Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Cruze LT with 15k miles on it that I have had for a week now. Im really confused as to what is going on with my gas tank/MPG. When I left the dealership last week I had a full tank. Today is the first time I have had to fill up. I let it go until my low fuel gage light came on which at that time said I had 40 miles left on the tank, the needle was on “E”. Out of that full tank of gas I got right at 400 miles avg 35.1 mpg according to the trip meter, yes I did reset it before I drove off the lot. Today I filled up doing a slow fill and wasn’t able to get more than 12.4 gallons in the tank. I was under the impression that I had a 15.6 gal tank. So the question is, is my tank smaller than what I thought it was or is my fuel gage really that off and I still had 3 gallons left in the tank even though the needle was on E and my low fuel light came on at 40 miles left of fuel. I apologize if this has already been addressed I am new to the website and did try to find a similar situation like mine but was unable too.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Typically, most cars will turn the fuel light on with 2-3 gallons still to spare in the tank. It gives you a 'more than enough' window to get to a station, and keeps your fuel pump alive, as fuel is needed to cool it so it doesn't overheat and prematurely fail.

It wouldn't be smart if the light comes on when you have 2 miles to go, lol. Not only would thousands be stranded on the road on a daily basis, but dealerships would probably have to devote an entire wall for stocking fuel pumps.. lol.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've driven until the light a couple times. Usually takes about 50 litres to fill which means 8 litres still inside.

As Taurus said, it's done to give you enough time to get gas before you really run out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when it says 40 miles left which should equal just over a gallon there is really probably 2 or 3 which would explain why I could only get just over 12 gallons in. I wouldn’t normally let it go until the light comes on just wanted to get a feel for what I can get since it’s a new car to me. Which means I do have a 15.6 gal tank? That is the part that really threw me off. In my HHR I had before when the light came on and said 40 miles left and I filled it up I actually would put 15 gallons in which was correct since it was a 16 gal tank. In my first post I failed to mention that on the dash it said I had used 10.5 gallons so it sounds like it is being very generous with what I am really using if I was able to put 12 in today. One more quick question maybe someone can answer...is buying a K&N replacement filter worth it?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
LT's have 15.6gal tanks, yes.

I have a complete K&N intake system, so I couldn't tell you about the drop-in filter personally, but a lot of members here that do have them seem to think so.

Reactions: rbt_cruze

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. It’s a little disappointing that the gage isn’t as accurate as I was hoping. My trip odometer said I averaged 35mpg on that tank when really it was about 30. I’m going to use fuelly and track it for a while.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the responses. It’s a little disappointing that the gage isn’t as accurate as I was hoping. My trip odometer said I averaged 35mpg on that tank when really it was about 30. I’m going to use fuelly and track it for a while.
The mpg reading on these cars is pretty inaccurate.Mine showed 38.6 this morning when I filled my car up.I calculated the mileage and it was actually 32.06.I have 3300 miles on my car and do about 95% highway driving and have never gotten the claimed 38 mpg's.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
The DIC mpg may not be accurate at first, but as miles and time go by, I hear it starts to even itself out a little bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a few posts where people are talking about how it can adapt to your driving. If this is true I bought the car used, it has 15k miles on it. Maybe once I get some miles on it it might change. I also do 95% highway driving, about 90 miles round trip to and from work.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
I have a drop in filter. What it does, it helps the car breathe a little better than the stock filter. For the 1.4 you would have to go with K&N. I have the 1.8 but it is the same idea as far as air flow. I have an AEM drop in and I would presume the K&N would do the same.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
My ECO MT's low fuel light comes on with 60 miles to empty. This is about 1.5 gallons.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I've seen a few posts where people are talking about how it can adapt to your driving. If this is true I bought the car used, it has 15k miles on it. Maybe once I get some miles on it it might change. I also do 95% highway driving, about 90 miles round trip to and from work.
At 15K, you do have some miles on it. But your DIC won't be correcting itself. I have been tracking my DIC accuracy since new, 23,000 miles. It has always been between 2.5%-5.3% optimistic compared to actual. Readings have been up & down, not trending towards zero. It can't correct itself, there is nothing in the system to calibrate the actual reading(from the pump) into control module(what engine thinks it's consuming).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts