Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know if there is a way to configure our cars equipped with keyless start to stall if someone tries to drive away with it without the key fob? Including yourself if you forget to take it with you LOL. I’m thinking like when you have it warming up in your driveway and you are in the house. I have tried this before and you can drive off without the key fob. Looks to me like it would be possible to do with this technology. Forgive me if this appears someplace else, I couldn’t find it. BTW, I have a 2014 2-LT with factory keyless start. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
It's a safety feature. It gives you a chance to drive back and get it or a fail safe if the battery on the FOB is low.

A vehicle should never be programmed to shut off unless absolutely necessary. Not even the OnStar system kills the engine.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's a safety feature. It gives you a chance to drive back and get it or a fail safe if the battery on the FOB is low.

A vehicle should never be programmed to shut off unless absolutely necessary. Not even the OnStar system kills the engine.
But what about the stories I've heard of OnStar killing the engine and locking the doors on a car involved in a police chase?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, I believe that On-Star can kill the engine, but that’s only after the involvement of law enforcement. Guess I didn’t think about the battery going dead. That would suck to stall just because the battery in the key fob went dead.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
But what about the stories I've heard of OnStar killing the engine and locking the doors on a car involved in a police chase?
I have never seen anything in the OnStar system other than a speed limiting feature.It also triggers reduced engine power (same way if say a fuel pressure regulator failed).

As for locking doors I mean the handles are physically linked to always unlock the doors. Again a safety thing. So you can’t lock them in.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have never seen anything in the OnStar system other than a speed limiting feature.It also triggers reduced engine power (same way if say a fuel pressure regulator failed).

As for locking doors I mean the handles are physically linked to always unlock the doors. Again a safety thing. So you can’t lock them in.
I stand corrected. From the OnStar site: Stolen Vehicle Assistance Helps Stop Thieves

Recovery

If the vehicle is parked and turned off, the OnStar Advisor can use Remote Ignition Block™* to prevent the engine from being restarted, allowing the police to recover the vehicle. If the vehicle is moving and after police have confirmed the vehicle is in sight, the Advisor can activate its emergency flashers — unbeknownst to the thief — for verification purposes.

When authorities confirm conditions are appropriate, the Advisor can activate Stolen Vehicle Slowdown,®* which gradually slows the vehicle to an idle speed. All that’s left for police to do is to give you a call and let you know the good news. OnStar’s technology and strong partnerships with law enforcement have helped recover stolen vehicles and capture thieves since 1996.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There you go. Thanks, I guess idle speed is the next best thing to total shut down. I still think it would be kinda cool to have the car shut down after someone put it in gear without the key fob. I replace my fob batteries every 2 years regardless of condition because I know how quickly they can go without warning. I learned that the hard way with the original equipment batteries. Luckily I was at home and had access to my Wife’s fob.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Hey, does anyone know if there is a way to configure our cars equipped with keyless start to stall if someone tries to drive away with it without the key fob?
You'd have to find a way to re-write the code the BCM uses. Not really practical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts