Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lame ass Confederate Flag was just finally removed from the SC State House grounds. It was erected in 1962 by the racist legislature as a protest of the Civil Rights Act and was supposed to be removed in 1966. It was totally hilarious to watch the macho honor guard guys staring intently into each others eyes and taking baby steps during the ceremony. Check it out!!!

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
The lame ass Confederate Flag was just finally removed from the SC State House grounds. It was erected in 1962 by the racist legislature as a protest of the Civil Rights Act and was supposed to be removed in 1966. It was totally hilarious to watch the macho honor guard guys staring intently into each others eyes and taking baby steps during the ceremony. Check it out!!!
You comments are offensive at best. I also believe the flag should have been removed. However dissing a flag of heritage is uncalled for.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you see a flag as being racist and needs to be taken down then you have other issues. That flag was the battle flag of the rebels. Soldiers died under that flag. Family members died under that flag. Its not a flag that symbolizes racism. Its a flag that symbolizes that people took a stand for what they believe is right. Just like our own Stars and Stripes. Which, if I need to remind you is a treasonous flag in itself. We need to get past looking at things as racist and start looking at the people who are breeding racism. Look at Obama, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson. Those are the people who breed hatred and racism. They preach equality and peace, while they say that everyone is against the black man. **** that noise. I am racist towards every ******* race out there. I dont give a good God **** if you are white, black, yellow, purple, or pink. If you are respectful towards me I will give you respect back. If you wanna act like an asshat towards me then that is how I treat you.

As far as calling it hilarious to watch the "macho honor guard" remove the flag, I suppose it is hilarious for you that there is an honor guard that guards the tomb of the unknown.

People now days make me sick. Everyone is turning into such pussies and being offended by everything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm more angry that they're trying to keep Confederate flags away from the graves of fallen Confederate soldiers that happen to be buried in federal cemeteries. Regardless of what the flag means to anyone, those men fought for that cause, and are recognised as veterans by the US government, even to the point that Confederate military pensions were paid out by the US government after the war. (I know, because people I am descendant from collected those pensions) To not allow families of fallen vets to put the flag that said vet fought under over their grave based on where they happen to be buried is insulting at best.

To sum this up, I'll include a quote attributed to William Wallace, regardless of who actually said it, the quote is still applicable and true.

“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevents their history, and denies them their symbols, has sewn the seed of its own destruction.”—Sir William Wallace, 1281

Added text on Edit: I know this thread is really about that one flag, but the removal of the battle flags from the graves is an ongoing debate, The removal of the battle flag from the monument on capital grounds is over now, but the problem I addressed is an ongoing issue that I doubt anyone viewing that flag as a flag of racism will even remotely care about, but I had to speak my piece.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
I can see where removing the Confederate Flag from the capital building is appropriate - it's neither the US nor the South Carolina flag and doesn't belong. It should, however, still be allowed on the graves of Confederate soldiers, even on Federal property, and in private hands. The flag is part of the South's cultural heritage. It just doesn't belong over a capital.

·
Registered
574 Posts
But why did TV land stop the dukes of hazards? Just becauseof this flag on the car? The duke boys were never racist nor the show. The onlything this show showed me was to out run cops & jump things J & women look goodin cutoff jeans IMO this whole flag being racist thing is out of control &just being a propaganda tool for the media.
PS they won’t sell the toy general lee car anymore becauseof this nonsense.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Do you think that our government today isnt evil? Do you think that our government today isnt perverted or extorting the citizens?
I say yes on this question it’s called TAXES. They aretaxing me to near death L

PS I’m not the only one in this tax us to death scheme
All hail taxacuttes

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
We could go for days on this (we already have....on another thread).

The flag was removed with respect and it will be displayed in a museum that respects that time in our history as a young nation.

The flag causes many people pain as it represents troubling times to them.......not much different than the swastica causes pain for an entire society.....but it too is found in museums to help provide a history lesson.

It isn't fair to fly either over a public owned entity.....and frankly, I don't think it ever should have been flown over a public owned facility.

However, to those who wish to fly it, as a memory to those who believed in the cause, or for whatever reason, they should proudly do so.....that is their right.

Over the years of seeing it flown, I've never given it much thought......however, This young man who decided to kill people in a church, using the flag and its history as his impetuous, did make me question why it is still flown over certain state facilities.
He goes down in history as a murderer and guy who polarized a nation against flying a flag.....should look good on his gravestone.

Direct your anger at that individual for the wakeup.

Rob

·
Registered
251 Posts
I want to know if there would have been so much uproar if it was the other way around. Say a black man shooting up a "white" church and stating that the Black Panthers were the reason he did it. Would we go out and ban anything that had to deal with the Black Panthers? Or what if it was a Mexican that did it? Would we ban the Mexican flag from being flown anywhere? Would we say deport all of the Mexicans? How many people have been killed by other races or people of other religions and we barely hear anything about it? If its white on black we hear about it. Are whites the only ones who have the ability to be racist?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I want to know if there would have been so much uproar if it was the other way around. Say a black man shooting up a "white" church and stating that the Black Panthers were the reason he did it. Would we go out and ban anything that had to deal with the Black Panthers? Or what if it was a Mexican that did it? Would we ban the Mexican flag from being flown anywhere? Would we say deport all of the Mexicans? How many people have been killed by other races or people of other religions and we barely hear anything about it? If its white on black we hear about it. Are whites the only ones who have the ability to be racist?
I see your point however the black panther flag is not flown on a gov building. If it was the other way around we wouldnt even be talking about this. Sad but true, its actually a paradox since this is a clear example of prejudice since if it was flipped nothing had happened. Seeing it in job hiring selection, lateral movement and benefit qualification. None the less I do not want this to detract from whats going on. I think it was the right move to pull down from flying it over a govt building. But never to abolish, eradicate or criminalize it... ever.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I see your point however the black panther flag is not flown on a gov building. If it was the other way around we wouldnt even be talking about this. Sad but true, its actually a paradox since this is a clear example of prejudice since if it was flipped nothing had happened. Seeing it in job hiring selection, lateral movement and benefit qualification. None the less I do not want this to detract from whats going on. I think it was the right move to pull down from flying it over a govt building. But never to abolish, eradicate or criminalize it... ever.
There are states that fly the Stars and Bars as part of their flag itself. Should they change their flag because of all of this?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
There are states that fly the Stars and Bars as part of their flag itself. Should they change their flag because of all of this?
Not because of what happened but because georgia and mississippi have that on there flags in representation of segregation after the court case Brown vs Board of ed.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
I have deleted the two posts comparing the Confederate Flag to Nazism. The fundamental backgrounds of the two issues are so different that there is no comparison. The next person who raises Nazism, Hitler, etc. in this thread will receive a vacation from R&P.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't worry obermd. I'll give myself a vacation from R&P. You're fortunate to live in Denver so you do not have to deal with the racist culture that continues to cause South Carolina to have a low quality of life and high rates of poverty, crime, and disease.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't worry obermd. I'll give myself a vacation from R&P. You're fortunate to live in Denver so you do not have to deal with the racist culture that continues to cause South Carolina to have a low quality of life and high rates of poverty, crime, and disease.
Couple of objections to that statement, I seriously doubt that one area in the states has a higher rate of racism than another, I'm pretty sure it's just pointed out more in the south because of the history of slavery etc. Furthermore, I fail to see how disease would be higher in an area with a higher concentration of racist. And to tie all of this back in to the whole civil war/watch out, the confederate flag is gonna get ya theme of this whole thread, Abe Lincoln was a racist. Think about the following quote the next time you think about how evil and racist the south is. Lincoln was born and raised in Illinois, pretty much the opposite of the evil south

"I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races; that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, or intermarry with the white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race." Abraham Lincoln, Excerpt from Page 444. Lincoln, Abraham. 1897. Political Debates Between Lincoln and Douglas

Edited for alignment issue. Yes, I wanted the post to look pretty.:tongue:

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Racism goes both ways my friend I grew up in inner city Baltimore like west side. If you are unfamiliar with it watch "The Wire" they were frequently in my hood. To give you an example my teachers would call me snowball, saltine, mayonase etc. If that were to be flipped The teacher would go to jail. I would get jumped almost everyday for no reason at all. The whole time I thought this was normal. Try going on a res and see how you are treated. Natives that live on res' dont take kindly to ya. I did missionary work in South Dakota while repairing peoples houses churches and cars I had bottles thrown at me, threats etc. Luckily I was condition to not let it phase me since I had such heavy experience with this back home.

Racism is everywhere its your choice to participate or help stop it. Unfortunetly it isnt just here its everywhere and its part of human nature to dislike what you dont understand. Every Country deals with this. I believe the more we perpetuiate this the longer it will take to subside. I will never go away but we can calm it down.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts