Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll check it but I'll have to buy another coil, this will be the 6th coil I've bought. When it first happened I thought it was a missfire like any other car. Itll run with old coil and not fry it but itll miss on cylinder 1, a brand new coil itll start smoking blow the side of the coil out then pop fuse #9 all within a few seconds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'll check it but I'll have to buy another coil, this will be the 6th coil I've bought. When it first happened I thought it was a missfire like any other car. Itll run with old coil and not fry it but itll miss on cylinder 1, a brand new coil itll start smoking blow the side of the coil out then pop fuse #9 all within a few seconds.
Have you stretched the new springs. What type of plugs are you using. Where From and type of coil you using. Once again I’m not home and they haven’t drove the car much because of weather. So once he tells me how the dealer coil ( $180 ) does. I’ll post the results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ac delco spark plugs, 2 coils from autozone, 3 from oreillys.
Springs were same size as factory coil springs, I pretty sure it's something before the coil but I cannot find any indication of any shorted wires. I've tested for resistance on each wire to the coil plug, everything checked out fine. I'm lost, a car with 130,000 should not be having these problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
New member here. Not sure if this is the right place to post, so forgive me 2013 Cruze LT 1.4 with 114k miles. Problem started with engine running rough/misfiring Had misfire cly#1 and multi misfire codes. I pulled off the coil pack to check for spark. I put I put Test wires with alligator clips from ground to each of the boots 2-4, so not to burn up the module. I used a test Light on #1. As I cranked the engine I found that I had no spark coming from #1 coil. So we changed out the coil pack. While we were in there we changed out the spark plugs with the same type. AC Delco with a gap of .027ish. Car ran great, drove around the the neighborhood. Next day had another problem with cooling fan ( found out that it has a low - med and high speed fan. Only had high all this time. Own the car for about 1-1/2 now. Who knew. Anyway replaced the fan. All good ) However before checking out the fan. Once I shut off the engine I here a sizzling noice and seen smoke coming from under the coil pack cover. Disconnected the battery just in case. Found out the the #1 coil burnt through the side of the coil pack. Local shop side to buy it from the dealer because they had problems with aftermarket ones. Well we went ahead and had the coil warranty out. Everything running good again. The next day the light came one and had injector and misfire codes. Got it home. Went to start and cranked but no start. Found No power to coil and injectors. Blown fuse for the injectors and coil. Coil pack was causing the fuse to blow. Pulled coil pack off. Found that the coil at #1 on the end was blown out big time. Looked at the OE coil More closely . Looked to have a small burn out on #1 also. The springs are all the same length. No corrosion on coil connector or at the computer. Got money back on coil and they said could be a bad batch of coils. Going to change out the #1 plug just in case it’s bad causing high resistance. On the next coil we put on I’m going to stretch the springs to make sure they are touching. However before we buy a new coil from the dealer does anyone have any input on this. As I’m sure the dealer wouldn’t warranty the coil out like o’Reilly’s did. Sorry so long but more information there is the easer it is to figure out. Thanks.
Yes I have 215,000miles on my 2011 1.4L use only OEM parts. So buy the OEM plugs and OEM coil. Becarful the plug lock on the coil plug is known to Break. If it does push and seat the plug. I rtv it so it won't back off or have it fix by competent person..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well
Yes I have 215,000miles on my 2011 1.4L use only OEM parts. So buy the OEM plugs and OEM coil. Becarful the plug lock on the coil plug is known to Break. If it does push and seat the plug. I rtv it so it won't back off or have it fix by competent person..
yes it did and we have been putting the rtv since the beginning. This last time with the new dealer coil, he zipped tied it also. Thanks. New update. Just was told that the new dealer coil blew again. So when I get home I’m going to change out the connector and start looking at grounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not good ! More than likely problem is at the connector or in that area. You might have a female socket that isn't right. You can order a pig take to replace the broken connector.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Not good ! More than likely problem is at the connector or in that area. You might have a female socket that isn't right. You can order a pig take to replace the broken connector.
I looked already and found one in stock at local parts store. So I will be picking it up along with another coil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
G112 is the ground for the coil if your
I looked already and found one in stock at local parts store. So I will be picking it up along with another coil.
You need a schematic and trouble shoot this before you waste money on blowing another coil. Can you post a picture of the blown out coil?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are all your plugs good , by that I mean none broken inside the insulator. If a plug isn't grounding that definitely wouldn't be good for the coils energy not being able to go to ground /spark. The secondary energy needs to be grounded/or making the jump .maybe the plug if it has been dropped has a unseen open that only reveals itself during heat . Yes I'm guessing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
G112 is the ground for the coil if your

You need a schematic and trouble shoot this before you waste money on blowing another coil. Can you post a picture of the blown out coil?
111C31DD-779A-48BE-8A5F-9F7EEEAABDA4.jpeg

the one on the right is the original one we changed out. After a few aftermarket coils burning out. He changed out with a coil from the dealer- the one on the left came from the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found something very interesting while tracing the wiring harness. Pretty sure I have found the short, I traced the light blue wire that's pinned on the computer right beside the coil pin, and I have found water inside the thermostat sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found something very interesting while tracing the wiring harness. Pretty sure I have found the short, I traced the light blue wire that's pinned on the computer right beside the coil pin, and I have found water inside the thermostat sensor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Any update on the new coil connector?
I get back working on it Wednesday night. I’m going to check short to power on the #1 coil wire as well as checking the grounds and connector at computer again. Once I look at all of it. I will let you know my findings. I will look at the pin in the coil connector also.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts