Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning i got in my cruze 1.4 turbo and drove it to school. like normal i checked the engine temp and tire pressure. according to the computer i had 32 psi in the front and 33 in the rears. I had started at 35 in front and 36 in the rear. so i was concerned but thought with the recent cold maybe the pressure could change. took it to a gas station to fill them up, but this is the weird part... my tires were at 35 and 36, but even after putting a quick shot of air in the tires my computer still reads 33 in the front and 34 in the rear. is it normal for the computer to be that far off?

i have no other issues minus a fault gauge from glow-shift, which i have yet to send back, kind of hard to uninstall the entire system. gas milage is down but thats because i live on a 9% grade hill, hard to not lose gas economy

·
Administrator
15,754 Posts
this morning i got in my cruze 1.4 turbo and drove it to school. like normal i checked the engine temp and tire pressure. according to the computer i had 32 psi in the front and 33 in the rears. I had started at 35 in front and 36 in the rear. so i was concerned but thought with the recent cold maybe the pressure could change. took it to a gas station to fill them up, but this is the weird part... my tires were at 35 and 36, but even after putting a quick shot of air in the tires my computer still reads 33 in the front and 34 in the rear. is it normal for the computer to be that far off?

i have no other issues minus a fault gauge from glow-shift, which i have yet to send back, kind of hard to uninstall the entire system. gas milage is down but thats because i live on a 9% grade hill, hard to not lose gas economy
Keep in mind, it is rather difficult to find an accurate tire pressure gauge. The ones at gas stations are very often poorly calibrated, and even some that I've bought at the store are rather inaccurate. The TPMS sensors I've discovered are pretty close.

A temperature change will have a significant effect on tire pressure. You will also lose about 1-2psi of air in your tires every month, depending on your pressure. Depending on how good the pump you're using is, it make take quit a while to put a decent amount of air in your tires.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Different air pressure gauges may read different pressures. I wonder if the gas station's guage is set a little high to keep people from overinflating their tires. I would trust TPMS sensors before the guage at a gas station.

·
Registered
170 Posts
See I think my TPMS is -3 to 4 PSI. I have tried to different gauges, one electronic and one the old school manual and they are within a pound of each other but still 3 to 4 higher than the DIC. I more or less just use the TPMS to make sure I dont have any leaks.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,461 Posts
Mine's right on par with the dial gauge in my hand. Just filled my tires up the other day.

I see you're in Colorado...your high elevation may make a difference with one or the other. I'm pretty much at sea level.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'm in Denver and it doesn't make a difference for me. I have three different air pumps and all show something different from the TPMS in my ECO MT. The worst one of the bunch happens to be the one that shipped with my ECO MT.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,461 Posts
Air pump gauges are generally off - mine was a good 7 PSI low. It was some cheap Chinese piece of crap I picked up at Walmart, and burned out trying to add a measly 8 psi to a tire.

Do you have an actual tire gauge to compare it to?

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
The TPMS was showing 33 PIS on mine. Gas station was showing 40 PSI and I bought a gauge which also showed 40 PSI. I like to keep the TPMS reading about 40 PSI regardless of what the gauges say. I figure it leaves enough room for error (especially now that I read the post form xtreme and his 50PSI tires)

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I've noticed that the air pump at the gas station is about 2lbs over what this old Blue Point analog air gauge I have is reading. Typically the TPMS readings are pretty accurate next to the readings I get from my Blue Point gauge.

·
Registered
467 Posts
See I think my TPMS is -3 to 4 PSI. I have tried to different gauges, one electronic and one the old school manual and they are within a pound of each other but still 3 to 4 higher than the DIC.
I see the same thing on my car. I filled my tires to 40PSI on my pump and verified with a hand gauge. TPMS system showed 36, so I dug out a couple other gauges, all showed 39 or 40.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Gas station gauges are never to be trusted. Buy a gauge, preferably electronic, and use it.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no i dont trust the gas station gauge, i carry my own electronical one. that was saying 35-36 the computer was saying 33

1 - 12 of 12 Posts