Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Not sure if this is the right place to post, so forgive me 2013 Cruze LT 1.4 with 114k miles. Problem started with engine running rough/misfiring Had misfire cly#1 and multi misfire codes. I pulled off the coil pack to check for spark. I put I put Test wires with alligator clips from ground to each of the boots 2-4, so not to burn up the module. I used a test Light on #1. As I cranked the engine I found that I had no spark coming from #1 coil. So we changed out the coil pack. While we were in there we changed out the spark plugs with the same type. AC Delco with a gap of .027ish. Car ran great, drove around the the neighborhood. Next day had another problem with cooling fan ( found out that it has a low - med and high speed fan. Only had high all this time. Own the car for about 1-1/2 now. Who knew. Anyway replaced the fan. All good ) However before checking out the fan. Once I shut off the engine I here a sizzling noice and seen smoke coming from under the coil pack cover. Disconnected the battery just in case. Found out the the #1 coil burnt through the side of the coil pack. Local shop side to buy it from the dealer because they had problems with aftermarket ones. Well we went ahead and had the coil warranty out. Everything running good again. The next day the light came one and had injector and misfire codes. Got it home. Went to start and cranked but no start. Found No power to coil and injectors. Blown fuse for the injectors and coil. Coil pack was causing the fuse to blow. Pulled coil pack off. Found that the coil at #1 on the end was blown out big time. Looked at the OE coil More closely . Looked to have a small burn out on #1 also. The springs are all the same length. No corrosion on coil connector or at the computer. Got money back on coil and they said could be a bad batch of coils. Going to change out the #1 plug just in case it’s bad causing high resistance. On the next coil we put on I’m going to stretch the springs to make sure they are touching. However before we buy a new coil from the dealer does anyone have any input on this. As I’m sure the dealer wouldn’t warranty the coil out like o’Reilly’s did. Sorry so long but more information there is the easer it is to figure out. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
So you put an aftermarket or ac Delco coil in? I’m confused.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,425 Posts
Mmmmm it telling me that it doesn’t fit the 2013 Chevy Cruze TL 1.4. Did see the ACDelco one. Just may go that way. Amazon said they have a 30 warranty on it.
It does, got one in mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is doing the same thing, I've went through the same thing but with 5 coils.
Oh ****. Are you using aftermarket coils also. We bought the high dollar one from O’Reilly auto parts. As I’m out of town at the moment. After getting his money back. He went to the dealer yesterday and picked one up for about $20 more. He told me that it was a whole lot heavier and it looks like the springs came out closer to the end of the boots. I will keep you guys posted. I will give it a few days first. Not to jinx anything.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Guys and gals blowing out coils need to check the coil ground circuit for integrity to battery ground. There's a single ground terminal that goes to the head below the valve cover, it's solely for the coil. If this is loose, the wire frayed, or connection or wire is corroded you get coil issues with no other symptoms. Of the coil ground circuit is okay, it most likely needs a new coil connector with leads(the 7way coil plug)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

this was the last coil. The worse one. It ended up blowing the fuse for the coil and injectors.
FAE3ED07-3905-4FDB-9690-96B03DB38B7C.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've checked the ground your talking about and it looked fine, itll burn up a new coil within seconds, then itll pop the injector 1 and 3 fuse cause the coil burned up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've looked through the wiring harness several times, couldnt find nothing, completely lost as to why this is doing this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've checked the ground your talking about and it looked fine, itll burn up a new coil within seconds, then itll pop the injector 1 and 3 fuse cause the coil burned up.
Funny thing about the injector 1 & 3 fuse. If memory serves me right. It’s the #9 fuse ( I think ). Anyway that fuse supplies power to the coil pack and all of the injectors. Don’t like there labeling of the fuse box

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Pull off the spark plugs boot and inspect the spring. It should have a resistor pellet integrated into. Measure the resistance of the spring from one end, to the end of the resistor pellet(looks like a tiny fuse or capsule usually). You should have somewhere between 800-1200ohms resistance. If you just have a plain spring, or if the resistance is below 800 or so, that's why you're blowing out coils.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts