Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of last week, I've been in Oregon, where the weather is considerably colder than southern Arizona. The transmission seems to doing some weird things, possibly related to the temperature. For one, before things are warmed up, there is a surprising lag when it engages from the time I take my foot off the brake pedal (while the transmission is in Drive). If I don't liberately wait for it to engage and just hit the go pedal, it might be a little ugly.

The other issue I'm seeing is a more frequent, somewhat harsh engagement going from reverse to drive, especially pausing in neutral. I've seen that pretty intermittently since I bought the car back in August. It only does it going into drive, never reverse.

Also before it warms up fully, the shift timing seems erratic. It seems to hold off shifting longer, only in the lower gears. I'm talking like 2000-2700 rpm for the 2-3 shift. I'm thinking this is more related to shift logic than any problem with hard parts, but I'm no transmission mechanic.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles?

Maybe time for a transmission flush with some better ATF?
22,000 miles.

What's "better"? Is there a problem with the factory ATF, other than the fact it's priced like gold?
I know Amsoil's reputation is certainly solid, but I would like to see some technical validation of that. Or, for that matter, of any supposedly better oil.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
As of last week, I've been in Oregon, where the weather is considerably colder than southern Arizona. The transmission seems to doing some weird things, possibly related to the temperature. For one, before things are warmed up, there is a surprising lag when it engages from the time I take my foot off the brake pedal (while the transmission is in Drive). If I don't liberately wait for it to engage and just hit the go pedal, it might be a little ugly.

The other issue I'm seeing is a more frequent, somewhat harsh engagement going from reverse to drive, especially pausing in neutral. I've seen that pretty intermittently since I bought the car back in August. It only does it going into drive, never reverse.

Also before it warms up fully, the shift timing seems erratic. It seems to hold off shifting longer, only in the lower gears. I'm talking like 2000-2700 rpm for the 2-3 shift. I'm thinking this is more related to shift logic than any problem with hard parts, but I'm no transmission mechanic.
Thoughts?
All of this is normal. Mine does the same thing and other people who have posted their experiences here on the forum have similar things to say.

When you come to a stop, the transmission will go into a semi-neutral state. It's a fuel saving feature. You may have noticed the vehicle roll back on a hill when you start from a stop. It requires some time to re-engage when you take your foot off the brake before you accelerate. When it's warm you can typically accelerate right away as it re-engages rather quickly. However, as you have noticed, the cold weather adds a bit of a delay to this re-engagement.

As for shifting, the delayed or "jerky" feeling to the gears is also normal in cold weather until it warms up. It almost feels as if your car is a stick shift and a newbie driver is trying to shift it, lol. It'll rev up higher than normal, usually will hang there for a bit and then shift. Just remember to take your time with it and it'll get you where you need to go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would say that your car is fine. Mine has done some of this from time to time. Pretty much any car will drive and shift funny when they are cold. Fluids are thicker and there is a little more of a delay when it does things. As long as everything improves when it is up to temperature, I would say it is fine. At 22,000 miles you won't need a trans fluid change unless all that car has seen is wide open throttle in triple digits its whole life.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
It is normal for the transmission to shift slower, harsher and rev higher when cold. That being said at 42k miles, I have recently changed out my transmission fluid to AmsOil ATF and those cold related issues have improved. It has only been a week sofar but, I think it was well worth it.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
821 Posts
It's normal, I'm used to letting off the brake right before the light changes so I don't notice the delay much.

The cold weather behavior is normal as well until the transmission warms up.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I can chime in here too. I have definitely seen some strange behavior with my transmission in cold weather. The torque converter takes much longer to lock up and can give the impression that the transmission is slipping, when it really isn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.