Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ. Lolve the car but mileage is no where near what they call for. I am getting 20.5 in town & 28.5 on the road. There is a chip/or box aftermarket that they say will bring up the Mileage,Horsepower & Torque. I am worried about footprints it may leave that may
void my 100,000 mile warranty. Any suggestions from anyone? Thank you!

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Stay away from that! It is a scam to get your money.

The trifecta tune will improve yoru MPG as well as a CAI/SRI and practice good driving (most 90% of the work for better MPG)

Alot of things factor in here:

Where are you located?
Are you in heavy traffic and idle alot?
Where is your TIRE PSI at?
Have you checked your spark plug gap? http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-library/6722-diy-re-gap-factory-spark-plugs.html
Alot of people notice they are out of whack and have since seen improved MPG.

Check this thread out and A LOT of these questions may be answered.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/5387-how-get-better-fuel-economy.html

But do stay away from that chip or whatever...

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
He's got a 2011, which isn't the best at real world MPG.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, i am 83 years old, live in Hemet, Ca. & have flat terrain but some traffic. I use cruise control every where i can. I know most of the tricks to get good gas mileage after having owned a Prius, but this 2011 Cruze LTZ has me scratching my head trying to get good gas mileage. Any other ideas out there?

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
He's got a 2011, which isn't the best at real world MPG.
Thats true, but 20/28 is what I get, and I don't full on floor it, but I don't baby it either. So he's got to have a little bit of a heavy foot.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
plugs

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Spark plug gap will help. As will running premium fuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI again! Thank you all so much for your observations & recommendations! As i said, at 83 there are some things I can do & some I cannot. The thing I
get out of all the suggestions are; keep my foot out of it, the right tire pressure for the Michelin's, & last but possibly most important, could be maybe use
at least 89 octane. Also, i want to tell you folks that i use cruise control as much as possible, from 35 MPH to 40 mph. Also, i don't think my Cruze likes
76 gas. It is down to 18.9 in town with that. I will have the Dealer check the spark plugs. Thank all of you for the help!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Combined your post to avoid multiple threads coastlvr. You can always click on your name to find posts you started.

That petty much sums it up. I've never seen 76 octane but I noticed as well as others that the Cruze is happy with 91. Depending on prices in your area, should only be 3-5 more than 89.

And welcome to the forum.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I assume 76 refers to some old Phillips 76 stations.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
What threw me off was that he said he'll use at least 89 octane. I didn't think anywhere carried a lower rating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, as advised by several of you out there, I had the plugs on my 2011 Cruze LTZ checked. They werer all set @ .22 instead of .28. Is that enough to drop gas mileage? Oh yes, the right plugs were in it & the air filter is new. Just trying to get some mileage out of my Cruze. Opinions welcome!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
coastlvr

You have made a lot of new threads titled coastlvr. We the mods merge them onto this original thread. Please click "+reply to thread" to post in your original discussion.

Also if you don't mind and want to make a new thread about a different question, the title needs to reflect the post, don't put your username so we can better help you, in knowing what the thread is about!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Congrats on your new vehicle and welcome to the forum! Please send me a message if you ever have any vehicle questions or concerns and I will do my best to assist you.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Switch to Shell Premium for a few tanks and see if that helps. Our engines are actually rated for 91/93 octane. The ECU (Engine Control Unit) does a lot of work to prevent engine knocking on lower octanes. It works reasonably well but the trade off is wasted fuel efficiency. Shell Premium, while more expensive, has fuel system cleaners that will help clean out any crap in the engine. I usually run a tank of Shell Premium every 4th or 5th tank for this reason. I always run premium, regardless of station.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts