Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Cruze 1.4 turbo, 6 speed. I know there have been common issues with the cooling fan, specifically the resistor failing. Mine seems to fail within a year of replacement. I have been replacing them with a Dorman brand unit from O’Rielly (lifetime warranty, thank goodness). It is a pain to replace as many of you already know. When I get around to replacing the one that’s in there now, it will be the 4th time. Has anyone found a fix or dependable replacement part for this issue?

The next persistent issue is the coolant “disappearing” with no evidence of a leak (no coolant on the ground, no smoke from exhaust, no evidence of coolant in the oil, etc). Does anyone know if this has been figured out?

I has been a great car other than the issues listed above. Just crossed over 100k and is now my daughter’s daily driver (successfully taught a 16 y/o to drive a stick and she’s good! 😎)

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your replies.

Don

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,569 Posts
As for the fan, probably get an AC Delco brand, which likely isn't what you want to hear. Dormans replacements are cheaper for a reason.

I would check under the water outlet and thermostat for any coolant leaks. The water pumps are known to go out on these too and are covered under a TSB I will attach to this.

Also a cracked coolant reservoir tank can leak slowly.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
O'Reilly isn't the place to be going for parts.
Neither is pepboys.

They're made in Mexico with poor quality.
Most times the part isn't correct.

The answer to question. Has anyone found a fix yet. It's probably at autozone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I don’t have a problem paying a premium for a quality fan if it prevents me from having to replace it so often. As far as O’Rielly vs AutoZone, I don’t have a dog in the fight but I find that they both carry their own brands of “budget parts” but they can both get sold off the same “quality brands”. In my area, it seems like the people working the counter at O’Rielly know more about what they’re talking about than AutoZone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for the fan, probably get an AC Delco brand, which likely isn't what you want to hear. Dormans replacements are cheaper for a reason.

I would check under the water outlet and thermostat for any coolant leaks. The water pumps are known to go out on these too and are covered under a TSB I will attach to this.

Also a cracked coolant reservoir tank can leak slowly.
I also called O’Rielly and found out it was actually the Murray brands which I’m sure is equivalent to Dorman as far as quality goes. They will have to order the AC Delco at $250 (ouch) but that may be the route I go. Hopefully they hold up better.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,569 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check to feed line to the turbo for the coolant leak too. The curved hose under the silver heat wrap will start leaking under pressure.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Napa is good quality. But pricey.

When I wrenched. We had 3 vendors and the dealers. Some parts were dealer only items. Napa and autozone was second and third choices. Napa being last resort because of price.

Checker (now O'Reilly) was never an option.

Pepboys and others came along shortly after I retired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,569 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but does the turbo have a coolant line? I replaced the oil feed line recently.
Two, one for coolant, the other for oil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but does the turbo have a coolant line? I replaced the oil feed line recently.
Yep. Ive dealt with all the leaks you've described....they are all easy to repair.
The turbo coolant feed comes off the "spiderweb" of coolant lines on the left side of the engine. It would only leak under pressure, so it wasnt noticeable sitting in the driveway. I got the idea from this forum that it might be the problem, checked it and it was dripping.
Toughest part of the trans line replacement is fitting the hose retaining clips back into their holes properly. It requires small hands, LOL otherwise a good pair of needlenose pliers.
Your oil leak may simply be loose oil pan bolts. Retorque them all properly and see if it stops the leaks.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As far as I can tell, you have to change the entire fan assembly. I’ll have to take a closer look once I get the fan assembly out but I haven’t found anything in my research where anyone has been able to remove the fan from the assembly and replace. The only AC Delco unit I can find is fan and resistor only. I can only assume that it must be possible if they make that part by themselves. Has anyone swapped I the fan and kept the original assembly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep. Ive dealt with all the leaks you've described....they are all easy to repair.
The turbo coolant feed comes off the "spiderweb" of coolant lines on the left side of the engine. It would only leak under pressure, so it wasnt noticeable sitting in the driveway. I got the idea from this forum that it might be the problem, checked it and it was dripping.
Toughest part of the trans line replacement is fitting the hose retaining clips back into their holes properly. It requires small hands, LOL otherwise a good pair of needlenose pliers.
Your oil leak may simply be loose oil pan bolts. Retorque them all properly and see if it stops the leaks.
Good luck to you.
The only oil leak I have that I haven’t addressed yet is the valve cover. As mentioned before, I already replaced the turbo feed line with one that had the upgraded o-rings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts