Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 cruze Lt 1.4 turbo
Car gave my wife trouble hesitating and stumbling with a service stabilitrack error.
Then the codes
Started out with a p0171 code and typical stalling stuttering so I changed out the valve/cam cover, kept doing the crap, changed out to a new intake.
Kept stumbling so I changed out the sparkplugs, code 0300 kept doing that crap, regapped then all the above stopped.
Then I started getting code 0420.
So today after sitting for 1wk the stuttering and hesitating came back with codes 0300 0420 0171 and the service ESP
Any ideas, before I blow the thing up Walter white style?!?!? I have a new pre and post cat o2 sensor on way.

·
Super Moderator
4,993 Posts
More likely than not it is an issue with the PCV and that would more likely than not correct your issues.

Or check out these:

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
8,028 Posts
Common theme is O2 sensors and coil/plug/misfire. Cleaning the MAF is easy and cheap too.

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow)
Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled.
There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
Faulty or stuck open
PCV valve
Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor
Read more at: OBD-II DTC: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for (unlikely)
A damaged or failed oxygen / O2 sensor
Downstream oxygen sensor (HO2S) wiring damaged or connected improperly
The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / muffler / exhaust pipe
Failed or underperforming catalytic converter (likely)
Retarded spark timing
The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings
Leaking fuel injector or high fuel pressure
Cylinder misfire
Oil contamination
Read more at: P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked/leaking
EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer
Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 cruze Lt 1.4 turbo
Car gave my wife trouble hesitating and stumbling with a service stabilitrack error.
Then the codes
Started out with a p0171 code and typical stalling stuttering so I changed out the valve/cam cover, kept doing the crap, changed out to a new intake.
Kept stumbling so I changed out the sparkplugs, code 0300 kept doing that crap, regapped then all the above stopped.
Then I started getting code 0420.
So today after sitting for 1wk the stuttering and hesitating came back with codes 0300 0420 0171 and the service ESP
Any ideas, before I blow the thing up Walter white style?!?!? I have a new pre and post cat o2 sensor on way. View attachment 284978
I have a 2014 2LT with 1.4. In October the CEL came on. Took it to my mechanic he scanned and figured it was O2 sensors. I changed them both. More recently the CEL came on again with the PO 171 and PO 420. I took it to the mechanic and they told me to change the purge valve solenoid to see if that clears it. Apparently they can have a small vacuum leak. When we filled our gas tank it would have a hard start. So far so good. I just changed it. They said if that didn’t clear then I would have to change the valve cover because of the diaphragm built into it. It would’ve been nice if you could get to the diaphragm to change it out but not possible unless GM comes up with or updates with a different design.

·
Super Moderator
8,028 Posts
After re-reading this thread, I think the issue is with the coil pack. Misfires can can cause too much fuel to be unburnt causing a rich enviroment, allowing too much fuel to pass through the catalytic converter giving it heartburn which forces the ECM to cause the system to lean out.

Just ruminating ...

·
Super Moderator
8,028 Posts
I have a 2014 2LT with 1.4. In October the CEL came on. Took it to my mechanic he scanned and figured it was O2 sensors. I changed them both. More recently the CEL came on again with the PO 171 and PO 420. I took it to the mechanic and they told me to change the purge valve solenoid to see if that clears it. Apparently they can have a small vacuum leak. When we filled our gas tank it would have a hard start. So far so good. I just changed it. They said if that didn’t clear then I would have to change the valve cover because of the diaphragm built into it. It would’ve been nice if you could get to the diaphragm to change it out but not possible unless GM comes up with or updates with a different design.
Read this thoroughly:
2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the replys and ideas. So new coil pack and new purge solenoid. No more chugging and missing codes. If I could back in time I would just bought the plug boots and contacts. So the car runs back to normal, no misses at 30 and 60mph. However now I have a p0420 code and yes i changed the upstream 02. Bought a down stream o2 as well, not changed yet. I'm betting the misses and OG vaccum leak added up to clog the cat. Car has 145000. Next plan is the cat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts