Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was perusing GM's Techlink, I found this article in the August 2013 (Volume 15, No. 8) edition . . . this info has been previously published in the Tech Section > Service Issues of the main forum, but I think it bears repeating here (as I'm a new diesel owner and didn't know this stuff until Manny mentioned it the other day):

Common Cruze Diesel Noises

The 2014 Cruze equipped with the 2.0L 4-cylinder diesel engine (RPO LUZ) may exhibit some noises shortly after the vehicle has been turned off. There are several components that may produce noises, such as squeak, chirp, moan, whine or buzz noises, that may be heard after turning off the engine.

The following noises are considered normal operating characteristics of the vehicle:

• The Throttle Body/Throttle Valve may be heard cycling or sweeping after the engine is shut down. This may last about 15 seconds and may be heard cycling or sweeping 5–10 times. The throttle body performs a self cleaning followed by an offset learn procedure after the engine is shut off.

• The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve may be heard opening and closing after the engine is shut down. This may last about 15 seconds and may be heard about five times. The EGR valve is opening and closing to learn the position offset.

• The Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve Actuator may be heard cycling. This may last about five seconds. This is done as an integrity check and to confirm that the mechanical link between the actuator and the intake manifold runner is still connected.

• The Fuel Rail Pressure Control Valve may be heard making a whining noise. This may last about 15 seconds. The Fuel Rail Pressure Control Valve is pressurizing/controlling the flow of the fuel.

• The Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Pump and DEF Reverting Valve may be heard from the rear of the vehicle. This may last about 45 seconds. When the vehicle is turned off, the DEF pump and reverting valve operate to relieve the DEF system pressure and to clear the lines of DEF. The reverting valve is opened to relieve the pressure and send the fluid back to the DEF tank, and then the reverting valve is closed once the DEF lines are clear.

• The Air Conditioner (A/C) Compressor Electronic Control Valve may be heard making a whining noise. This may last about five minutes. The electronic control valve inside the air conditioner compressor may remain energized after the engine is shut down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The VW Common Rail TDI makes similar noises. The first time I heard mine after shutdown, I thought the car was possessed. :question: In fact, once or twice, I opened the hood before shutdown, and then ran around to watch the linkage move (interesting).

I noticed my Cruze TD did the same thing.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
• The Air Conditioner (A/C) Compressor Electronic Control Valve may be heard making a whining noise. This may last about five minutes. The electronic control valve inside the air conditioner compressor may remain energized after the engine is shut down.
This last sound applies to all Lordstown produced Cruzen. This is the whining noise that has generated numerous threads and posts here. We all have the same A/C system.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Very interesting! I like all the noises :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
One noise that is not mentioned after shut down is the coolant fan may stay on for a few minutes. This is normal also and since I live on top of a hill with a speed limit of 20 MPH the fan will come on and stay on after shut down for a few minutes. I have heard all the other noises that are mentioned and I have learned to know what they are and not panic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about on start up? I heard an odd noise when the car first started this morning

·
Registered
261 Posts
Greygoose , Did it sound like a valve Knock? on first cold start up...Normal on this car . I had a few people ask me on this . Diesel tend to have this Knock in some . My BMW Diesel does not do this and never has.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
What about on start up? I heard an odd noise when the car first started this morning
Mine makes sort of a whooshing/hissing noise when first started. Is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
261 Posts
That to is normal on this car. On a cold start up if your out side your car ,you might hear what sounds like a valve ping almost. Nature of this Diesel .

·
Registered
58 Posts
That to is normal on this car. On a cold start up if your out side your car ,you might hear what sounds like a valve ping almost. Nature of this Diesel .
Ok great. Just heard it this morning in the garage and was a little concerned. What is it that's making that noise?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
yes! That's it

I am curious what that is. Sounds like some sort of pressurized thing pumping up. Very easy to hear in a garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
noise

Okay, y'all may think I'm strange, but I hear a noise that sounds like a dog bark for a few seconds after I turn the car off coming from under the hood. I came on here to see if anyone else hears this before I start asking people if they hear it and they start thinking I'm a wacko.... somebody please tell me you also have heard this sound and tell me what it's coming from.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tammycruze2014
May be it's the voices in your head messing with you ? No ???? J/k clack clack ,Pop pop fizz fizz is normal on shut down and the noise not in your head is on par with this car .

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Okay, y'all may think I'm strange, but I hear a noise that sounds like a dog bark for a few seconds after I turn the car off coming from under the hood. I came on here to see if anyone else hears this before I start asking people if they hear it and they start thinking I'm a wacko.... somebody please tell me you also have heard this sound and tell me what it's coming from.
Yep. I have the same noise. 3 squeaks/barks/quacks in quick succession.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
By the way welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Mine makes sort of a whooshing/hissing noise when first started. Is this what you are talking about?
I got this once too. It sounds like boost being dumped via a pop-off valve. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I ran over a nail and popped a tire!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Without even turning the car on, if you just lock/unlock the car with the fob, there is a faint noise like a transformer or something that is energized for maybe 15 second or so after you press the button. Also, when I first got the car I popped the hood after I drove it. I got that boost dump that you were talking about, Danny5. I almost banged by head on the hood. Did not expect that! Definitely a high tech little machine we have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts