Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Holden Cruze 1.6t
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I can't find a cold air intake to suit my 2015 Holden Cruze sri-v 1.6t they only have them for the 1.4 that I have seen, has anyone tried this to see if it fits or is it a no go ? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,152 Posts
He there, welcome to the forum :cool:

has anyone tried this to see if it fits or is it a no go ?
Well, I hope someone pops in with some information for you. However, I feel a warning is warranted. :censored:
Just like my 1.4L, your 1.6L already has a good cold air intake. If you were able to source an aftermarket intake, it would actually be a short ram intake they label as a CAI. Every aftermarket I have seen will deliver warmer air to the engine. Also, many of these aftermarket intakes will trip engine codes because the air flow past the MAF sensor is changed. IMHO the best thing that would come of installing a CAI is you will be out $300-400 and the car still runs the same with no CELs. I suggest getting a performance drop-in replacement air filter if you are looking for a bit more WOT flow.

·
Registered
2015 Holden Cruze 1.6t
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well, I hope someone pops in with some information for you. However, I feel a warning is warranted. :censored:
Just like my 1.4L, your 1.6L already has a good cold air intake. If you were able to source an aftermarket intake, it would actually be a short ram intake they label as a CAI. Every aftermarket I have seen will deliver warmer air to the engine. Also, many of these aftermarket intakes will trip engine codes because the air flow past the MAF sensor is changed. IMHO the best thing that would come of installing a CAI is you will be out $300-400 and the car still runs the same with no CELs. I suggest getting a performance drop-in replacement air filter if you are looking for a bit more WOT flow.
Thanks for the information mate I'm new to all this so I really appreciate your input

·
Registered
2015 Holden Cruze 1.6t
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just had a look at the K&n air filter what does it actually do ?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Well, those filters (just like the other performance filters) create less differential air pressure across the filter. And because of science, you get slightly better air flow to the engine. But really, there is only a small HP gain at wide open throttle. And by small, I mean the gain is normally masked by dyno static. However, nothing is free. Those type filters do a really bad job at filtering small particles from the air, leading to increased engine wear. I actually used K&N for many years with no issues, that said I will never use a performance air filter in a vehicle that isn't actually driving on a race track.

If what you are really trying to achieve is a faster car, invest your money in an engine tune. Because there is basically nothing to gain going down the intake rabbit hole. My problem is that I'm almost old. :ROFLMAO: Cold air intakes used to actually add performance to many vehicles, especially on vehicles made in the 80s and 90s. Because stock intakes were generally really bad. But the OEMs caught on, and I haven't seen a newer vehicle that has actually needed an aftermarket intake for over decade. So guess what, all those aftermarket companies want to keep the money rolling in.
For the few people that actually significantly modify their car they obviously need to update the intake at some point. But installing one on a stock (or near stock) car is like paying someone to sabotage your car.

·
Registered
2015 Holden Cruze 1.6t
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, those filters (just like the other performance filters) create less differential air pressure across the filter. And because of science, you get slightly better air flow to the engine. But really, there is only a small HP gain at wide open throttle. And by small, I mean the gain is normally masked by dyno static. However, nothing is free. Those type filters do a really bad job at filtering small particles from the air, leading to increased engine wear. I actually used K&N for many years with no issues, that said I will never use a performance air filter in a vehicle that isn't actually driving on a race track.

If what you are really trying to achieve is a faster car, invest your money in an engine tune. Because there is basically nothing to gain going down the intake rabbit hole. My problem is that I'm almost old. :ROFLMAO: Cold air intakes used to actually add performance to many vehicles, especially on vehicles made in the 80s and 90s. Because stock intakes were generally really bad. But the OEMs caught on, and I haven't seen a newer vehicle that has actually needed an aftermarket intake for over decade. So guess what, all those aftermarket companies want to keep the money rolling in.
For the few people that actually significantly modify their car they obviously need to update the intake at some point. But installing one on a stock (or near stock) car is like paying someone to sabotage your car.
Haha okay my man sounds good thanks again for your input, would you have any advice on a downpipe or exhaust system or do you think just try and get it tuned

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Well, I think a down pipe and/or exhaust would be 1000% better use of your money over an intake. The catch is you having the 1.6L, not many people mod or even talk about them here. So I'm not familiar with the weak points on them. That said, doing the exhaust work then getting it tuned would be a couple good first steps. With that, some tuners will offer a multiple tune or maybe life time tune for your car at a slightly higher cost. I would probably take that option because basically every mod needs a slightly tweaked tune to get the most out of it.

Just to maybe give you some ideas. For a 1.4L here is my idea of the best mods for the money. Get an aftermarket wastegate actuator, a flex fuel kit, 42 lb injectors, and an E-85 tune. I'd probably do it all the same day. ;) After that, a nice set of light rims with summer performance tires.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts