Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was chasing a loose spark plug issue, I noticed that the coil spring for #4 cylinder was corroded.

The coil itself looked like this (sorry for the poor picture, there's a lot of green corrosion on the bottom):

I am stumped how a coil could have corroded. The #4 spark plug was tight. Must be all the salt spray that happened this winter, as that corrosion was pretty aggressive and fresh.

The spring got cleaned up as best it could with sandpaper, and the coil with electrical contact cleaner. I'm searching locally for some DeOxIt or other stronger stuff to rid the coil of that gunk for good. Another plan once it warms up here is to pull the coil again and put dielectric grease on the other springs so they do not suffer any corrosion.

The car ran fine before cleaning. There was no indication of any corrosion. Idle was a bit smoother after, though.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
We may start to see some bad coil packs showing up.These things just tend to happen.Could even be a gas comeing from the coil when hot causeing it.You should have not cleaned it and they would have replaced the whole assembly under warranty.Keep a eye on it and when it returns get it replaced asap

Reactions: Merc6

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Sometimes I'm really glad I live in a dry climate. Corrosion isn't as likely to occur here.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Make sure you use dielectric silicon grease on both ends of the rubber boot.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd rather not take it in for warranty work when the chance of getting blown off is high.

My plan is to hit it with some DeOxIt, swish it around with a pipe cleaner to get the corrosion deep inside the coil, and call it a day.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Strange how I was just checking my plugs today and I saw a little corrosion just starting on the same cylinder on my 2012 eco...It is almost like all the other spark plug ports in the head are shiny except that one and that is the only one that has a little corrosion just starting even though i do use dielectric grease.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Is this corrosion something that's covered under the engine warranty?

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Nobody,

Damage or corrosion due to environment, chemical treatments, or aftermarket products are not covered.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2012 1.4 Turbo Cruze with 75 K miles on it , is at the dealership now getting the coil replaced because of spark plug corrosion(dealer's explanation) He said this is not part of the powertrain and therefore not covered under warranty. The dealer said it's part of the emissions

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Is this corrosion something that's covered under the engine warranty?
Nobody,

Damage or corrosion due to environment, chemical treatments, or aftermarket products are not covered.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Basically if you have never taken your coil pack out this is a "sealed" area and should be covered, but I would expect a fight with the dealer and possibly with GM to get it covered. If you have taken your coil pack out to regap or replace your spark plugs it won't be covered.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My 2012 1.4 Turbo Cruze with 75 K miles on it , is at the dealership now getting the coil replaced because of spark plug corrosion(dealer's explanation) He said this is not part of the powertrain and therefore not covered under warranty. The dealer said it's part of the emissions
And you're out of the Federally mandated 7 year/70,000 mile emissions warranty. :(

·
Banned
168 Posts
I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is happening because of water splashing up on top of the engine because of that hack job cut away they do to the plastic pan under the front fascia/engine because of the fire hazard from sloppy oil filter changes. My brand new 2013 Cruze was delivered to me with the hacked up pan instead of a new type of pan that maybe would have a drain hole in it for stray oil slops.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah not covered under warranty to the tune of 432.00. This is the first issue that I've had to pay for; the bad water pump was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Back when I worked at the dealership there was only a 5/50 emission warranty. We replaced many corroded cap/rotors/plug wires for miss-fires under warranty.

Reactions: Buteos

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Yeah not covered under warranty to the tune of 432.00. This is the first issue that I've had to pay for; the bad water pump was replaced under warranty.
If I have to do mine I'll purchase the part and install it myself. Did you keep the old part so you could scavenge for springs and boots?

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is happening because of water splashing up on top of the engine because of that hack job cut away they do to the plastic pan under the front fascia/engine because of the fire hazard from sloppy oil filter changes. My brand new 2013 Cruze was delivered to me with the hacked up pan instead of a new type of pan that maybe would have a drain hole in it for stray oil slops.
My Cruze has an intact shield. It's not the shield causing it.

Also, for most not too severe cases this can be fixed for under $30. DeOxIt (available at RadioShack for $11-18 depending if it's on sale), sandpaper, and a T-30 Torx bit are what's needed to clean the coil and spring. Clean the spring's corrosion with the sandpaper. Spray the DeOxIt into the affected boot, move the spring around several times to clean the coil, drain it out, repeat, then drain out and re-assemble.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey Buteos,

We're glad to hear that your dealer is working to get your Cruze back up and running, and that your emissions warranty will cover the repair. Hopefully you're back on the road already! If you ever have any concerns in the future, please feel free to reach out to us.

Amber N. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Amber - Buteos' repair was not covered.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would say look for a recall if this problem pops up in a number of vehicles.Which i suspect it may.I no they are replacing some 1.8 coil Assembly's and spark plugs under special policy or some type of recall.If anyone has to pay for the repair now save your receipt.You may be able to get your money back at a later date.As far as the cause of the corrosion its most likely caused by something being on something during the assembly process.Or something to do with the construction of a component.Plain and simple if enough of these come to light GM will most likely help the customer out.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 20 of 34 Posts