Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is to the people on full coilovers, I'm debating on whether or not to purchase spring and supporting shocks/struts or just buy coil overs. I drive roughly 25-30,000 miles a year and wondering what is going to have the best balance of performance and service life.

How many miles do you have on your sets?
(Please tell me the brand you have)
Have you felt a change in dampening over their service life?
Anyone that is on eibachs and bilstiens please chime in....

My biggest concern with coilovers is that can you buy just the replacement shock after its worn?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I was thinking about getting some but I think I'm just going to get the Eibach spring kit instead. 1/4 the price and only lowers it about an inch which is all I want. Just enough to look good with the wheels I have coming but not so much that it's impossible to drive here in MA

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@eddiefromcali might be interested in then if end up selling them... really on the fence about what is the best path as far as service replacement down the road.

B8 shocks and struts will run 6-700... every xxxxx miles... plus replacement will take longer...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I don't want a drastic drop either... getting to old for rattling teeth every 50ft.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah I don't want a drastic drop either... getting to old for rattling teeth every 50ft.
Cruze Culture sells a few different ones but the coilover sets all seem to have a minimum drop of about 2 inches or so. Coilovers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those God speed coilovers don't look bad for the price... koyo bearings, 16 pts dampening adjustment...

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
You should easily get the same service life as normal OEM grade suspension. Daily driving I’d say maybe 60k. What’s nice with quality coil overs like Bilstein B14 is they are rebuildable. So sure initial cost is a bit high at nearly 250 a corner but from then on should be the same as replacing a toss out acdelco or KYB strut.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
If you intend to sell the car why bother? It will not make a difference on resale value.

Average car owner doesn't rework suspension components.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
If you intend to sell the car why bother? It will not make a difference on resale value.

Average car owner doesn't rework suspension components.
agreed why would you dump cash into a car that’s being sold. I plan on keeping my car till it can’t run anymore so for me it’s a nice upgrade. Plus compliments the new tires very well.

most used cars have 75% worn suspension and a box full of new parts ready for you lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wasn't aware the B14s were rebuild able. Any idea on what a rebuild kit costs?

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
I wasn't aware the B14s were rebuild able. Any idea on what a rebuild kit costs?
This is the reason I went with them decisions wise. They can rebuild at factory years down the road and their tune is top notch so I trust their dampening settings. Not sure you’d have to call and ask. KONI quoted me like 100$ per corner if you send them in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's reasonable considering b8's are about 600 a set... so 400 or so would be reasonable... I wish ohlins made stuff for this car... love my triple adjustable on my R6. I wonder what the refurb involves? Rebuilt tons of motorcycle forks.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
That's reasonable considering b8's are about 600 a set... so 400 or so would be reasonable... I wish ohlins made stuff for this car... love my triple adjustable on my R6. I wonder what the refurb involves? Rebuilt tons of motorcycle forks.
Ohh I love ohlins on motorcycles. I wanted to get their rear shock for my FJR1300 but at the moment Cruze comes first lol. Any shop that does race suspension can do it. End of the day it’s all just rebuilding the wear components in the shock with new factory parts.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably just seals, polish the motion surface of the shock body, and charge the gas to the proper levels.
You'll love the Ohlins if you get one. I have Race tech springs and valving in my forks, but the shim stack was calculated by Jerry at Ohlins (buddies old AMA rep). Penske makes a decent rear shock too, had one on my F4i.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Probably just seals, polish the motion surface of the shock body, and charge the gas to the proper levels.
You'll love the Ohlins if you get one. I have Race tech springs and valving in my forks, but the shim stack was calculated by Jerry at Ohlins (buddies old AMA rep). Penske makes a decent rear shock too, had one on my F4i.
Penske is a good budget option with Fjr. But if I’m gonna spend the $$ may as well add the little extra for the best. I’m buying a mt10 next year and plan on looking down not ohlins since I do want to track day.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 99 r6 was built for that. GYTR cams, ig adv, NRC magnesium side covers, hindle full system, billet rear sets. I have a set of 2mm bigger carbs and crappy plastics, but it doesnt like to idle on them and I ride it on the street.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
My 99 r6 was built for that. GYTR cams, ig adv, NRC magnesium side covers, hindle full system, billet rear sets. I have a set of 2mm bigger carbs and crappy plastics, but it doesnt like to idle on them and I ride it on the street.
I’m a weekend track dude. Have some fun and use up the 95% new runner on the sides. Florida squares my tires so side rubber is always fresh.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What tires you run? I love Michelin 2CT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts