Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a new car, and it's likely going to be a Cruze. My previous car, a Sonic, was rear ended a couple weeks ago. The damage wasn't terrible, but it was enough to total it as far as the insurance company is concerned. I loved my Sonic, but the Cruze is a bit more refined and nicer quality interior. I had a tuned Sonic, and intend to tune the Cruze as well.

I'm aiming for a 2016 used Cruze. It's got the advantages of the model refresh, but a bit cheaper than a new Cruze. Honestly though, I really dislike buying cars and am never sure if I'm getting a good deal or not. I also tend to creep up my budget until I'm spending too much. It's all kinda stressful. I hope to report my results in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Honestly though, I really dislike buying cars and am never sure if I'm getting a good deal or not. I also tend to creep up my budget until I'm spending too much. It's all kinda stressful.
Me too. Try TrueCar.com for figuring out what would be considered a "good deal" for a certain car in your area. Not sure it existed when I bought my Cruze in '11, but it was very insightful when I bought a new Colorado last year. Always ask for the "out the door" price including any title/temp tag fees and other dealer fees, which vary from free to several hundred dollars.

Other games you can play:

-Try to pit multiple dealer's offers against each other. What they list on their website is not necessarily their bottom dollar, particularly at the end of a month/year when they are trying to meet their sales quotas. If you are a repeat customer at the dealership, you may have more leverage.
-[Disclamer: not sure this one works on used vehicles...I've only tried it on new] If financially able to pay cash, get a loan if there is a dealer/GM kickback, and then pay it off in the fewest allowed number of payments. The minimum number of payments to avoid incurring an early payoff fee varies depending on the lender. I was told GMAC is 4 payments. Bank of America has no early payoff fee. Saved ~$900 on my Colorado this way.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,487 Posts
Keep in mind the 16 model year's split between the Gen 2 (2016.5) and Gen 1 (2016 Cruze Limited).

SO far, even the 2016.5's have been fairly reliable despite being new from the ground up. The last of the Gen 1's should have had most of the kinks from the 1st gen powertrain worked out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would use the depreciation to your advantage, and buy a low mileage used one, I did. The Cruze also has an excellent crash safety rating too.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That's one reason i bought 1 year old new. I'm 1 year up on the mileage. Plus the 20% savings over current new year. But that depreciation stings. But DOES make it an easier sell as I'll have the lowest mileage vehicle on the market.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Opie , you will find the cruze is a HUGE improvement beyond sonic in every way.
Except sonic has two glove compartments....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts