Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's excellent '09 Cobalt was just totalled a week ago--she has a fractured wrist but otherwise OK--and I'm thinking about a used Cruze for her.

I'm trying to avoid earlier ('11-13 or so) models due to all the issues. I can get a '15 LS for what I want to pay, and with GM warranties remaining.

Is the 1.8 a better reliability choice, so far, than the 1.4T in the first-gen cars? I'm thinking simpler and more displacement are good things for a heavier compact like a Cruze. (BTW, I own a '17 Cruze LT).

I see the 1.8 has a timing belt though--ugh. What's a dealer get for replacing that and all related stuff in that job?

Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Glad your daughter made it out of that ok!

Is the 1.8 a better reliability choice, so far, than the 1.4T in the first-gen cars? I'm thinking simpler and more displacement are good things for a heavier compact like a Cruze. (BTW, I own a '17 Cruze LT).
In short - yes. It's gutless, though.

The later 1.4's are less problem-prone, but you'll still have the typical 1.4 PCV and water pump issues at some point in the car's life.

I see the 1.8 has a timing belt though--ugh. What's a dealer get for replacing that and all related stuff in that job?
Generally in the $6-800 range.

I'm not sure what your exact budget is, but you can also pick up a NEW 2016.5/2017 LS for pretty cheap these days when they go up on a special sale/tag clearance event.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have $1K in GM goodwill cash and if they are still offering $1K to finance, I can buy a new LS in the $13's somewhere. But my daughter says she hates the stop/start so much in our new one, she'd prefer the used one! LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, a 59-year old man hit my daughter. He is being charged with failure to yield and leaving the scene. A bystander actually followed him and talked him into returning!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
BTW, a 59-year old man hit my daughter. He is being charged with failure to yield and leaving the scene. A bystander actually followed him and talked him into returning!
Glad your daughter is alright! Wow, that's wild.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The couple '15 LS's I'm looking at are advertised at $10,787. One has 24K; one has 31K. The Carfax for the 31K shows four oil changes at a dealer; the other, none (of course I know that's not to say it's had none). I'm leaning towards the 31K in case there's a problem, I can post that it's had oil changes (for warranty issues). The 31K was put into service later (i.e., 3/36 lasts longer on the calendar) but of course I know it has fewer miles remaining on the 3/36.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
If you're buying used, are you heading towards a Certified Pre-Owned or just a regular used car?

Difference being, with a CPO you get a 2yr/24k maintenance program along with a 1 yr/12k mile B2B. Not sure if the B2B carries over from the original owner or not, but with a CPO, the powertrain lasts 5/100k.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Certified looks like it adds about a couple grand to the price. If I buy a used '15 with 31K miles, I should get the remaining 5K on the BTB warranty and remainder of the 5/100K powertrain warranty anyway. I'm avoiding 'certified'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.