Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I for one honestly can't believe the confederate flag is being blamed for hatred.
What kind of pure insanity is going to sweep across this once great nation next?

Click on this
liberal-logic-101-54[1].jpg

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
People will be offended by anything. Willfully. It is sickening. We have freedom of speech...unless it offends someone. People are buying into the media narrative hook, line, and sinker.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
The confederate flag is one of the few flags of "conquered" nations still flown over capitals. The South did indeed declare independence from the North so those states do qualify as "conquered". In most countries, once you're conquered one of the first things to go is your flag.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
It is the attitude of the Rebel that sets the stage for this historic American Flag and not the symbol itself .. These Flags belong inside Museums in this day and age .

There are more and more citizens that choose to exibit good taste and desire that the mentality of these hateful and insightfull peoples would keep they're ideologies in their proper place of rest .
We need to accept that the opinion although deplorable can actually be of value to ones continued growth along a given path of life and this symbol has outgrown IT'S usefullness and only brings upon itself a feeling of FEAR .

To you Rebels BURN your flags and support a positive cause that generates acceptance and tolerance !

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I grew up seeing that flag everyday. Before 2001 or so, the Georgia State Flag was about 3/4ths Confederate battle flag- 1/4th blue field w/ state seal

It was humorous to me. I would see this seditious, treasonous flag right next to Old Glory while we said the Pledge of Allegiance.
I have heard a few people claim the confederate flag honors the patriotism of their ancestors, have always felt flying the confederate flag is the least patriotic thing one could do, I mean the south was fighting against the US during the civil war.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I have heard a few people claim the confederate flag honors the patriotism of their ancestors, have always felt flying the confederate flag is the least patriotic thing one could do, I mean the south was fighting against the US during the civil war.
Well that so called claim would be incorrect .
The civil war was and is about Greed and the commonly practiced Deprevation of a class of Human beings to eliminate the need for costs of labor plain and simple ...

Historical Fact has shown that it is and was the Muslim Peoples whom instituted the practice of Slavery as far as any and all Historical Rhelics that have been uncovered by Archeologists ..

There still remains the acts by these so called Southern Patriots that has given Modern Man Pause and Reflection to these Elaborate displays of Self Righteousness that we Deplore !

I Hope this EDUCATES YOU !

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
The confederate flag is one of the few flags of "conquered" nations still flown over capitals. The South did indeed declare independence from the North so those states do qualify as "conquered". In most countries, once you're conquered one of the first things to go is your flag.
True, but the current "Confederate flag" was the "battle flag by the Army of Northern Virginia under General Lee" - it was never the flag of the entire South. As such, it's entirely appropriate for a certain popular car bearing the General's name, but questionable in other places - such as state capitals.

I'm waiting for the first kid to show up with "confederate flag" shirt to school. At some point it becomes a freedom of speech issue, so I don't think it can ever be banned - any more than the Nazi swastika, Japanese "rising sun", or Satanic symbols are banned in this country. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be removed from government property.

Personally, I don't buy into the whole argument that it's a symbol of hate. I believe it's flown as a symbol of culture. Unfortunately, it is a flag born of war. War primarily over the issue of slavery. The South really needs to find a new symbol for itself.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Honestly, I can see their point. The flag is completely pointless to anyone except a few toothless southern redenecks who haven't evolved over the past 150 years. And flying it at the capitol is a bit dated to say the least. Should we still fly the 13 colonies flag? I mean...exactly what is the point of this flag in 2015?

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Honestly, I can see their point. The flag is completely pointless to anyone except a few toothless southern redenecks who haven't evolved over the past 150 years. And flying it at the capitol is a bit dated to say the least. Should we still fly the 13 colonies flag? I mean...exactly what is the point of this flag in 2015?
Why does there have to be a point or purpose to it at all?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I was more to the point of this flag being flown at state capitols or public offices. There is no reason or point to fly this thing at a public office. Privately, fly anything you like...no problem there. But the flag itself is pretty meaningless to be honest. Looks cool, I give you that. But flying this flag anywhere but on private property is pretty tweaked.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
This is the kind of flag I put on my boat, don't ask me why, don't know, but this is what all or most boaters use.

Ironically, the writers of the US Constitution were salve owners, left that part out of the constitution. And also ironically, we were never one country, had 13 colonies, each with its own government, and those politicians didn't want to give this up. Today we have 50 different countries with 50 different sets of laws. Well they call them states, but again, just a word.

To be a salve owner was to be filthy rich, most of the whites were practically salves that fought the war, and was the war about slavery or about these states succeeding from the union? Union means staying together, but that name stuck with the north.

One difference I have noted in the last 50 years, use to be a Yankee, now I am a snowbird.

Segregation? Ha, was always much worse in the north than ever in the south. But we kept quiet about it.

About words, my assigned roommate was colored, we weren't permitted to use that "black" word back then. And its not what words you use, but how you used them. We were good friends, walk in the room, how is it going, W-word, fine my N-word buddy, how about you? Always looked at that N-word as being a nickname for Negro.

We could be good friends on base, but forget about going to town, the idiots. Extremely intelligent fellow, but did manage to get transferred up north. Not the race, but the people that are assholes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Segregation? Ha, was always much worse in the north than ever in the south. But we kept quiet about it.
It was pretty unexpected. My father's mother is from New Hampshire, but the rest of everyone else has been in the south as long as there has been a south. I have always been told how racist we were.
The racism and segregation is different in Massachusetts, but it is very present and in some ways worse.
I was discussing how much I liked the Mainers...how nice they were. My cousin from Massachusetts was quick to tell me how racist they were.
No,... I didn't see anything like that.
Did you see any people of color?
Come to think of it, no. I didn't.
There's a reason for that.

I still like Maine. If they ever shorten that winter and get those freakin' black flies, I'm moving there.
Flies are as bad as the sand gnats in Georgia.

But back on topic:
We lived on military installations when I was young. This is the way it is (or was) when "retreat" played over the post PA system:

We stopped playing and faced the post flag. Little kids.

That's why it bugged me that there was this image of the Confederacy right next to the American Flag when we did live off post in Georgia.

And that's why it bothered me seeing the Confederate flag at full staff in South Carolina when the American Flag was at half staff. That flag should not have been flying over our nation's flag.

If you want to fly the flag of the former Soviet Union, North Korea, or a Nazi flag....etc....okay. Fine. Just don't disrespect my flag with it

·
Registered
921 Posts
I agree the Confederate Flag should have been removed from all southern state government buildings on April 9, 1865.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The things people get bent out of shape about has always amazed me. I'm from the south, have been here all my life. Never owned had a Confederate flag, never planned to, but it is a part of our heritage. The flag has nothing to do with slavery or racism, never has. Somewhere along the line it was associated with it, and should have never been. The flag symbolizes the unity of the confederate states during the Civil War not slavery or racism, but some have flown it in the past while being involved in certain disturbing activities that have given it the wrong persona. I have no issue with the flag either being flown or not, but I do not think it should be banned from the public. Maybe it should not be flown at state capitals, but the true history was not intended to be racist. It is sad that things have gotten so blown out of proportion. I try not to offend anyone, but sometimes it can not be helped. Where does it all stop. Someone is always going to feel wronged or offended. Now we are just offending someone else by removing it. I do not believe in racism or slavery, I think it is wrong. We are all equal. A flag is not going to change my thinking on how I feel.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
The things people get bent out of shape about has always amazed me. I'm from the south, have been here all my life. Never owned had a Confederate flag, never planned to, but it is a part of our heritage. The flag has nothing to do with slavery or racism, never has. Somewhere along the line it was associated with it, and should have never been. The flag symbolizes the unity of the confederate states during the Civil War not slavery or racism, but some have flown it in the past while being involved in certain disturbing activities that have given it the wrong persona. I have no issue with the flag either being flown or not, but I do not think it should be banned from the public. Maybe it should not be flown at state capitals, but the true history was not intended to be racist. It is sad that things have gotten so blown out of proportion. I try not to offend anyone, but sometimes it can not be helped. Where does it all stop. Someone is always going to feel wronged or offended. Now we are just offending someone else by removing it. I do not believe in racism or slavery, I think it is wrong. We are all equal. A flag is not going to change my thinking on how I feel.
Please explain this well rounded and well thought out fairy tale to the entire Southern Brother Hood of Extremist Patriots that think that this symbol Should be Honored and Not used to reflect Hatread of another Race of Human Being ...

So you are a proud Man from the Southern State of Alabama ..I Built a Foundation for a Southern Baptist Church in Mobile Alabama when I was 18 years old and was treated very well by this construction Co. and it;s labor employees .. and I am from Chi town born and raised for the first 18 years when I left to seek alternatives to a laborious and tedious Norm ..
I have spent many years in the Southern States and South West until I found a Lifestyle that I could finally agree with ...PEACE......Surfing..and Building Cars ...

1 - 20 of 134 Posts