Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chev cruze 2015 display code 89. have changed oil and service car but 89 re-appears. Tried internet which said do pedal pump and reset on DIC. My DIC does not display the reset function. Only display 3 option between mile and kilometer. does not ask oil life or reset function. I am a pensioner with not so much computer savvy but a lot of logic. Is there anybody better looking and cleverer than me that can pleas assist. Ps tried disconeecting battery for three hour with the hope that some internal battery would run down, which delay the re-appearance by about 15 min of code 89.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I do wish that whoever is spreading the misinformation about Code 89 would stop doing it.

When a competent mechanic has a look, it generally turns out to be a problem with the thermostat.

But Code 89 is a general engine problem code, it could be almost anything. Have you had the OBD-II codes read?

Also note the codes on your Cruze will not necessarily match those of the US- and Mexican-built Cruze, which is what most members of this forum have.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do wish that whoever is spreading the misinformation about Code 89 would stop doing it.

When a competent mechanic has a look, it generally turns out to be a problem with the thermostat.

But Code 89 is a general engine problem code, it could be almost anything. Have you had the OBD-II codes read?

Also note the codes on your Cruze will not necessarily match those of the US- and Mexican-built Cruze, which is what most members of this forum have.

Oh, and welcome!
Thank you for reply. What does OBD codes mean? Is it something only a competent mechanic can do with a computer?
Oh, please accept my apologies for my ignorance as I had assume that Cruze were the same , irrespective of where they were assembled . except for left and right hand drive.
Again thanx for advice and I will take it to a reputable mechanic.

·
Registered
948 Posts
OBD - On Board Diagnostic - it's a plug-in system that allows you to ask the car's computer questions.

Sadly, it does not always tell you everything, and some things are hidden, so that only the manufacturer's computers can access them.

So some things can only be done by hooking up a computer, with the right (i.e. expensive) adapter, paying the subscription, and connecting to the mainframe(s) at GM in Detroit (or wherever they're living now).

No need to apologise for not knowing something, if we don't ask questions how else can we learn?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts