Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since i was on Cruze talk. I was getting bad gas mileage from my 2011 Cruze LTZ. Dealer did a fuel test of 26 miles & got 32 mpg. I cannot get close to that. Best i have done is 30.6 on a 235 mile trip with up & down hill & lots of level. We have lots of stop signs & lights in Hemet, Ca.
& i can only get about 22.7 mpg. I had a 2007 Prius so i know how to drive for the best gas mileage, but i am stumped! ANYONE got a suggestion or two??

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Maybe you are going too easy on the car. Try to really pulse and glide between stop signs, and do not be afraid to break 2500-3000 RPM when below 20 mph. Get the car up to speed decently quickly and do what you can to maintain it. Accelerating like a granny is a recipe for using a lot more fuel than needed. The torque converter never gets a chance to lock up, and that kills fuel economy.

What have you already tried?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
I am pretty sure coastlvr has tried every thing imaginable , except coasting .

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Maybe you are going too easy on the car. Try to really pulse and glide between stop signs, and do not be afraid to break 2500-3000 RPM when below 20 mph. Get the car up to speed decently quickly and do what you can to maintain it. Accelerating like a granny is a recipe for using a lot more fuel than needed. The torque converter never gets a chance to lock up, and that kills fuel economy.

What have you already tried?
This is so true, i had a roommate that thought shifting his car at ~1500RPMs was going to make it last longer and get him better gas mileage.

he never got his SC2 over 30mpg and his clutch was gone at 95,000mi

I drove the crap out of my balt and averaged 34mpg lifetime and the clutch was still strong when i traded it in at 176,000mi

You don't wanna be red lining it, but you need to make it far enough into the torque curve to move the car.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I would definitely want to see how the person was driving to get those 30MPG and what kind of route they took. Their city driving might have been on main streets with less stop & go than you usually drive.

You also could be one of those people who typically are on the gas until you are braking to stop again(basically your constantly accelerating). This is very very common and I will admit up until a few years ago I was guilty of this very same thing. Learning to only accelerate up to the speed you need(say 25-35mph in the city) then easing off slightly, then learning to let off the gas early and coast up to the next stop/light.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Finally some one with a brain , spaced out you could see along with myself that his habits while driving from light to light stop sign to stop sign are his short comings for gaining MPG

·
Registered
316 Posts
I agree that getting up to speed quicker might be more beneficial, especially in the 2011 autos which had i shorter final drive ratio. Keeping the revs too low will just prolong your time in the lower gears. even my 2012 which has a taller final drive is extremely short through first and second gear. That being said, like others have recommended make use of coasting once you reach your set speed and let off the gas as soon as you see youll need to stop again.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Since I use to live in CA and go to Hemet, I know you are in higher elivation dont know if this is effecting it also. I know its been awhile since I have been in Hemet, but most of the hills are pretty steep, causing long times of higher RPM's.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Are you getting off the loud pedal and letting the DFCO do its job?

Switch your DIC to the metric settings, and put the "instantaneous fuel economy" display up, and watch: if you never see it drop to 0.0, then you aren't making the most of it.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Switch your DIC to the metric settings, and put the "instantaneous fuel economy" display up, and watch: if you never see it drop to 0.0, then you aren't making the most of it.
2011 US cruze don't have an instant MPG screen, that was added in 2012+.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Gentlemen I would have you know that coastlvr is an Octogenarian . Meaning the man is in his 80 ;s

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi coastlvr

Here's a link to a fuel economy site that may have some helpful tips. I hope that it's helpful.

Gas Mileage Tips

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank ALL of you. I have tried most of what you folks recommend, but will re-adjust my thinking & the wife's also. Oh, i had the gap reset @ .30 several months ago. Again, thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try ALL your suggestions. Spark plug gap re-set 4 months ago to 30k Also, the Mechanic took a city street long enough to get on to the Freeway & back off in Banning, Ca. I estimate about 1.6 miles. Thanks for the help!!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
What kind of gasoline are you using? Just filled my tank in my 2012 2LT with a manual transmission. Using the miles/US gallons method, 39.7 mpg with combined city and highway driving. Been using Mobile 91 octane ethanol free.

Reason why I bring this up, had to fill up in Milwaukee using Shell ethanol, only averaged 17 mpg, at a BP station, 91 octane ethanol free, 24 mpg. What did I do to the car? Nothing, just experimented with different gas stations. This is in Wisconsin. Some time ago, watched a 60 Minute segment about gas out west, which I agreed with totally. To make it brief, gas west really sucks.

As it does in Wisconsin as well, we used to have standards in this country.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts