Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago I took my 2011 Cruze eco into the dealership for a whining sound while driving. There's a couple threads on that topic around here. Anyhow my transmission was replaced due to "internal failure". I thought some things looked different than my original but I didn't think anything of it, because I know they "redesigned" the transmission for the 2013+... Until I decided I wanted to purchase the MTech short shifter. I saw two different designs for it, one for '11/12 design and the '13+. So here is my current transmission (I took the nut off so I could decide on a short shifter) I noticed I was missing the black alignment tool thingy? that was facing the front, this is circled in red.

I thought I should have the dealership check on it to make sure it wasn't forgotten. After a check by the guy that "only works on transmissions", he told the service advisor that, that piece is there when the part is delivered but it needs to be taken off for the transmission to shift.... Umm what?!

Can someone make sense of this for me, cuz it sounds like bs to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
That is the shift control housing, and it appears to be missing the "blocking device" (circled in red).

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I don't think it is a huge deal not having it attached. However I would want it on my tranny. When they pulled the block out after install, they must have broken it, and removed it all together. It is my understanding that it is to be "snapped" out but still installed on the transmission. If your trans needs further service in the future they may need to find a new "blocking device" to enable removing the shift control housing. There should be no leaks providing they followed the service specs that call for new o-rings for the housing.
I personally would reach out to a GM tech, to confirm my "understandings", and follow up with the dealer who performed the work if confirmed.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
That's a pin that goes into the shift housing on the transmission. Its purpose is to locate the shift selector while the cables are attached and lined up to the shifter in the console (it has a locator on it too). It should have two positions, IN (locked shifter) and OUT (unlocked shifter). With the pin in the out position the shifter should operate normally.

Once the shifter is installed and aligned properly it serves no purpose, but you'll need it if you ever need to align your shifter again. I can't tell from the pictures if it could be a source of a leak (or dirt entering the transmission) or not, but I definitely think it's supposed to stay there.

Maybe someone with the new transmission can have a closer look at theirs? Either way I'd want it there, no doubt about it. Good eye, BTW!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
That's a pin that goes into the shift housing on the transmission. Its purpose is to locate the shift selector while the cables are attached and lined up to the shifter in the console (it has a locator on it too). It should have two positions, IN (locked shifter) and OUT (unlocked shifter). With the pin in the out position the shifter should operate normally.

Once the shifter is installed and aligned properly it serves no purpose, but you'll need it if you ever need to align your shifter again. I can't tell from the pictures if it could be a source of a leak (or dirt entering the transmission) or not, but I definitely think it's supposed to stay there.

Maybe someone with the new transmission can have a closer look at theirs? Either way I'd want it there, no doubt about it. Good eye, BTW!
Thanks Blue, thought I was on the right track!:eek:ccasion14:
Multiple sources are always good.

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on wiping it clean to keep an eye on it.

I actually went to the dealership today because I was curious about it. I had similar info you guys do and was mildly concerned. I'll have to look at the service paperwork to type word for work, but the tech didn't make much sense.

·
10,712 Posts
Yes, that is the 13 and up tranny shifter and that black piece could have stayed on for it to work. If you push the black piece in you, only have R-1-2-3-4 as 5 and 6 are locked out. I assume they ship with the piece left in and they completely removed it. As Blue angel said, it's no longer needed once it's installed correctly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that is the 13 and up tranny shifter and that black piece could have stayed on for it to work. If you push the black piece in you, only have R-1-2-3-4 as 5 and 6 are locked out. I assume they ship with the piece left in and they completely removed it. As Blue angel said, it's no longer needed once it's installed correctly.
I apologize. I read your last post in the wrong context.

·
10,712 Posts
I apologize. I read your last post in the wrong context.

I'm referring the the 2 pics in the 1st post and I had to go look at mine just to make sure. Most likely they drove with the black piece in and ruled out it was an issue to stay attached to the trans. For all we know this piece was suppose to be ripped off after assembly and it was deemed time consuming to do after the fact. Have you noticed anything different with this trans over the old one before it was failing?

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm referring the the 2 pics in the 1st post and I had to go look at mine just to make sure. Most likely they drove with the black piece in and ruled out it was an issue to stay attached to the trans. For all we know this piece was suppose to be ripped off after assembly and it was deemed time consuming to do after the fact. Have you noticed anything different with this trans over the old one before it was failing?

Sent from my iFail 5s
Not really, other than the crummy stock fluid. But I had the '11 tranny in my car before this, so I never drove it with that black piece attached.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sent from my iFail 5s
You know, now that I think of it, to say it's supposed to be ripped off seems just odd since so many brand new manuals still have that black piece attached from the factory. Idk I'm probably making a bigger deal about it than I should.

·
10,712 Posts
You know, now that I think of it, to say it's supposed to be ripped off seems just odd since so many brand new manuals still have that black piece attached from the factory. Idk I'm probably making a bigger deal about it than I should.

I've only heard of Sonics needing to readjust the shifter cables. My only issues were the 1>2 shift grinds and not being able to downshift to 1 while slowing down for a stop sign above 5 MPH. I'm just speculating that it could have been left on our trans for future overhaul or it's just there for initial assembly like the screws(sometimes lock washer on wheel stud) holding rotors and drums on till the wheels went on.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I know you've said that before Merc6 but it doesn't resemble the other assembly.
The original design required a pin (5mm I think) to be inserted to lock the shift mechanism in place while the shifter cables were aligned on the shifter. The new design incorporates that pin into that plastic piece. My bet is they did it to improve the process at the assembly plant, no longer requiring the 5mm pin tool on the line. The transmission likely ships with the pin engaged, and all they need to do is slide that plastic clip/pin out after the car is built.

As long as removing it doesn't open up a leak path there's no need for it, unless you need to align the shifter some time in the future. If you don't ever see a need for that then I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I would rather have it there in case I needed it, but I'm the type who's always futzing with stuff...

You could always align the shifter by just sticking the right size pin in the hole later on if necessary. I used a drill bit (nearest fit to 1/64") to align my '12, which is the original design.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The original design required a pin (5mm I think) to be inserted to lock the shift mechanism in place while the shifter cables were aligned on the shifter. The new design incorporates that pin into that plastic piece. My bet is they did it to improve the process at the assembly plant, no longer requiring the 5mm pin tool on the line. The transmission likely ships with the pin engaged, and all they need to do is slide that plastic clip/pin out after the car is built.

As long as removing it doesn't open up a leak path there's no need for it, unless you need to align the shifter some time in the future. If you don't ever see a need for that then I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I would rather have it there in case I needed it, but I'm the type who's always futzing with stuff...

You could always align the shifter by just sticking the right size pin in the hole later on if necessary. I used a drill bit (nearest fit to 1/64") to align my '12, which is the original design.
haha I tend to fiddle with things as well. I was just making sure I wouldn't come across any negative effects later down the road. I'll probably request to speak with the tech directly since I don't think the service advisors always translate the information very well. Thank you guys so much!

Once I get some ramps or a new jack, new trans fluid is replacing the stock crap. BadNewsRacing just shipped my short shifter so thats going in the day I get that sucker!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts