Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the disc bolt pattern is different 5x110 vs the Cruze 5x105.
What I would like to find out is, is the caliper mounting hole spacing the same?
I am OK with drilling custom holes for the disc mounting. But if the caliper mount
is going to be an issue, I will have to rethink the swap.
Any ideas or comments?
Thanks Rob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have purchased two calipers for the Cobalt. On Saturday I will bolt them up and check for fit. Mounting, centering and disc size. Pictures and a write up to come. I have the LTZ as well, so I'm hoping that this swap will go well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have purchased two calipers for the Cobalt. On Saturday I will bolt them up and check for fit. Mounting, centering and disc size. Pictures and a write up to come. I have the LTZ as well, so I'm hoping that this swap will go well.
Good luck...subscribed to stay up to date.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Subscribed. I'm looking for some better fronts. 12-12.5.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this swap would be a tough one. To start with the caliper mounting holes are not the same. Stock Cruze is 5.0" with the Brembo calipers at 4.875". The Brembo's have the right threads at 12mm so this is not a killer. Moving the trailing hole .125" or both holes .0625". That just starts the fun. So I bolt up the Brembo top bolt to check the centering on the stock Cruze disc. Nope, the caliper hits the disc on the outside edge. Next I put spacer between the mount and the caliper .155". That did it the disc is now in the opening, not quite centered. Using feeler gauges to check center I determine the spacer should be .14" Well and good so far. I had hoped to go with the Buick Encore rotor at 11.8" as the bolt pattern is the same at 5x105.5mm. With the Brembo caliper pots near the top of the caliper the extra .6" of the Cobalt rotor looks to be important. The Cobalt rotors have a 5x110 so they would have to be re-drilled to fit the stock hubs. But wait, the Cobalt rotors are .1" narrower than the Cruze. Pushing the Brembo's out to .24" with a spacer. Even with the .155" the wheels did not fit over, not enough offset. I guess that if you wanted to change the hubs and rims to the Cobalt's 5x110 you could make it easier. All in all there are just too many issues to make this a "good swap". Re-drilling the mounting, spacing the calipers with shims, getting a 5x105.5 rotor in 12.4" and shimming the wheel to go over it all. Back to Summit the calipers have gone. I was sad to see them go as they look great in the mock up. I will post some photos as promised.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Great work out and test for your skill set , I like how you thought things through with every challenge and looked at the available options .

Keep at IT ... you just might get that insight needed to accomplish a desired outcome of a good build ...

Reactions: Champagne Jam
1 - 8 of 8 Posts