Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I went in to my local dealership to have a transmission flush performed. Upon arriving, right when I pulled into the service department entrance there was a wheel alignment checking machine literally right Infront of the service advisors desk. They were doing free complimentary alignment checks right Infront of customers. I thought it was pretty cool and agreed to let them check it. All specs came back in green except for front toe. From what I've gathered on here, front toe is the only specification that can be adjusted and this is done via the tie rod adjustment correct. If that is the case then, why were there adjustments done to the back toe as well when I revived my paper work back? I thought this wasn't able to be done. Am I wrong? Also, why did I get 2 alignment papers back? I have posted images of the papers that reveal both the front and rear toe adjustments. I also though on the paper work the "initial" numbers means what it is when they checked it and then the "final" is after the adjustment. If that is the case, why do I have two papers? One says before written in hand writing by the service advisor and the other days after also written in ink by her. What it seems to be to me is that the alignment was done twice or two papers happened to be printed up 3 min apart from each other but with major differences in final rear and front toe on each. Can someone please explain what is going on here?

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Just kidding...

I know enough to get by on alignment but I haven't a clue why they did what they did for 0.2 total toe except take your money.

Anytime I see free - a light goes off in my head that says nothing is free.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
According to the specs range on the sheets, your front toe was out of spec before adjustment, and was adjusted to within spec.

Rear toe was within spec before and after adjustment, so that is irrelevant.

They performed a wheel alignment, and charged you for one wheel alignment. Is there still an issue that I don't see?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they did do te hunter alignment check right Infront of me. I saw it print out and everything during the initial check (I don't have that paper to show), and it was showing the front toe in the red, so it indeed needed to be done. Plus you can clearly see both left and right toe was way out of spec. Total toe is just a balance between both toes on the same axle, meaning you can have completely different independent toes, but they can balance out and have the total toe the same or close. So I wouldn't say they didn't do anything just because that number didn't move much, because it's just a numerical difference between the two toes combined. What's te main concern is the actual independent toes. I know they did everything correctly and I almost immediately felt the difference. The steering and over all travel down the road is wicked. Felt just as good as when I first bought it. I just didn't understand why the rear was adjusted when that isn't something that that could be done on these cars. But as mentioned it is still within spec regardless.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it does seem like I'm pretty much concerned over nothing but idk I get paranoid our I guess when my car gets services because I know no one treats a car better than its owner. I just simply don't have the tools to do my own maintenance at the moment.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
so you are concerned about the .1 degree delta from measure one to measurement two? That is about 20 thousand of an inch per foot.

This could have been caused by the following things;

movement of the car when conducting the adjustment,

maybe the slightest of play in the wheel bearing could have translated into that.

Brake drum to hub to wheel interface, but likely solid if torqued correctly.

Assuming that they keep the instruments attached to the wheels between the two tests, the slightest bump on it may have shifted the placement of the alignment tool on the wheel.

or they actually removed and replaced in a different location on the rim, or cleaned some dirt.

I am confident that they would have checked for play but many not have measured it, and may even have checked lug nut torques, and was thorough in cleaning and inspecting the rims.

Suspect that your delta is benign, as suggested above, as both measurements are within spec. I know I have watched techs install the instruments to the wheel and the good ones will look for measurable play as they try to move each wheel on the three different axis before they even attempt a measurement and adjustment.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Did you ask them when their alignment rack was last calibrated?

That's my first question when contemplating an alignment.

BTW Hunter is the best rack IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts