Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking change the license plate lamps to LEDs today and when I went to remove the clear lamp covers, I noticed that BOTH covers had condensation behind them.

I haven't removed them yet, decided to wait until I go to the dealer on Tuesday for an oil change and have them look at it (because I'm still under warranty).

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of the cause and/or a fix?

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I also had this happen over the winter but only on one bulb housing. A little corrosion and rust buildup nothing major. I just cleaned it up and tightened it all and havent had the problem since.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The screws themselves aren't rusted, but there is a considerable amount of moisture in there. I've thought about taking them off and putting some sealant around the cover and screws and then replacing them, but not sure if that's even the source.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Yeah my trunk button rarely works anymore I have to use the fob. I also wash the car everyday so im assuming this has had an effect on the trunk button not working properly. Like I said I cleaned up the light bulb housing the tightened things up and havent seen any moisture or corrosion since.

·
10,713 Posts
There is a new button out there but at times it stops working as well. If I unlock the car it works, if I let the car stay unlocked and try it later it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The trunk switch and those lights are ordered as one piece from what I have seen. Looking that the original(failed) switch on my car you can see that two corners of the rubber switch are not sealed and allow moisture inside. I suspect this is how water is getting into the lamp housing & is how at least some of these switches are failing.

I'm not going to repair mine, everything in my trunk is more secure with only the keyfob to open it.

·
10,713 Posts
The trunk switch and those lights are ordered as one piece from what I have seen. Looking that the original(failed) switch on my car you can see that two corners of the rubber switch are not sealed and allow moisture inside. I suspect this is how water is getting into the lamp housing & is how at least some of these switches are failing.

I'm not going to repair mine, everything in my trunk is more secure with only the keyfob to open it.
That explains why I lost my vinyl over the chrome strip. I ended up Plastidipping it this time around.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
There is a new button out there but at times it stops working as well. If I unlock the car it works, if I let the car stay unlocked and try it later it doesn't.
If you notice, all electrical shuts down after ten minutes.
The trunk button is on that circuit so it goes to 'sleep' as well.

I think, if the situation occurs again, the first push 'wakes' the electrical system then a second push should open the trunk.....haven't tried it myself though.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts