Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BNR has been super busy lately finalizing everything on our E85/Flex Fuel conversion kits. These will be coming within the next month or so! :eusa_clap:

·
Registered
91 Posts
1. High-octane fuel for cheap

2. The possibility of making your own fuel from sugar.

3. Someday, the possibility of making your own fuel from leaves and cardboard.

4. A slight reduction in greenhouse gasses.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
1. High-octane fuel for cheap
This is the only real benefit, but it does save a ton of money while offering much better performance. Currently even with cheap gas prices the cheapest E85 in my area is 70 cents a gallon less than regular 87 octane E10 fuel. That's not the whole story however since octane wise its higher than any premium available, with a 94-96 minimum octane rating. Comparing to Premium gas prices, it saves $1.10 a gallon!!! Even if you MPG drops significantly, you still come out ahead when you save $15+ extra cash every tank.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I'd say 94-96 octane is a little conservative. 100-105 and even as high as 108, have been quoted. I used to have no problem running 40psi of boost on my 4G63 motors with E85.

Huge benefit and cost savings over full race fuel.

1. It's widely sold, at the pump. Especially in California.

2. It's about $4-$6 a gallon cheaper than race gas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm assuming both cats are deleted? AFR at the tailpipe is going to be different than AFR measured via WBO2 in the downpipe.

·
Vendor
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm assuming both cats are deleted? AFR at the tailpipe is going to be different than AFR measured via WBO2 in the downpipe.

Both cats are still installed, and AFR at the tailpipe was exactly what the ECM was commanding. I know it can be off, but we did a lot of testing and comparison, and I can assure you it's accurate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With Flex fuel, should be able to run more boost as it is a colder fuel fuel which means more performance.

Cheaper to buy fuel, more performance - equals a win, win situation.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Remember I said minimum octane rating. E85 can be sold as low as a E70, which is the winter blend here.
Ah, you did say minimum. I see that, now. It's all downhill after 40.

·
Registered
625 Posts
How will this work with us tuned guys? Well we have to be going back and forth with trifecta to get it right or is it a kinda plug and play?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Still have a lot to learn, when I inadvertently put E10 in my Supra, for awhile, this is all I could buy. The fuel pump, sender, fuel filter, regulator, and the injectors all had to be replaced.

Son purchased a flex fuel vehicle for E85, his cost per mile was greater than ethanol free 91 octane fuel, but not interested in drag racing, just cost per mile hauling my grandkids around.

Since ethanol came around, the cost of diary and meat products skyrocketed, somewhere, missing the boat on this issue.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
How will this work with us tuned guys? Well we have to be going back and forth with trifecta to get it right or is it a kinda plug and play?
The sensor, in the picture, meters fuel and reads the fuel mixture. The tune automatically adjusts to the ethanol content. You will, however, need an updated tune to make the initial function work. Not sure how or if he's selling the kits for the Trifecta tuned guys, at first, since someone else tunes the trifecta tunes. But they will be immediately available (upon release) for the Efi Live tuned vehicles, such as myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Both cats are still installed, and AFR at the tailpipe was exactly what the ECM was commanding. I know it can be off, but we did a lot of testing and comparison, and I can assure you it's accurate.
The sole purpose of a converter is to alter the AFR to reach the stoich ratio whether it be gasoline or E85. Unless your cats are completely defective, which I highly doubt being a newer car, the reading at the tailpipe will be different. Why go to all this effort to convert to E85 and tune from an inaccurate value?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I had a rental Taurus with the flex fuel option. I ran one tank regular fuel and the other on E85 running down the highway. When you figured in the cost per mile, it was actually cheaper running plain old gasoline.

·
Vendor
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The sole purpose of a converter is to alter the AFR to reach the stoich ratio whether it be gasoline or E85. Unless your cats are completely defective, which I highly doubt being a newer car, the reading at the tailpipe will be different. Why go to all this effort to convert to E85 and tune from an inaccurate value?

That's not what catalytic converters are for at all. And I've tested my same car with and without catalytic converters, I assure you, they have no effect on AFR.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If the sole purpose of the converter was to change then afr then why is the wideband 02 installed before it? Converters are there to do just that, convert gasses into less harmful gasses for the environment. Take a little read if you will, http://www.explainthatstuff.com/catalyticconverters.html better explanes how this works. As for afr your primary 02 in modern cars (most fuel injected vehicles) the primary 02 sensor(s) are factory wideband afr sensors that are constantly measuring the afr and making adjustments as needed. Do a little more reading. Youd be enlightened by what you may find.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I had a rental Taurus with the flex fuel option. I ran one tank regular fuel and the other on E85 running down the highway. When you figured in the cost per mile, it was actually cheaper running plain old gasoline.
This can be true for many flex fuel especially if your comparing to normal 87 octane E10 gas sold everywhere to E85, not as much savings as comparing to premium gas. However with a tune to utilize the E85 for its higher octane, its would be more accurate to compare cost/performance vs premium fuel.

Flex fuel technology has come along way in the last few years, a stock flexfuel 2014+ Silverado 1500 with the 4.3L ecotec3 v6 gains 12HP and 25lb-ft of torque on E85, the 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 gains 25hp and 33lb-ft of torque. More performance and cheaper fuel, sounds like a win to me.

EDIT: I should also add E85 prices can vary significantly. I have seen a few stations where E85 is only 10 cents less than regular 87 octane gas, on the same day seen another station it's a dollar less a gallon. This website below is great for finding cheap E85. http://www.e85prices.com/

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is their any chance that those of us that already have the E85 tune and sensor could just buy the fuel line and sensor harness shown in the pic?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts