Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I finally got around to putting this together. Please post any corrections/additions below. I am going for common issues here, not things that just pop up once randomly.

Symptoms: Could be a DEF Quality poor message (P20EE) but usually a code (P21DD) for the DEF heater. Sometimes these messages are related to each other. The P21DD is more definitive.
Solution - DEF Tank Reservoir Heater – Replacement part number 23377881 (replaces 22978800). Update: In my case, it gave the DEF quality poor message but the CEL never actually lit up. You can also get a P20B9 code, but that usually only comes after one of the other codes or the def quality poor message have already reared their heads. There is an extended warranty on this 10years 120K miles. Note that it can take up to 100 miles after replacement for the error to clear!

Symptom: P0133 code (O2 sensor bank one slow response)
Solution: Most commonly there is a fuel trim update that can be done to prevent the sensor from getting sooted up in the first place. Sometimes it's not necessary to replace the sensor. You can get away with just cleaning it. Could also be caused by a few other things. Some have reported that issues with the EGR or EGR plate could cause this. Others have reported that loose intake clamps could cause this. (See post below for more details).

Symptom: Pop sound followed by loss of power, rough running, strong smell of diesel fumes, visible smoke. Check engine light may or may not appear. Note: So far this has only happened on cars with over 150K miles.
Solution: Most likely your intercooler pipe has cracked. Top, right, rear of the engine as you facing the car. Part number is 95472182 for the intercooler pipe. Some have reported this also causing damage to other related components, but only with extended driving in the broken condition.

Symptom: P20E4 code (Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 2/3 Correlation Bank 1)
Solution: Further diagnosis must be done to determine if it’s sensor number 2 or number 3 causing the issue. EGT3 Part number is 55581034 and EGT2 is 55581035

Symptom: Your car displays a message that says “DPF Full Keep Driving” (or something like that) followed by “Engine Power Reduced”. Most likely you have interrupted a “pre-regen”.
Solution: Unfortunately, you will need to go to the dealer for a manual DPF regen. See this post for how to prevent: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-gen1-diesel-technical-discussion/152937-pre-regen-diesel-owners-read-can-save-you-trip-dealer.html

Symptom: P11D7 NOx Sensor 2 Performance - Sensing Element Status Signal
Solution: Replacement of the NOx sensor, but sometimes the code will clear itself. This can also be caused by the exhaust flange bolt mentioned below. Some good info in post 46 here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-gen1-diesel-technical-discussion/36393-p11d7-code-5.html

Symptom: Any number of random codes
Solution: The exhaust flange bolts under the middle of the car are prone to corrosion and snapping off. Getting these replaced along with the gasket as a preventative measure is a good idea, mainly if you live in a northern climate where salt is used on the roads. Procedure to fix is here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/169-gen1-diesel-how-diy-library/172753-how-replace-exhaust-studs-scr.html

Symptom: Any number of random codes
Solution: A common issue is that the intake hose clamps work themselves loose over time (or come loose from the factory) allowing for unmetered air. Procedure to check is here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/169-gen1-diesel-how-diy-library/150146-how-check-diesel-intake-clamps.html

Symptom: Failure to start, any number of weird electrical gremlins, failure of transmission to shift out of 1st gear
Solution: Most likely, it's the battery. The factory battery only seems to last about 2 years in these cars. Another thing, if you've not had your negative battery cable replaced, do so. It's an extended warranty item up to 10 years, 120K miles. More about the cable is here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-gen1-service-issues/102769-special-coverage-14311-negative-battery-cable.html

Symptom: P11DC after the NOx Sensor 1 and reprogram emissions recall. The theory is that the parameters set in the ECU reprogramming are too tight and throw a P11DC code which isn't really a valid code. This can also cause DEF Quality Poor message. More info here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-gen1-diesel-general-discussion/185410-nox-emission-recall-poll-p11dc-please-post-only-thread.html
Update on the above - the recall has been recalled. More info here:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-gen1-diesel-general-discussion/190970-15594-emission-recall-nox-position-1-sensor-replacement-recall-suspended.html

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Good stuff, diesel. Thanks for sharing. You're totally blazing the trail for the rest of us CTD owners.

About that intercooler pipe. I've looked at that closely on mine. It appears to be a glued plastic assembly, and not a very sturdy one, either. I might consider replacing that at say, 100k. Seems like a cheap way to prevent hosing up the sensors downstream if it lets go.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Good thing I don't have any of that stuff of my car anymore to give me problems ����. Nice write up too
You removed the turbocharger and intercooler????

·
Registered
130 Posts
You removed the turbocharger and intercooler????
LOL

Minor discrepancy, my intercooler pipe broke/loosend? at 450 miles. Should add continued driving will cause DPF to plug up and eventually lead to engine shut down (I made it to dealer just in time, got those messages after 20miles of rolling coal down the interstate haha).

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,190 Posts
Worth mentioning that, as far as I know (based on mine and others' experiences), the NOx #2 code will not cause a countdown to speed limitation, or affect the vehicle's running in anyway. It's like a post-cat O2 sensor in a gas engine. It'll throw a code, but won't reduce power.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made some updates - please let me know if i missed anything.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you've got the same part number listed for both EGT2 and EGT3 in the P20E4 paragraph.
Oops, I see that now. Can you (or anybody) help me with the right p/n?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,190 Posts
Not totally sure which is which, but this is what Rock Auto shows.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will add an update that there is an issue with the part numbers until it gets sorted out.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,034 Posts
Not totally sure which is which, but this is what Rock Auto shows.
I will add an update that there is an issue with the part numbers until it gets sorted out.
If you go to the sensor number and location thread, it's been sorted out and those numbers are now correct. I had started that thread using the RockAuto catalog info mentioned above, after which we noticed the discrepancy between their part numbers and the ones on several dealer work orders for EGT3 (reversing the part numbers for EGT2 and EGT3). During a repair to his vehicle, Danny5 photographed the part number from his factory-installed EGT2 to verify the correct numbers, and I updated the post accordingly there.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-gen1-diesel-technical-discussion/130010-diesel-emissions-sensor-number-location.html

So... EGT3 is 55581034 and EGT2 is 55581035 - which means the RockAuto descriptions are either reversed or poorly worded. It's also a counter-intuitive conclusion, because GM's usual convention is for sensors with sequential part numbers, which correspond to sequential sensors in a system, to be numbered in parallel ascending order. (See, for example, the NOX sensors for our vehicle, where both the old pair of NOX sensors and the updated pair of NOX sensors follow this convention in their part numbering.)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I'll fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Added some more details about DEF Quality Poor messages

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a 2015 chevy cruze. It has had things like the NOX sensor replaced, DEF heater replaced, and DEF filter replaced. I was curious with all this already replaced are they likely to have problems or are they good once they've been replaced.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Correction to the nox 2 sensor statement. Mine not only shut me down but did it while traveling for Thanksgiving and on the weekend!!! I am still not completely calm about that bs.

1st it said problem with emmision system. Then it said check owners manual now. Then it started the countdown. 100 miles befor limited to 65. Then 50 miles to 55 then 50 miles to 5 mph. The code was nox sensor bank 1 #2. Dealer wanted $800 to fix and they were charging $400 for the sensor. They verified was indeed nox 2 nox 1 already replaced twice. I bought and installed so I know that is the 1 ordered and replaced. Unhooking battery and clearing with code scanner does not reset it so had to pay Dealer another $120. Just shows they did a manual regen

Interesting thing is for at least 2 years my mpg was low. In that 700 mile trip pre repair got 38 mpg almost all highway. After suddenly had much more power and on return got 52 mpg. Wonder if more was done than on receipt , maybe they updated the program??

So should nox 2 have been part of the recall? I think so

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am looking at purchasing a 2015 chevy cruze. It has had things like the NOX sensor replaced, DEF heater replaced, and DEF filter replaced. I was curious with all this already replaced are they likely to have problems or are they good once they've been replaced.
That is the year of my Chevy Cruze Diesel. If I had it all to do over again, I would NOT purchase a Chevy Cruze Diesel, again. As it is, I'm out of warranty, and out of luck, when it comes to all these **** emission sensors throwing CEL codes. Buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
You're not guaranteed to be free of issues again, but it's a fair bet to say it's unlikely. So long as revised parts have been used (not old stock) then it may be okay. I've had the EGR valve and DEF tank with heater replaced on my 2014 Diesel with revised parts in 2015 and 2016. I've had zero issues since then in terms of Diesel related concerns.

·
Registered
483 Posts
That is the year of my Chevy Cruze Diesel. If I had it all to do over again, I would NOT purchase a Chevy Cruze Diesel, again. As it is, I'm out of warranty, and out of luck, when it comes to all these **** emission sensors throwing CEL codes. Buyer beware.
Are you over 120K Miles? No, then you are still covered for the DEF Tank and probably the sensors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts