bring this cost down, or there becomes some goverment incentives for the conversion.

If you live in Colorado, Utah, or Oaklahoma, I think your states offer a pretty good rebate on this conversion price, but for those of us in a state that doesn't discount conversion costs it makes the economics difficult.

I've looked into this, and about 5 years ago there was a government incentive to rebate half the cost of the conversion, but at that time there wasn't any promoting fuel infrastructure.

We'll have to see what happens.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
CNG for the 1.4L Cruze is allready on the market for 2013 and 2014. It's being done at GM authorized independent modification shops. I called one of them in Wisconsin and was given 9,500 USD to convert a Cruze. Hopefully the mass produced Impala will bring this cost down, or there becomes some goverment incentives for the conversion..
It is just so much cheaper, by orders of magnitude, to build OEM CNG right at the factory.

I can't really see CNG as a long-term strategy, once they can build affordable batteries that get 200+ mile range though. Although, I guess s CNG tank does take up a lot less space than batteries, so there's that. I'm really hoping that they'll offer a Voltec Cruze, with say, 25 miles of range, comparable to Ford's C-Max. I'd strongly consider that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts