Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I took my 2012 Cruze to Crew Chevrolet in North Charleston SC on Monday. I made an appointment to have my tech nostalgia tail lights removed and in place put some Spyder LED tail lights. I specifically told them on the phone I was having after markets swapped out for another set of aftermarkets. After waiting 2 hours at the dealership Im told that the way my technostalgia tails were installed screwed up the wiring harness. However I informed him that a Chevrolet dealer is the one who installed them. Anyway he said he couldn’t do anything with them unless I buy two new wiring harnesses which they didn’t even have in stock and spent about 2 hours of labor totaling around $300 for the install.

Three days later I’m driving my Cruze from work on base and I notice my dash saying my “left rear turn signal lamp needs to be checked”. The dash turn signal is going at a faster rate then it usually would. I check the back left signal and it is also going at a much faster rate then normal. I then put the car in park and turn on my hazards and they work fine. No increase in the rate the dash is displaying and no increase in how they are lighting up in the rear.

So with this going on just a few days after I take it into the dealership, they tell me they can’t do it, then they spend another hourish “putting it back together”. I find this very odd and it would be a **** of a coincidence.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
In messing around back there, they probably dislodged/disconnected the load resistor for that turn signal. Since it's LED, it doesn't draw the current he BCM is expecting. So a resistor is needed to keep the car happy.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the first dealer did a real hack job and left a royal mess. I'm guessing the first set wasn't real plug-n-play.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In messing around back there, they probably dislodged/disconnected the load resistor for that turn signal. Since it's LED, it doesn't draw the current he BCM is expecting. So a resistor is needed to keep the car happy.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the first dealer did a real hack job and left a royal mess. I'm guessing the first set wasn't real plug-n-play.
Well when I bought them from Technostalgia I believe they were marketed as "plug and play", but that was 2+ years ago. I went in the rear and looked at the connectors and didn't see anything disconnected. I did go ahead and disconnect them and reconnect them just to make sure there was a good fit. Also undid the negative battery cable for just a few minutes. Nothing solved the issue. Im not sure if I should leave the battery unplugged longer or what.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm not sure where the resistor is. It might be internal to the tail lights. All I know is if you have LED turn signals, you'll need one somewhere. If it's not in the tail light, it's in the wiring somewhere. It may not be by the tail light, but somewhere in the trunk where there was more room to be adding things.

The message is supposed to warn you about a burnt out bulb. Once you replace the bulb, it goes away. It's not supposed to be a big production to reset it. But since LED lights draw so little current, it fools that sensor. So that's why the resistor is needed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure where the resistor is. It might be internal to the tail lights. All I know is if you have LED turn signals, you'll need one somewhere. If it's not in the tail light, it's in the wiring somewhere. It may not be by the tail light, but somewhere in the trunk where there was more room to be adding things.

The message is supposed to warn you about a burnt out bulb. Once you replace the bulb, it goes away. It's not supposed to be a big production to reset it. But since LED lights draw so little current, it fools that sensor. So that's why the resistor is needed.
But the resistor must be working because when I turn on the hazards I have no message pop up and the turn signal is operating normally. Only when I turn on my left turn signal it gives me a message and the leds are going at a faster rate.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
But the resistor must be working because when I turn on the hazards I have no message pop up and the turn signal is operating normally. Only when I turn on my left turn signal it gives me a message and the leds are going at a faster rate.
There has to be a resister on both sides. It's very possible the resistor on the right side is working and keeping the taillight out indicator from triggering. Also, I'm not positive the BCM even looks at the current draw when using the flashers.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There has to be a resister on both sides. It's very possible the resistor on the right side is working and keeping the taillight out indicator from triggering. Also, I'm not positive the BCM even looks at the current draw when using the flashers.
Ill go take photo of the wiring and maybe you could give me a push in the right direction

1 - 7 of 7 Posts