Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a couple of other member have mentioned in other posts, the change in elevation within your commute can change your mileage numbers. If your curious on what yours is, here's what you can to do to figure it out.

1. Go to Google Maps
2. Input your start and end point
3. Get your directions
4. Click on the Link Icon to get the GPS data from the route.
5. Go here. GPS Visualizer profile input form
6. Paste the data into the URL field
7. Set your preferences for metric/us
8. Click on draw the profile and see what you come up with.

Post what your results are. I think it would be interesting to see what your daily commute is with elevation changes compared to mileage results.

No I don't live on top of Mt Washington. I thought it would be interesting to see the elevation map from the highest point in the Northeast to Sea Level.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's mine. My average highway numbers are @ 40.2 with 1600 miles on the car and running 89 octane.

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'll bookmark this site. That's a lot easier than tracing my route in my backpacking planning software (TOPO!) and running the elevation chart. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wow, this is awesome and explains a lot. I mapped out my commute to work but I've always noticed that I had a higher MPG average going home. Makes sense now that I see the the majority of my ride home is "downhill".

ElevationToWork.png

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,349 Posts
Ah, this was my old route to work. Fairly hilly, both ways.

Never taken the Cruze down that route, so I'm curious as to what it could do. Most roads were 45-55, but my car could rarely stay in its top gear, and wasted a lot of gas on the hills slipping the torque converter.

I did get 30 MPG one morning...and like 20 on the way back.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Uber cool! That explains why I get significantly better mileage going home :)

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem.I'm glad everyone is using it, I thought it was interesting too. I knew that my commute to work was downhill, but to see it plotted out was another thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts