Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped out my 16" Firestone FR710 for some Conti Pure Contact (EcoPlus LRR version) tires earlier this week, and now have ~100 or so miles driving on them.

The Firestones are an "S" rated tire (yuck); I sprung for the "V" rated Contis for a stiffer sidewall and more cornering ability.

I am very impressed - they are a massive step up over the Firestones. The traction is fantastic - I can corner like an idiot and grip like the car's on rails and won't squeal at all unless I mash the gas coming out of a corner. They can take off from a hard launch with very minimal slippage compared to the Firestones - a brief dig for traction and off you go. They don't spin on damp roads under light acceleration around a right turn like the Firestones did quite often, and they feel very sure-footed in heavy rain. They are very quiet in comparison - not completely silent, but they make now the Cruze hands-down the quietest car that I have owned.

Ride quality is probably on par with the FR710; they may be just a tiny bit stiffer over large pavement imperfections, but otherwise, it's a smooth cruiser.

No impressions on gas mileage yet - I will need a highway trip for that. They claim to be a LRR tire, but some reviews on Tire Rack did note that MPG went down slightly (mostly those in Prii or TDIs). A MPG drop is normal for a couple thousand miles with any set of new tires, so I don't know whether they were evaluating them right off the bat or after some break-in time. I would gladly give up a few MPG for better traction in bad weather, something the Firestones were never great at.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Does it snow in Northern , Va J ? if not you should be confident with them new conti's ..

·
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it snow in Northern , Va J ? if not you should be confident with them new conti's ..
Sometimes lots, sometimes barely at all. That was one of the major reasons I replaced with still a bit of treadlife left on the old ones (they weren't QUITE to the wearbars yet, but would have been useless in snow). We kept getting 8-12" dumped on us in storms last year; 2012, we had maybe at most 2" accumulate in one storm.

My Conti DWS's were amazing all-seasons in snow; reviews seem to be favorable on these as well. I've heard the ProContacts are pretty terrible.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
That's the tire I'm considering next time around.... should have bought it last time. Cheaped out and bought Hankook Optimo H727. Ride is quieter & softer than the firestones but performance wise I can break them loose with ease even on dry pavement. I also had one of the rear tires wear funny so now have a tire for 10K+ that has made some noise.

Was gonna swap out before winter because of the noisy tire, but decided since I drive slow in the winter 90% of the time to try and accumulate more miles on this set(currently only have about 25K on these).

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Sometimes lots, sometimes barely at all. That was one of the major reasons I replaced with still a bit of treadlife left on the old ones (they weren't QUITE to the wearbars yet, but would have been useless in snow). We kept getting 8-12" dumped on us in storms last year; 2012, we had maybe at most 2" accumulate in one storm.

My Conti DWS's were amazing all-seasons in snow; reviews seem to be favorable on these as well. I've heard the ProContacts are pretty terrible.
Have you forgot snowmaggedon ?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Wasn't here. I lived in SW VA that year; we got hammered but nowhere near that bad.
Are we talking about 2008 when we had like a 3 foot dump in 12 hours? lol
I was living in Alexandria until I got new orders to come out here to Buckley AFB XD

Reactions: Merc6

·
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are we talking about 2008 when we had like a 3 foot dump in 12 hours? lol
I was living in Alexandria until I got new orders to come out here to Buckley AFB XD
I think Snowmageddon was 2010... 2 ft dumped while everyone was still at work or on their way home.

I got stuck in that - SW VA got ~15" in a few hours. Had a Honda with stock tires that got stuck EVERYWHERE.

Will be buying these or the DWS in the very near future. Thanks for the real world review. I've had DWSs on my past few cars and agree, best all-season tire in the snow hands down.
The DWS were fantastically grippy tires for me in all conditions. But they were noisy and the treadlife was just terrible (20-25K out of a set was about normal for me on a FWD Volvo). Hoping these ones wear better.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I think Snowmageddon was 2010... 2 ft dumped while everyone was still at work or on their way home.

I got stuck in that - SW VA got ~15" in a few hours. Had a Honda with stock tires that got stuck EVERYWHERE.
Yea I think I left in Sept-Oct of 2010 so I don't remember that one haha

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was about an inch away from putting a conti extreme contact on my Mazda, ordered some in to my shop, was enjoying how light they were, then a customer came in with a flat tire on a dws and it was absolutely a nightmare to fix, they use very thin inner materials and a somewhat soft construction compound that makes buffing them without tearing up the inner liner almost impossible. That is how I feel about them as someone who ends up fixing my own tires. My buddy put them on his car and within the first week he'd picked up a nail in one tire and a rock in another. So they puncture pretty easily too as that's the first either of us have ever had to fix a tire .

NNot knocking them, but we havetons of gravel roads around here and that's my experiencetoshare with y'all .

·
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I was about an inch away from putting a conti extreme contact on my Mazda, ordered some in to my shop, was enjoying how light they were, then a customer came in with a flat tire on a dws and it was absolutely a nightmare to fix, they use very thin inner materials and a somewhat soft construction compound that makes buffing them without tearing up the inner liner almost impossible. That is how I feel about them as someone who ends up fixing my own tires. My buddy put them on his car and within the first week he'd picked up a nail in one tire and a rock in another. So they puncture pretty easily too as that's the first either of us have ever had to fix a tire .

NNot knocking them, but we havetons of gravel roads around here and that's my experiencetoshare with y'all .
Interesting. I completely destroyed a Firestone hitting some small unknown object in the road and it shredded the sidewall entirely. Another had a huge hole gouged in the tread by a giant bolt thing, but that ones understandable.

[/URL]

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yeah. That'll happen to any tire that gets run flat on. I had one the other day that went flat in the parking lot and shredded on the trip to a shop bay. It was a Wal-Mart Goodyear though.

Like I said. The continental lines are good tires, but living in an area where puncture is more frequent, they've been bad juju for me and anyone who's had them. Just some info to share.

·
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. That'll happen to any tire that gets run flat on. I had one the other day that went flat in the parking lot and shredded on the trip to a shop bay. It was a Wal-Mart Goodyear though.

Like I said. The continental lines are good tires, but living in an area where puncture is more frequent, they've been bad juju for me and anyone who's had them. Just some info to share.
That happened within a 1/4 mile lol. Flat by the time I could stop.

·
Registered
481 Posts
How big was the puncture? Ido see this type of damage daily on every brand of tire. It's just the weight of the car crushing the sidewall at speed under the wheel. To be flat and do that in 1/4 mile after initial puncture means it had to be a rather large hole.

I wasn't trying to start an argument, just personal experience.

·
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm pointing at the puncture.

No argument; thin sidewall doesn't seem to be unique to the Contis. I've blown out the sidewall on something else too, but can't remember if it was a Yokohama or a BF Goodrich.

I would wager a bet that the higher speed rated tires also have a slightly better inner construction as well. Except that inner rubber layer you were talking about.

·
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Long trip last weekend. Still very impressed; it was pouring down rain and they felt just as sure-footed as they do on dry pavement.

Only demerit I can find is that they do ride a little rougher over uneven pavement than the stock tires, but again, I kinda expected that since I went from an S-rated tire to a V. And I'm fine with that - the turn-in response is wonderful.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Long trip last weekend. Still very impressed; it was pouring down rain and they felt just as sure-footed as they do on dry pavement.

Only demerit I can find is that they do ride a little rougher over uneven pavement than the stock tires, but again, I kinda expected that since I went from an S-rated tire to a V. And I'm fine with that - the turn-in response is wonderful.
Now you just need yer new rubbers to smell like bacon when you take on a hard turn!

·
17,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I think I'm seeing ~ a 2 MPG hit in highway driving. It could be the cold as well (35 deg), but I took an long, easy back-road route yesterday where I normally average 44-45 MPG @ 60 MPH on the dash; I was struggling to do over 42.

XtremeRevolution noted that these tires have a much larger contact patch with the pavement than almost anything else in the same tire size.

And yeah, the ride is definitely more firm since it got colder. Won't be running these over 38 PSI.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts