Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello cruze forum members. I am contemplating on purchasing a brand new 2016 Chevy Cruze limited with the automatic transmission. I am debating whether to get the 1.8 liter or go for the diesel model. Here is my current driving habits. I basically drive no more than 12000 miles per year so between 800 and 1,000 miles per month. I would say that 75% of the miles are surface streets in Los Angeles traffic. The other 25% is freeway but with traffic. Which one of the two models would give me the best miles per gallon and the best reliability overall. I'm planning on keeping the new car for at least 10 to 12 years. thank you all very much for your input and I look forward to your responses and recommendations.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,003 Posts
I think diesels are happiest has highway machines. Also, a lot more gassers have been built than diesels - in the long run it will be easier to find parts and service for a gasser.

You might also consider the 1.4T. Same max horsepower, but more of it in the bottom end.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
I would have to agree with ChevyGuy on getting the 1.4 turbo. I absolutely love my 1.4 turbo Cruze. It has plenty of power and gets phenomenal MPG. I work at a Chevy dealer and we use the 1.8's as rental cars, and they just feel overworked. Plus they generally get lower MPG and they also use a timing belt instead of a chain. I cannot personally speak for the Diesel Cruze, but I do know that they cost significantly more than say a 1LT turbo. You must also factor in the cost of the Diesel additive, which at your yearly mileage makes more sense to stick with the gasoline engine. Newer Cruzes have most of the bugs worked out, but the best way to keep these in good shape for 10 years is to keep up on maintenance (oil changes mostly). That will get you the best reliability. Best of luck with your purchase!
 
  • Like
Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
First, Welcome to the forums. As for the possible new car purchase, I agree with others, the diesel isn't the best choice for city driving. I'd also recommend at least a LT model with the 1.4T engine over the 1.8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Welcome Hector. I think you're getting good advice from these guys. I don't think the diesel will be available in 2016. Good luck.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top